News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where to find a rebuilt power steering pump

Started by 19Charger68, June 16, 2008, 01:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19Charger68

Do any of you know the best place to find a remanufactured power steering pump for a 68 R/T 440?  Thanks
Bruce

max

Chatt69chgr

Does your car use the Federal pump or the early Saginaw?  Seems like I have seen the Federals but the Saginaw you get is the later model with the egg shaped reservoir.  If you have the early Saginaw with the round reservoir and oval fill spout hold on to it.  Although there are a couple of models of the later Saginaw, one of them has the same outlets as the early one and the reservoir interchanges.  Another difference in the Saginaws is that some have a press on pulley and some have a pulley with woodruff key and nut that holds the pulley on.  Also, the correct cap on these things is hard to find too.  Don't forget that Advance sells a complete rebuild kit for these pumps.

19Charger68

Max, that looks good.  Have you used their services?
Thank you!
Bruce
Bruce

oldschool

i rebuilt mine with a rebuild kiy from advance auto,it was very easy. :yesnod:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

max

Quote from: 19Charger68 on June 16, 2008, 04:20:07 PM
Max, that looks good.  Have you used their services?
Thank you!
Bruce

Bruce, no i haven't used them but i did talk to one of their reps at the Chrysler Classic in Columbus Ohio last May about a pump for my 62 Dodge and the fellow was very knowledgable and actually took the time to talk to me for a good while about the different pumps that were available for my year car and actually showed me the different pumps that he had in stock.

19Charger68

Thanks again Max.  The pump on the car is the original Federal unit, so I would kind of like to keep it rather that just buy a rebuilt so I think I will give those guys a try.
Bruce

Chatt69chgr

I looked on the Rock Auto site.  They have several listed.  The Cardone is return and repair which means they don't have any.  I wouldn't return anything to them.  You would probably never see your original again.  There was one listed as rebuilt by ACDELCO.  for around $80 plus 22 for core.  That was for the pump without the reservoir.  If they actually can get the ACDELCO piece, and their is no guarantee that they can, then it's a good unit---ACDELCO is a quality rebuilder.  The housings are fragile and if you have a good housing I would guard it like a hawk.  Same goes for the cap.  I would think that Steer and Gear would be a reputable outfit.  I don't think it's all that hard to rebuild these and the kits are available.  Getting the pulley off may be a chore if it's pressed on.  You would have to buy the proper tool.  If you do have yours rebuilt, maybe you should just send in the pump and keep the housing and cap in your possession and repaint it yourself.  In any case, don't send in the cap.  Note that this same pump was used on C-bodys.  In 69, the Charger, at least with the 440, had the early Saginaw.  Of course, as you know, in 68 it had the Federal pump. 

19Charger68

Thank you for the info.  I spokie with Steer & Gear yesterday and they seem very knowledgable and are making certain that I will get the correct unit.  I think I will order a rebuilt from them and then have the one on the car rebuilt later as it is the original steering pump.  Thanks again for the info.
Bruce