News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carlisle 2009 - Block of Rooms??

Started by hemigeno, June 18, 2008, 10:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you interested in making a tentative reservation for a room at the Quality Inn for Carlisle 2009?

I plan to be there and would like a room at the Quality Inn
10 (29.4%)
I plan to be there but can't commit to a room @ Quality Inn (maybe)
7 (20.6%)
I plan to be there, but will not be staying at the Quality Inn
6 (17.6%)
I don't plan on attending Carlisle, but wanted to vote in this poll anyway
11 (32.4%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: July 09, 2008, 10:10:29 AM

hemigeno

Hey everyone,

Last year when I was reserving rooms for this year's event, the staff at the Quality Inn ( linky ) in Carlisle told me that it was more than possible for us to get a large block of rooms reserved for DodgeCharger.com folks.  Several of us have been staying there for a few years, and it's a nice place right off of the main drag in Carlisle itself.  They have a large lot for trailer parking behind the hotel as well.

A few days ago when I was confirming my reservations for this year, I asked again about the block of rooms.  We can still get rooms for the 2009 Chryslers at Carlisle show (that's next year for anyone who is numerically-challenged), but the sooner we can make the arrangements the easier it will be to get them located together near the rear parking lot where we all tend to hang out.  Also, they promised me we would get a discount off of the normal car-show-inflated rates.  What that discount is depends on how many rooms we are booking, and I get the feeling it's somewhat negotiable.

I'd like to get an idea of the number of DC.com folks who are TENTATIVELY interested.  A vote in this poll is not a commitment to get a room.  Even after we place the block reservation, I'm confident no one would get stuck paying for a room if their plans did happen to change since the demand for rooms at those shows is so incredibly high.  They may retroactively adjust our collective discounted rate if only a small number of folks show up, so please don't vote "yes" unless you're seriously considering attending.

Again, I don't know what the rate would be.  For 2008, the rate during the show is something in the neighborhood of $140/nite for Friday & Saturday night IIRC.  I know that's not exactly a bargain for a hotel room in the middle of Pennsylvania, but by car show standards it's about normal and it's right in the heart of Carlisle.  We should be able to negotiate that down some depending on our block's size. 

This poll will end in 21 days, so I will get the ball rolling based on the feedback we have at that time.

Thanks!!

Gene

P.S.  If you need two rooms, want Thursday night also, or have any other special requests/needs just send me a PM.

Old Moparz

I thought about staying there this year, but the place I normally stay at is half that price. It's been worth the extra 10 or 12 minute ride since I'm there for a couple of nights.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

hemigeno

That's true, Bob.  I figured there will be some folks who don't stay at the Quality Inn or any other Carlisle-located motel for that very reason.  Even the run-down Pike Motel jacks their prices way up for Carlisle events.

There are, however, several members (who will remain anonymous, of course!  :whistling: ) that start getting a little  :silly:  as the night wears on.  For them, not having a 15 minute drive in the wee hours of the morning is a good thing...  :P

Personally, I just prefer being a little closer to the event - but that's me.  A few guys are splitting the cost of a room, which knocks the price down to a more reasonable rate as well.  That won't work for everyone though, I know.

Either way, we're just trying to get a group of us staying together at a common location.  If the consensus opinion is that we need to select a different location, that can be discussed as well. 

:cheers:

gtx6970

I might be interested in this but it really depends on room rates and hotel conditions. If so I'll need 2 rooms non-smoking.
I switched to the Holiday Inn this year, and I hope it's as good as when I stayed there in years past. The Comfort Suites we stayed at the past 4 years wouldn't let us use the corpororate discount rate , thus why the move to HolidayInn. I have to watch overhead costs and $150 or more  a night for just someplace to sleep is a rip off

Chris G.

We are always a lock for 2 rooms. Next year I am booking 3 rooms, so if they can be added in with the others I am all for it. We make these reservations the morning we leave so let me know how you want to swing it.

