News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aftermarket Radio install in 69 dash?

Started by mopar0166, June 17, 2008, 10:52:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar0166

I have a 69 charger, that had a rigged up radio put in and now that I have the dash apart and im looking at the dash frame i dont see a mounting surfrace or anything to hold it on place except for the bezel.  do they make a kit for this?  also has anyone used the stock wiring for an after market stereo?   :shruggy:

bear

For holding the radio in place in the back of most after market radios they have either a threaded pin or a hole in the back that you could put a bolt on and all you need to do is get a roll of hanger strap and put that on the radio and then mount it to a place on your dash frame and it should hold it just fine. Also there should be a mounting sleeve (metal basket that goes around the radio)which holds it to the dash so it doesn't slid out. And for wiring the radio since the wiring diagram I have doesn't help much you need to find a constant hot and that will connect to the big yellow wire from the radio next you need to find a positive that is on when the ignition is on (switched power) this can come from the ignition switch and that will connect to the red wire coming from your radio , just get the right one or your radio will be on all the time, and last you need a ground which is the black wire from the radio you can just ground the radio to the dash frame or if you want to you can have a negative wire go to the grounding point, not necessary but if you want to you can. The rest of the wires are there for the speakers and depending on how new of a radio it is there are other wires for other options that your radio may have (power antenna, amp outputs, remote on/off for amp, etc.)  If you need anything else just let me know.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Leave the stocker in there & get an under dash mounting kit from Crutchfield or mount it in the glove box ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mopar0166

Wish I could keep the orignal in the stock place, but i didnt get one when i bought my car.   It did come with a late 80's or early 90s tape deck that I might use for now then upgrade later.   

I liked the idea of using the mounting strip to give extra support in the back of the stereo.    Since I finished the dash speakers last night, i might start on the radio tonight.    thanks everyone.  :2thumbs:

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 18, 2008, 01:07:54 PM
Leave the stocker in there & get an under dash mounting kit from Crutchfield or mount it in the glove box ;)

Any specific link to a part @ their web site?
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...