News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A little confusion on the "new" Dodge nomenclature

Started by Ghoste, June 14, 2008, 10:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Someone help me out here, for many many years now Chrysler Corporation has always stated that "RT" stood for "Road and Track".  They said so right from the very beginning when they first offered the package.
Now it seems, that you can order a new Dodge with an RT package but you need to pay extra to get a "Road and Track" option.  I know they're just milking the boomers for copper penny they can squeeze from that self indulgent generation (of which I guess I am one) but good God can't they be even just a tiny bit original?

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Big Lebowski

It's still Road & Track, but back in '70 it meant something, simply 440 or Hemi, those were your only choices. :scratchchin:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Ghoste

Agreed and the argument can be made that past precedent has been set with the Charger 500 as an example from 1969 to 1970.  However, in this case the part that bugs me is that if I am already buying the RT package whether it is little more than a trim level or not, isn't it a bit redundant to have to purchase a Road and Track option to add to my Road and Track option in order to get a car capable of going both road and track?

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Ghoste on June 14, 2008, 11:25:06 PM
Agreed and the argument can be made that past precedent has been set with the Charger 500 as an example from 1969 to 1970.  However, in this case the part that bugs me is that if I am already buying the RT package whether it is little more than a trim level or not, isn't it a bit redundant to have to purchase a Road and Track option to add to my Road and Track option in order to get a car capable of going both road and track?

It is confusing, but the Road/Track R/T (29R) has some of the features of the Daytona that you don't get with the R/T.
Presumably, for those that want more performance but not all the flash of the Daytona.

I think it'd make more sense to move the SE badge up in the model line and truly make it mean what it supposed to: Special Edition
Call the current SE 2.7L a base model Charger.
Leave the 3.5L SXT where it is
change the current R/T model to SE
then call the Road/Track R/T an R/T
Daytona can stay where it is
and so can the SRT8

That gets the R/T moniker where it belongs and removes the ambiguity of the SE label.

I can't count the number of times I've told people that my car is an SE and they ask, "So, what's the base model like?"

Charger-Bodie

I think they should have called the additional package "track pack" or " scat pack" or "ralleye".ETC..... Plenty of things they could have copied from the past , and they dicide to use the same one thrice on the same car.  :rofl:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

2fast4u

I can understand the confusion!  But I believe what they are referring to is the SRT is the top of the line production as far as being the "BIG" gun whereas the `60's  and `70's Dodges top of the line WAS the R/T.  Times have changed my friend.

I for one really hate what they have done, using the nostalgic names to bring in the muscle car crowd of today and knowing full well that "WE" the dedicated mopar crowd are the few compared to the many who don't know what a "HEMI" truly is!!! :flame:

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Charger1970

1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Ghoste

So now you can have a Charger RT Daytona Super Bee on your SRT with a Road and Track option?   Cool, I can own an entire collection of cool musclecars in just a single vehicle.  ::)

68RT4ME

Quote from: Ghoste on June 15, 2008, 09:44:52 PM
So now you can have a Charger RT Daytona Super Bee on your SRT with a Road and Track option?   Cool, I can own an entire collection of cool musclecars in just a single vehicle.  ::)

Daytona is an upscale R/T only option. The Superbee is an SRT only model and only in 2007, 1000 in yellow and for '08 B5 Blue 1000 only. None scheduled for '09 as yet and probably won't be any due to the Challenger being out so I've heard...FYI  ;)
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd