News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

01/15 Update - more brake lines - My '68 Hemi Charger R/T

Started by hemi68charger, June 17, 2008, 05:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Here's the latest.... Finally got my rear suspension components end so I can begin the rear assembly...

You'll see some of the parts to the rebuild kit, the new U-bolts, bushings and rear shackles.. I've also posted a difference picture of the differences between the new and original.... Looks like I can get it fairly close with a little grinding....

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Well, finally got one side finished for the most part...... I'm thinking of starting on the other side tomorrow.. Taking a personal day off to attend my son's elementary's ceremony of Veterans Day in uniform.. After which, it's garage time.  :icon_smile_big:

I decided to leave the leafs natural since that's the way they came new... They won't look perfect, but with the wire wheel, it didn't turn out so bad... The clamping process turned out to be easier than I thought... Thanks to Jet for the inspiration... Now I'm closer on getting the rear of the car on the ground.. The housing's painted already and have new u-bolts....

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69_500

I like the jar of BBQ sauce you have on the table Troy. Love that HEMI sauce.

TUFCAT

Quote from: 69_500 on November 11, 2008, 09:44:25 PM
I like the jar of BBQ sauce you have on the table Troy. Love that HEMI sauce.

I Like the Coors Light better!  :drool5: :drool5:

hemi68charger

We try to do things down here in the South right.......... Only thing that's not perfect is the BBQ grille situation, I hate cooking !!!!  :icon_smile_big:  That's why Don two houses over has the big iron smoker and I supply the meat and beer.....  double  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

richRTSE

QuoteI decided to leave the leafs natural since that's the way they came new...

Troy, keep up the good work.  :2thumbs: 

On a side note to the "natural" suspension color, one of our local Mopar gurus started work at a dealership here in Northeast Ohio during the 60's as a mechanic. He said that due to many customer complaints about rusty looking suspensions, their dealership sprayed the springs black as soon as the cars came off the truck. He said it was common practice for many years.

Rich

hemi68charger

Quote from: richRTSE on November 12, 2008, 09:07:42 AM
QuoteI decided to leave the leafs natural since that's the way they came new...

Troy, keep up the good work.  :2thumbs: 

On a side note to the "natural" suspension color, one of our local Mopar gurus started work at a dealership here in Northeast Ohio during the 60's as a mechanic. He said that due to many customer complaints about rusty looking suspensions, their dealership sprayed the springs black as soon as the cars came off the truck. He said it was common practice for many years.

Rich

Thanks Rich...  Very interesting.....  Since I'm clearing mine with satin, I get sort of the best of both worlds........ 
Troy

firefighter3931

Nice work Troy, as usual your attention to detail is impeccable.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hemi68charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 12, 2008, 11:43:23 AM
Nice work Troy, as usual your attention to detail is impeccable.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Thanks Ron..
One thing I noticed though was one of the hangers had 2 holes drilled in it and the other didn't... There was a large, oh about 3/4" hole directly on the back plane surface in the middle between the four studs and then another on the side.. I know for a fact these are the original hangers to the '68.. Sooo, I'm going to duplicate that as well... The new ones don't have the holes.......... I'll post a comparison picture later on today here or another thread in the suspension section................  My '69 and '70 do not have the holes............

T
Troy

Finn

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Hemidoug

Man Troy, she's going to look GREAT when you are done! Great work buddy, your attention to detail is phenomenal....
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

hemi68charger

Here's some of the tasks done today.. I installed the filler neck, cap and NOS tank so it could be done before I installed the rear leaf springs and differential.... Obviously, the tank's installation would be easier with the rear out of the way... I finally finished the leaf springs today and I'm pleased on the outcome.. I'll probably have the majority of the rear installed by week's end....

Sorry for the residue and dirty look.. Still some dust from the body shop I haven't cleaned off yet....... I luckily had a very nice original trunk-2-filler tube seal for the reproductions are different.... I'd rather have a very nice original as opposed to a ok new reproduction... Speaking of reproduction, I went with the cap sold by Jamie over at megapartsusa and it is great... Waiting for the gas cap trim ring from Mike from BE&A....

Cheers,
Troy
Troy

duo-stripe

keep up the good work, Troy. So i can drive it to Boerne  :cheers:
MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

1969chargerrtse

:o   Like WOW.  Looks like fun, great job and thanks for the pics.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

68RT4ME

Quote from: duo-stripe on November 17, 2008, 06:11:32 AM

Hey, get in line. I get to drive it first...lol :rofl:  Nice work there Haw......uh, Troy!
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68RT4ME on November 17, 2008, 09:52:19 AM
Quote from: duo-stripe on November 17, 2008, 06:11:32 AM

Hey, get in line. I get to drive it first...lol :rofl:  Nice work there Haw......uh, Troy!

Ok you two............. Andy, you'll have to take a trip out here.. Marcel's got you beat by two visits, and he's coming all the way in from Holland....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

duo-stripe

MoPars overseas...<br />MoPars in the Netherlands

hemi68charger

Quote from: duo-stripe on November 17, 2008, 03:13:07 PM
yeeeahh i won!!

I didn't say that now..................    :icon_smile_big:   I've known Andy pretty much my whole life........  Both of you come on over together....
Troy

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 17, 2008, 03:16:06 PM
yeeeahh i won!!

I didn't say that now..................    :icon_smile_big:   I've known Andy pretty much my whole life........  Both of you come on over together....

But who gets to drive?   :popcrn:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on November 17, 2008, 03:59:20 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on November 17, 2008, 03:16:06 PM
yeeeahh i won!!

But who gets to drive?   :popcrn:
I can't give up the goods yet ................   They both know where they stand.........
Troy

hemi68charger

Well, she's one step closer in getting on her own four feet... Got the rear-end/springs in today.. It's great when everything's clean....... I'll add the inspection markings later.... The u-bolts turned out to be more obviously wrong than right... Sooooooooo, I'll be looking for a set of correct ones.........  :brickwall:

Troy
Troy

PocketThunder

8-3/4 in a hemi car?...  :scratchchin:  I suppose all automatics were that way unless ordered otherwise.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

That is correct.  To get the Dana in a Hemi automatic you had to order the Super Performance axle package.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Ghoste on November 19, 2008, 04:32:06 AM
That is correct.  To get the Dana in a Hemi automatic you had to order the Super Performance axle package.

And in '68, I don't think it was offered....... Think '69 was the first year for a Super Trak-Pak Dana configuration with a 727.. Also, my '68's an original non-suregrip car... Go figure.. That I'm sure made for one heck of an one-wheel wonder burnout..  :icon_smile_big: 
Troy

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 19, 2008, 06:36:17 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 19, 2008, 04:32:06 AM

And in '68, I don't think it was offered....... Think '69 was the first year for a Super Trak-Pak Dana configuration with a 727.. Also, my '68's an original non-suregrip car... Go figure.. That I'm sure made for one heck of an one-wheel wonder burnout..  :icon_smile_big: 

So you could not get a dana with a hemi and automatic?