Quality Inn is expensive, but the location is second to none, and the cars in the lot are always nice to check out. There's also a nice kart track 100ft behind the hotel for some grudge match racing.

2much2learn

well it really depends if my charger is "fit' enough to go on a road trip, but if it hauls half a donkeys ass then you can definitely count me in for a room :2thumbs:
I say " determined to restore the Charger" SHE hears " Stubborn to throw your money away"   dx_Xb

firefighter3931

That's a great idea Geno....i've tried for the last 2 years to get a reservation there with no luck.  :brickwall: Count me in for a room  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Dodge Don

Quote from: Chris G. on June 18, 2008, 09:42:25 PM
We are always a lock for 2 rooms. Next year I am booking 3 rooms, so if they can be added in with the others I am all for it. We make these reservations the morning we leave so let me know how you want to swing it.

Quality Inn is expensive, but the location is second to none, and the cars in the lot are always nice to check out. There's also a nice kart track 100ft behind the hotel for some grudge match racing.

Am I room 3? Because I am absolutely gunning to debut my Charger there in 2009.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: Chris G. on June 18, 2008, 09:42:25 PM
There's also a nice kart track 100ft behind the hotel for some grudge match racing.

Awesome. Count me in for that. I used to race 90+ km/h go-karts in a race series so watch out ;) I want my Charger done for 2010 Carlisle.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

hemigeno

:bump:

I may end the poll a day or two early so there's still time to contact the motel before this year's show.  Things will book up fast, so it'll be MUCH better to set things up on Tuesday or Wednesday (I'm hitting the road on Thursday).

Sooo, it looks like 10 rooms for certain, 7 maybe's, and two or three other rooms needed that aren't on the poll.  Figuring that some of the maybe's will back out and a few more will jump in, I'm thinking a 20 room block is all we need.

Barring some last-minute avalanche of votes, that's the arrangements I'll try to make sometime early this week.

Chris (G.), I'll try to make sure that we don't foul up your current room location.  I know you guys like that spot on the 2nd floor, so I'll mention that to the group sales rep.  Oh, and this time, let us know when you're heading off to the go-cart track...  :slap:   ;D

Chris G.

Quote from: hemigeno on July 06, 2008, 01:04:12 PM
I know you guys like that spot on the 2nd floor, so I'll mention that to the group sales rep. 

Believe me, nothing would make me happier than staying on the 1st floor. The non-smoker rooms are all on the second floor, which is why they always give them to us.

Can someone explain why they put smokers rooms on the 1st floor? Doesn't smoke rise?

Geno, when you reserve the block of rooms, can they vary from Thurs-Sun and Fri-Sun? I'm sure many aren't going on Thursday...but I am.  :yesnod:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Chris G. on July 06, 2008, 03:31:43 PM

Can someone explain why they put smokers rooms on the 1st floor? Doesn't smoke rise?

Yes, but the non-smokers generally have healthier lungs & can make it up & down the stairs much easier. Imagine the lawsuit that would result if a smoker had collapsed on the way up to a room, blocked the stairwell during an emergency? I'm thinking Coconut Grove all over again.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

69_500

Gene so your driving over on Thursday? What time do ya figure you'll be passing through Indy? I'll be heading off on Thursday afternoon as soon as I get home from work, and as fast as I can get a 40 year old car out of the garage, and a 4 year old strapped into it.

AKcharger

I change my vote...count me in for a room next year...will back up with CC # to hotel

quapman

I've stayed there before and it's quite nice, but NOT $169 a night nice, which is the asking price for 2009.

Will be looking elsewhere for next year very soon.

Steve

hemigeno

Quote from: quapman on July 14, 2008, 05:20:31 AM
Will be looking elsewhere for next year very soon.

