News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stories about Offers For Your Chargers

Started by jdiesel33, June 11, 2008, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

Just curious. Do you guys or gals have any stories about people always wanting to buy your rides?

I was just thinking about this the other day. My dad bought the 68 R/T when I was 4 and he owned a grocery store. My dad was there all day every day and the Charger was always parked in the front towards the side and the store was on a busy street. It seemed like every day, multiple people would drop in the store just to talk about and/or try to buy the car. Of course some offers were ridiculous, but some were really good. The one I remember most was in about the late 70's or early 80's, this guy offered him a brand new vette that he just purchased one week before PLUS $2000. My dad wouldn't have sold it for any offer though. Our house was about a mile down the road on the same busy street and people were also always knocking on our door there too about the Charger as well as the 69 Coronet R/T Convertible sitting in front. Even when my folks moved to a somewhat rural area on a dead end street with the cars parked in the back, there were still people stopping by wanting to buy them. You never really think of your parents as cool when you're growing up, especially as a teen, but now looking back, my Dad was pretty damn cool. Makes me proud of him that he had and appreciated such sweet cars.

On a side note, the people that didn't want to buy it would stop just to see if he would race them in it!!!!!!!
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

aifilaw

I've got two, and I barely remember them now, despite being so recent.

Back when I was in college I was building engines for other people and doing other random work just to keep afloat and using student loans for the rest. But I loved my charger (still got it of course), took it to the shows in ardmore, OK and Kansas.

You gotta remember this is a 1972 with the interior package, 318 car original that was grabbed by a drag guy at some point, and another owner before him. The body is spotless, no dents, but the paint is 30 years old, its got a 426 (stroked 383 at this point) in it and sounds mean and nasty, but looks like a beat up piece because of the faded paint.

I'm in a sonic getting some lunch one day and a guy pulls up in an escalade just as I shut it down. I remember the words because its the same conversation for the first few sentences EVERY TIME anyone does this.

Them: How much you want for that charger?
me: Not for sale.
them: are you sure?
me: well, technically anything is for sale, for the right price.

and this is where it changed up,
him: I'll give you 10 large for your ride man, cash up front, give me 20 minutes to get to the bank and back, no bull****.

I don't know how I did it, but I told him I put too much blood and sweat into my baby and wanted to see it through till completion at least, thanks but no thanks. He tried a bit more and then continued on the drive thru section of the sonic. Sometimes I wish I'd sold it, but hell, whenever I need the money... its always worked out that the money can be gotten elsewhere, finding another charger... not worth it.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

myk

Nothing I'm too happy about. I get the weekly notes on the windshield, people following me into parking lots, to my home and whatnot, trying to throw offers at me.  Honestly, I'd rather sell the girlfriend.

The only offer I was happy to hear about but still decline happened at a cruise night on Main street.  Some guy and his kid came up with an '05 Mustang GT 'vert.  After gushing over my car for a while he offered a trade with me picking up the remaining payments on his loan.  Naturally I passed...

RECHRGD

The other day, when the car was on the dyno, a guy walked in and offered to trade me his 1989 Toyota Tercel for the Charger.  I'm still thinking about it though. :shruggy:
13.53 @ 105.32

jdiesel33

Toyota Tercel??!?!?!?! Hopefully they dont do random drug tests at his place of employment.  :eek2:
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

69bronzeT5

About 7 years ago, a guy wanted to buy my '69 to cut up because he crashed his '69 and destroyed the whole right rear side of the car. Wanted to cut the whole backend off my car. We told him "no" and he tried another 3 or 4 times after that. He ended up giving up and went somewhere else to find a car.
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Ponch ®

I keep my car at my mom's house, under an awning. Every couple of weeks or so I'll get a call from sister telling me someone knocked on the door asking if its for sale. At least she already knows to tell them "no"  ;D

Otherwise, I've had a couple of experiences. Some guy asked me how much I wanted for it, and for shits and giggles I said $5K (knowing it wasnt worth that much...at the time) He said "I'll be back tomorrow with the cash". I then started sweating it and regretting it, but luckily he never showed up.

The ones that really get to me are the ones that try to lowball you, insult your intelligence, or insult you/the car. One time I was out cleaning it and some dude pulled up in a beat up 80's BMW and asked if it was for sale. I said no. He then proceeded to tell me that I should sell it to him because "I  couldn't get more than $1000 for it" and that "nobody wants those junkers anyway".
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Mike DC

Yeah that's the usual experience. 

It's flattering that everybody wants to buy it, but it's insulting what they think you'll take for it.

JimShine

In Maine I had a guy knock on my door and offer me "$500 cash money" for my car. I laughed and told him that would barely take care of what it cost me to haul it home.

On the way down to the Lee1 event we had 3 Lees in our group. Two were real being Lee1 and SGL13. I have on camera some dude offering $800 for SGL13 "On the spot". Then he says "Yeah, I am sure its worth more. I bet something like that would fetch three or four thousand dollars these days".

RD

i had a guy (when I was in the army at fort hood about 14 years ago) come up to my place and asked to buy my 73 by saying,"Man I have a 400 just waiting to go in something like that."  I told him it already had a 400 and it would be pissed if it got replaced for anything less than a 440... oh, btw, its not for sale.

I actually put up a sign on my car that said "NOT FOR SALE"... people are illiterate i guess?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

69bronzeT5

Quote from: JimShine on June 12, 2008, 05:00:36 PM
On the way down to the Lee1 event we had 3 Lees in our group. Two were real being Lee1 and SGL13. I have on camera some dude offering $800 for SGL13 "On the spot". Then he says "Yeah, I am sure its worth more. I bet something like that would fetch three or four thousand dollars these days".

Put it on youtube so we can see it :popcrn:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

472 R/T SE

I had the usual "We had one of these years ago" type fellows approach me at our cruise-in last month.  He asked what I thought it was worth and I told him it's not for sale so I don't know.  He mentioned $40k and I said, "Yeah with the original motor in it and I keep the HEMI drivetrain".
He then proceeded to tell me I needed to clean up the tail lights and the rear panel if I thought it was worth that.  :o

Luckily a guy behind me mentioned something to distract him from me and this guy talking to me said, "Your car's overpriced (For Sale) and is a daily driver at best".  I'm not making this stuff up, I was shocked.  The guy with the car for sale asked him where his ride was.  I high fived him later for that.

I don't get any folks stopping at the house.  I think they're intimidated seeing me in the 'chair when I'm outside.  When the Daytona was in the garage it was crazy with folks doing slow dry-bys.

Tilar

With mine, you have to understand that at this stage of the game, My 68 is still just an old car. I bought it in 1986 for $400 with a non running 400 that had just been set in but not even bolted down. I got the engine running but it was a POS right from the start. Timing chain had slipped.

Anyway, about 10 days after I got bought it, some guy came buy and offered $800 for it. I thought abouut the 100% profit on it but turned it down. I told him that for $1500 he could have it. From then on, I told people $1500 untill someone offered me $1350 for it, so I raised my price to $2500.

Over the years it went on to $3500 and now it is hid so well that nobody asks anymore  :icon_smile_big:
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

mikepmcs

In Maine I had a guy knock on my door and offer me "$500 cash money" for my car. I laughed and told him that would barely take care of what it cost me to haul it home.

Yeah, for the grille. :smilielol:
Reminds me of the shows we went to Jim.  That's another thread though. 
The other day I was at my buddy's shop and Danny(owner) was talking to this guy and when he was done he came in and told me the guy said I had the wrong year doors on my car...said they were from a 67'.  I just laughed and went back to work on my wrong doors.   :image_294343:

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

JimShine

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on June 12, 2008, 05:39:46 PM

Put it on youtube so we can see it :popcrn:

I would love to. However I would have to go through each of these to find it. Maybe if I get laid up with an illness or something.

mikepmcs

Jim
I see it, right next to the GE's Twilight Zone tape.   :coolgleamA:
It's in that clear case.
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Mike DC

mikepmcs,

First-gen Chevy Camaros had vent windows on the doors in '67 but they were gone for '68 and up.  That's probably were the weird door idea came from. 

RallyeMike

My first 69 Charger was purchased for $150. I had a total of maybe $500 into it when someone at a 7-11 offered me $1,000 for it. Man, I thought I had pulled off a major financial killing at the time... (1983).

I bought my 440 Rallye for $600. Someone who just HAD to have it offered me $3500 multiple times the following summer. Tempting, especially because I was not too well off at the time, but I still have the car 21 years later. Just like Tilar, nobody bothers me anymore because It rarely leaves the garage.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

charge-it

When I first bought my 68 for 9,500.00 three years ago within the first month a friend brought a guy over to see it. That guy said I`m going to buy this car. I said it isn`t for sale. He then proceeded to unzip a bank bag and put 15,000.00 on the hood of the car and said everythings for sale. I said I`m sorry, it`s not for sale. He was pissed and told our mutual friend lets go. I guess if someone wanted to buy it now I`d sell it for 50K and not one cent less. Offer me 49K and the price jumps to 75k...you get the drift. IT`S NOT FOR SALE!!!
Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

Dave22443

I had an odd thing happen to me today.  Now keep in mind, I live in a pretty rural area.  I share a private road that runs half a mile through the woods.  Its a one lane dirt road that dumps out on a blind hill in the middle of nowhere and its tagged every 50 feet with no tresspassing signs.  Its a real inviting place.  :D   From the road, you can see nothing but woods and most people would have no idea that there were even any houses there.  I affectionately refer to my driveway as "The Bat Cave" because of how well I am hidden.

Now, to be fair, I am not the only house on this road.  There are in fact, 5 houses on it.  All family.  So imagine my suprise when a little pickup pulls into the driveway and toots its horn.  I look out and wonder who the hell this is?

I forgot that I had been working on the Charger a little earlier and it was sitting outside with the garage door open.  So I go out to see whats up and its one of those annoying jerks that ride around with a freezer in the back of their pickup trying to sell you steaks and stuff at bargain prices.

So right off he hits me with his sales pitch, which I interupt with a firm "No thanks, I'm not interested."  Now to his credit, he takes the hint.  He then nods towards the Charger and says, "Nice '68.  I love the color.  But thats not original is it?"  He then rolls up his shirt sleeve and reveals a Mopar logo tattoo on his arm.  You can tell its been there a while too.  He smiles and says, "I'm in the brother hood."

We talk for a while as the guy really seems to know his stuff about Mopars.  But I kind of got the feeling that he was always a brides maid and never a bride though.  He told me how his old girlfriend had a '68 Charger and he was always mad at her because she would never let him near the car.  Not even to ride in it.  He then frowned and confesses that he's never even ridden in a Charger.

The then gets this big glint in his eyes and says, "I'll trade you some steaks for a ride."

Damn that was a good dinner  :drool5:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln

jdiesel33

Quote from: Dave22443 on June 13, 2008, 09:42:03 PM
I had an odd thing happen to me today.  Now keep in mind, I live in a pretty rural area.  I share a private road that runs half a mile through the woods.  Its a one lane dirt road that dumps out on a blind hill in the middle of nowhere and its tagged every 50 feet with no tresspassing signs.  Its a real inviting place.  :D   From the road, you can see nothing but woods and most people would have no idea that there were even any houses there.  I affectionately refer to my driveway as "The Bat Cave" because of how well I am hidden.

Now, to be fair, I am not the only house on this road.  There are in fact, 5 houses on it.  All family.  So imagine my suprise when a little pickup pulls into the driveway and toots its horn.  I look out and wonder who the hell this is?

I forgot that I had been working on the Charger a little earlier and it was sitting outside with the garage door open.  So I go out to see whats up and its one of those annoying jerks that ride around with a freezer in the back of their pickup trying to sell you steaks and stuff at bargain prices.

So right off he hits me with his sales pitch, which I interupt with a firm "No thanks, I'm not interested."  Now to his credit, he takes the hint.  He then nods towards the Charger and says, "Nice '68.  I love the color.  But thats not original is it?"  He then rolls up his shirt sleeve and reveals a Mopar logo tattoo on his arm.  You can tell its been there a while too.  He smiles and says, "I'm in the brother hood."

We talk for a while as the guy really seems to know his stuff about Mopars.  But I kind of got the feeling that he was always a brides maid and never a bride though.  He told me how his old girlfriend had a '68 Charger and he was always mad at her because she would never let him near the car.  Not even to ride in it.  He then frowned and confesses that he's never even ridden in a Charger.

The then gets this big glint in his eyes and says, "I'll trade you some steaks for a ride."

Damn that was a good dinner  :drool5:

I like your style dude. Damn sweet yellow Charger too.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T

mikepmcs

Good on you Dave if you took him for a ride
You made his lifetime!  :2thumbs:!

Dave22443

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
- Abraham Lincoln