News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need to replace starter ( which one )

Started by 69chargerR/T, June 13, 2008, 09:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerR/T

The starter on my 69 charger is going, what starter are you guys running. It's a 440 auto with hooker comp. headers. I don't know if I should put a stock starter in or get a late model denso starter. I've heard you can use a starter from a late model V-8 dodge truck, I was looking at a starter for a 95 dodge 1500 5.2 I think the the starter will bolt up but will it clear my headers with out any problems  :shruggy: I would like to know what you guys are using, how they fit with headers ( hooker comps )  :2thumbs: I know changing the starter on a 440 with headers is going to be a pain in the a$$, so I want a good starter that will fit and last for a while :2thumbs: Alan

RD

you are right one with the mini-starter, but dependent on the size of your headers will affect the ability to change it in an out easily.  2" and you will have some issues, but not much.  1 7/8" are routed differently so I had no problems putting it on.  Now some of the newer mini's may need some grinding on the aluminum to get them to fit big blocks perfectly (had to do that w/my 440 in my RR).  Nothing major, just grinding down a "nub" on the engine side of the starter so that it will fit straight and not cockeyed.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rolling_Thunder

I always order starters from a 93 1500 Ram with a 5.9L     :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

rt green

i tried to put a denso starter on with my hooker headers, and there was an electrical connector cover on the bottom, and ran the headers ran right into it. couldnt get around that one without mashing in the headers bad. got some summut headers and made them work.
if you have to run a factory  starter, order one up for a slant six, as they are high torque. longer crankshaft on the six. use some header wrap to keep the heat away. always worked for me.   
third string oil changer

mally69

Just for curiousity what is your starter doing. The reason I ask is becuase mine is making some weird noises every so often and I am wondering if it is going bad.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: mally69 on June 14, 2008, 02:44:32 PM
Just for curiousity what is your starter doing. The reason I ask is becuase mine is making some weird noises every so often and I am wondering if it is going bad.

My starter isn't making any noise ( just the normal chrysler sound ). But sometimes when I try to crank it over it cranks over then just stops cranking, a couple times when I was cranking it over the starter just kicked out on me. Also a couple times I went to crank it and the starter just clicked the I cranked it again and the car started. My battery cables are old and have those mickey mouse bolt on cable ends, so I'm going to get new cables and try that first :2thumbs: I may still need a starter thats why I wanted to know what other guys are using,the starter thats in my car has been in it since I got the car so I don't know how old it is :2thumbs: Alan

mally69

Mine started sounding like it gets partial voltage at certain time's during cranking. It started after my wrench slipped and pushed into my starter relay and sparks flew. I was checking my header bolts. So my problem might just be the relay box on the firewall.

69chargerR/T

Quote from: rt green on June 14, 2008, 01:42:18 PM
i tried to put a denso starter on with my hooker headers, and there was an electrical connector cover on the bottom, and ran the headers ran right into it. couldnt get around that one without mashing in the headers bad. got some summut headers and made them work.
if you have to run a factory  starter, order one up for a slant six, as they are high torque. longer crankshaft on the six. use some header wrap to keep the heat away. always worked for me.   

rtgreen, did you have hooker super competition headers or the hooker competition headers ? The super comps have 2" tubes,and I think they are run different than the hooker comp headers. And the hooker comp headers have 1 7/8 tubes.  Alan

rt green

i have a set of hooker competition. 1 7\8.  hardly used, but are over 10 yrs old
third string oil changer

terrible one

Any one have a picture of the mini starter that shows the piece that interferes with the headers? It's kind of ironic that a stock starter is easier to fit than the mini  :shruggy:

69chargerR/T

I changed my battery cables today, and I still have the same problem ( will not crank sometimes ) . I need to change my starter, I've gotten different answers to my first question ? Some say the mini starter will fit with headers, some say they had to take the black starter connector off  the starter to clear the headers.  RTgreen said that the plastic wire cover on the bottom  hit his header and he had to dent the headers alot to make the starter fit. I would like to use the mini starter but if I have to dent my headers I don't want to use the mini starter . There must be some other guys out there used the mini starter with headers I would like to know if the mini starer fits or not before I buy one. I have a 69 charger with 440 and hooker comp. headers  with 1 7/8 tubes. Any help or ideas out there would be great :2thumbs: Alan