We were able to negotiate a better rate than that, but don't worry - you're not obligated to stay with the group.   :cheers:

For some of us, there are reasons why it's worth the extra $$:

>>  The DodgeCharger.com nightly bench racing sessions in the back parking lot
>>  Reasonably close to the fairgrounds, and there is a back way for those who head out to the fairgrounds at the busiest times
>>  Tons of room for trailer parking in the back lot
>>  Go-Carts, Putt-Putt, Laser Tag & Batting Cages right next to the property (family-oriented, except for the DC.com grudge matches on the Go-Cart tracks :P )
>>  Clean, nice rooms (I have stayed at places that were almost as pricey and nowhere near as nice)
>>  Great breakfast spread
>>  Convenience store next door --  with ULS Diesel !!!
>>  Two 24hr restaurants, one right next door and the other is next-door to the first
>>  Traffic signal to get out of the parking lot onto Route 11 - this is really, really nice in heavy traffic times
>>  Easy access driveways for bigger vehicles/rigs

For now, I have 20 room registration forms in my folder.  I'll hopefully send them all in sometime this week, but no later than next week for sure.  The Group Sales guy has already assured me that we can get our rooms mostly together without any problems.

At the moment I am planning to request all 20 rooms to be 2 double beds, either smoking or non-smoking.  I will also ask them to give us as many rooms as possible on the backside of the building facing the small rear parking lot.  Yes, Chris & Chris G., I will try to make sure that you get the same room as always - and I'll make sure that Ron can get the fork truck right up to the sliding patio door for the Alexander Keith's deliveries.  Unless it's apparent that we need to do something different, I'm only going to get 10 of the rooms for Thursday-Friday-Saturday night.  The other 10 rooms will be for just Friday and Saturday nights.  FWIW, Thursday night's rate is considerably cheaper.

All of these rooms are going to be reserved in my name and through my credit card, but ultimately they can and should be put in the names of the people who want a room.  The question is, how to make sure that the reservation transfer is controlled the way we want it to go.  In order to do that, I am thinking of putting some sort of a unique random code on each sheet.  That way, as people want to lock in a reservation for one of these rooms, I can just "turn loose" of an individual room reservation from this block by giving you DC.com folks the code from one of the sheets.  You'd have to call the Quality Inn, and give them that particular sheet's code in order to switch the reservation out of my name into yours.  You'd have to give them a CC number to hold the reservation at that time as well, I'm sure.

If the ultimate interest level does not match what the results of this poll are, all I'd have to do is give them a call 24 hours ahead of next year's show and the unclaimed rooms can be turned back over to them.  They'll have NO problems renting them at the full rate.

Do you guys think this will work?  Any other comments/suggestions?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Geno, I think you have a great plan hashed out already.   Having the same room (258) will be cool as well.  After 3 years in a row its almost like a "tradition" now ;)
Thanks for setting this up & hopefully we can all benefit from it. :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Fantastic Gene....count me in for a room on the lower level.  :2thumbs:

Thanks, Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

dfsmopars

My wife and I would like to go for the first time but since the trip is so far we are thinking about staying the entire week prior and take in the sights in and around the area.

tommymac

? is it to late to reserve a room.I'd like to go as I just toured that area last week on Vacation,just missing Maple Grove NHRA races. Its about 5.5 hrs from Albany NY wouldn't be to bad except for no AC and poor gas milage.

hemigeno

I sent all the paperwork off to QI-Carlisle a while back, but haven't heard back just yet.  There shouldn't be any issues with our block of rooms, but I'll call in a week or so just to make sure everything is on track.

Once they've confirmed that we're all set up, I'll start setting things up so that the rooms can be claimed by DC.com members.

tommymac

alenglish

Any thing new on this    I called back in July and  it wasn't set up yet...     Big  Al
>You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move
>and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct
tape.
>

alenglish

just called   got  my room    the Quality Inn   said   there is a block of rooms  waiting        717 243 6000   exit 52B
149.99       the block is all non-smoking      mine's a smoking room      Hope to see you there    Big  Al
>You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move
>and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct
tape.
>

suntech

Stupid question guys? When is the exact dates for Carlisle?? Looks like i will have June off from work, and will do some boat testing in Reading, and go to a boatrace in Bay City MI, so it might fit in perfect with a trip to US then.  :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!