News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

22 inch on a Charger 68

Started by Birkholm, June 14, 2008, 04:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Birkholm

Hallo guys..

first: i´m a new member of this forum, and a 22 years old guy from Denmark :)

2 years ago I buy my first american car, a Dodge Charger 1968

take a look : http://www.bilgalleri.dk/html/gal_visbil.asp?ID=88688&ipc=278409

the car have 10*20 inch wheels behind, and 7*18 inch in front

this winter the car is going to get a new paint job, in a color called "deep red to black", and some new rims

do any of you guys knows if 10*22 inch behind can fit on a Charger 68 ?!

Danish guy with a 68 Charger...

Birkholm

this will be build as a showcar, and not a racecar ..

CB

you even want to get bigger wheels then you have now?  :o
leave those wheels for those who want to pimp their SUVs.
Not too many guys dig 18+ inch wheels on Chargers

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,45088.0.html 
:Twocents:
CB

welcome BTW, your 68 looks nice!
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

Just 6T9 CHGR

Welcome to the site :cheers:

Love your 68....has a tough stance as it is.

Moving this to the appropriate section....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dave22443

Wow, that car looks great just like it sits.  Why change it?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

Blown70

WHile I am a fan of the larger diameter rim, 22" is pushing it really.  However that being said it is your car too.  YOU need also to do what you like.  I think it looks good as is.

Tom

bill440rt

Quote from: Blown70 on June 14, 2008, 08:52:38 AM
WHile I am a fan of the larger diameter rim, 22" is pushing it really.  However that being said it is your car too.  YOU need also to do what you like.  I think it looks good as is.

Tom

:iagree:

Again, your car, but most car guys who like larger wheels would agree that 20" is probably the max you'd want to go & still look tasteful, IMHO. Even most retro-mod car builders these days rarely use anything over 20" on these cars.
Personally, I went with 19's & 18's on my '69, & I like the look. 20"s would have looked good, too, but I wanted a little more tire sidewall.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Silver R/T

anything bigger than 18's looks bad on a Charger, IMO unless youre going for that "gangsta" look
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mally69

Welcome to the site. Great looking car and stance BUT loose the wheels it just don't look right. just my  :Twocents:  But everything else is perfect. I really like the color combo.

mikesbbody

Quote from: Silver R/T on June 14, 2008, 03:33:55 PM
anything bigger than 18's looks bad on a Charger, IMO unless youre going for that "gangsta" look
i agree with silver 100% there are guys here who have 17 on the front and 18 on the back that is the largest i would go. too big a wheel and not enough tire just dont look right imo i like the sidewals to be at least "50"  welcome to the site  :cheers:

69bronzeT5

The car looks awesome the way it is. I wouldnt go any bigger..
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Dans 68

While the majority of members here say don't go even bigger (me included), it is your car, after all, so do it your way. It could fit a 22" wheel, but it depends on how "thin" the sidewall is. What is the aspect ratio on the tire that you want to use? Mock it up (add a cardboard cutout over the existing wheel/tire combo) and see first hand! And welcome to the site!  :cheers:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Birkholm

hallo again..

I can see that all of you think it´s a bad idea with 22 inch in bag... the tires I want to fit on the car would be 295/25/22 and 225/30/20 in front

now I´m driving with 285/30/20 and 215/35/18 in front

BUT .. in Denmark there maybe is 25 Chargers (68 and 69), and I have seen a few Chargers include mine, with 20inch wheels.. USA is a much much bigger country than USA, so I´m a little confussed if none ever have seen a Charger with 22 inch in bag ?!

I really want to build my Charger as a real showcar

Charger74

A few pictures have been posted here with Chargers and 22's".  They just don't look right.  Again though, it's your car, if you find wheels that look right in that size and your only going to be showing the car, then that is your choice.    However, if you plan to drive the car, remember, the bigger wheels/smaller sidewall add considerably to a harsh ride and you will feel the difference.

Nacho-RT74

IMHO 17" is the max fit to make look good rubbers profile ( maybe 18", but still think 17" is tops ) ... Bigger than that will get a TRAIN instead a car. If you go with 22", forgett the rubbers and make it ride on a railroad.

Of course is your car, but I would keep in the way it is, WHAT IS GREAT  :2thumbs: ( even the 20" on back  :icon_smile_big: )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Birkholm

Charger74 ... can you help me finding a picture or 2, with a Charger on 22 inch wheels ??

right now the engine is 360cui from year 2000, so right now is not a race-car

I never use the car to race or burning rubber... yeah, I know is a Charger, a muscle car, but I only use the car as a real cool cruiser ;)

"Cruisin´ is not a crime !"

Nacho-RT74

I never burn rubber either, but I was meaning about the look... rubbers look good ;)

mine is a daily dirver ( When is not parked for some reason LOL )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

six-tee-nine

Welcome here,

I'd say your car looks great and I like a bigger rim under a Charger but I concider 18" the top, If I was you, I'd lose the rears and replace them by a set of 18" wheels.
But hey, that's just my  :Twocents:
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

mikesbbody

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,27726.0.html         this one i started awhile back not a 68 but you get the idea hopefully it will change your mind about the 22's.

Musicman

The rims on there now are already way to big... it looks like a big Red Baby Cariage or a Stagecoach.
Get some sidewalls showing on there  :Twocents:

Birkholm

Musicman ... that picture is perfekt..

I think it´s very cool with bigger wheels behind, than the front..

I´m also only 22 years old, so maybe that´s why i like the big wheels :)

Birkholm

mikesbbody  .. thank you ...

it´s to big on that car, but only because it´s the wrong type of wheels, and because it´s 22 inch in front.. !

22 inch in the bag.. well, it´s ok, but 22 inch in front is to much...

22 in the bag with 295/25 and 20 in front with 225/30 ... hmm.. hell yeah ..

mikesbbody  .. you don´t have any pictures of  Charger 68/69/70 with 22 inch ?

I know now, that some of you think this is a little bit crazy..

0X01B8

Well, huge wheels are the trend.  Anyway, welcome to the site and good looking car.   :2thumbs:  I had 17s (small by comparison to 22s) on the rear and eventually got sick of getting punished for it on bad or even marginal roads.  I'm much more comfortable with 15 inch tires - sure they're a bit flabby and the handling has taken a small step backwards, but the ride is so much nicer.  Maybe Denmark roads are nicer than where I live (Michigan, USA) and you won't kill your suspension.   :shruggy:   :Twocents:

mikesbbody

Hi birkholm, and welcome to the site! sorry, i dont have any pics of any 68-70 chargers with 22's but if you do a search on this site you may find some (there are alot with 17-18's) my favourite look when it comes to "big wheels" is 17 on front 18 on the rear (this is probably small for you?) its all about getting the proportions right imo (sidewall height). At the end of the day its your car to do with as you please have you thought about going for smaller wheels (and keeping the bigger ones?) what about a set of 15's with fat tires? to be honest, if i had the $ i would have some big wheels but i would always keep my 15's that way i would get the best of both wheels. I say dont go any bigger but its your choice  :2thumbs:

mikesbbody

did anyone mention the "big wheel" thread on this same page? same deal, this guy has 20's on the back talking about 22's