News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My Son's 72 Charger Reveil

Started by Daytona Guy, June 11, 2008, 06:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

This started out as a "72 Spring Green Topper". Has all Rally Stuff but with no bulge hood. Factory 400 ci.

It's been 3 years but it is done. Justin is 18 years old and started on this when he was 16. He did almost all the work (with my supervision) and paid for it all. He did a budget restore. We cut corners and did a job that only a kid could afford.

Car cost 500.00 – the total cost of restoration including the car was 2000.00. I did the paint (Centari) and the fabrication on the louver doors (I made the louvers myself).

Instead of having this car sit around getting rusty and trying to do everything perfect, we chose to get it done on what he could afford. I told Justin that later on he can restore it with big bucks and make it premo later when he gets old and makes more money.

We will be entering it in the Muscle Beach Cruz Show in Seaside Oregon this Saturday. He is proud.

69charger2002

man that car looks AWESOME!!! he SHOULD be very proud. like father like son i guess. i am molding my yellow daytona clone similar to yours because yours was so awesome
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Daytona Guy

Quote from: 69charger2002 on June 11, 2008, 06:24:47 PM
man that car looks AWESOME!!! he SHOULD be very proud. like father like son i guess. i am molding my yellow daytona clone similar to yours because yours was so awesome
trav

Thanks Man

dads_69

Wow, nice job Dane once again. I didn't pay attention to 3rd gens to joining the web site again the second time here, but I'm going to look at a '73 later tonight just because I'm chager-less now. The A body I have is cool, but it's not a charger. What did you build the door scoops out of? It looks like you recessed thew as well. Awesome!
Tell your son great lookin' ride!  :2thumbs:
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Charger1973

Very cool.  Your $2k total cost is impressive!  I am curious about the louvers as well..  they look really good.

Charger1973

Oh, and man that first pic really resembles my car even though its a year off!

konigcharger

wow... i mean really WOW... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

looks awesome...  :coolgleamA:

door louvers are spot on :2thumbs: hard to belive you made them yourself, they look so good :yesnod:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: dads_69 on June 11, 2008, 06:44:37 PM
What did you build the door scoops out of? It looks like you recessed thew as well. Awesome!
:2thumbs:

My policy has been "Beat it to fit and paint it to match". Ha ha. It is amassing what you can do with a hammer. Yes, they are recessed. I have always wanted to do something weird like that and I had nothing to lose with this kind of a budget build. I am working on an Hollow Aluminum Wing for these that are a little different interpretation than Dayclona's – they will be just a little shorter and mounded just a little different. My son did not want to make this a Daytona just yet. The nose I will be making will be the 18" nose that they were messing with in the wind tunnel for the 71 Daytona.

This is the Plymouths version but they where the same shape

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Charger1973 on June 11, 2008, 07:00:08 PM

Post a good Q pic of it

Charger1973

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 11, 2008, 07:16:41 PM

Post a good Q pic of it

It even has the same dent in the fender.   :smilielol:

konigcharger

Quote from: Charger1973 on June 11, 2008, 07:32:03 PM
Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 11, 2008, 07:16:41 PM

Post a good Q pic of it

It even has the same dent in the fender.   :smilielol:

your car has come a long way :2thumbs: looking good :coolgleamA:

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

dads_69

Dane, if I re-call correctly, you told me you were not a body man/painter. Funny how those of you that claim such are always ahead of *us* guys that do that type of work for a living and yet my car is still not done. If I were closer, I'd probably be better off dropping my car off at your place. ha-ha.
Can't wait to see your next wing car set up. Your like a renaissance type of guy, thats cool......
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Daytona Guy

Nice - I love the looks of these cars - He wants a buddle hood sooooo bad.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: dads_69 on June 11, 2008, 07:38:10 PM
Dane, if I re-call correctly, you told me you were not a body man/painter.

It is not my Job - but I have been doing shady tree body work and paint and glss - since I was 14. Thank you for the compliments.

Charger1973

Quote from: Daytona Guy on June 11, 2008, 07:38:36 PM
Nice - I love the looks of these cars - He wants a buddle hood sooooo bad.

They are pricey for sure...  I think it really makes these cars stand out though. 

aone415

AWESOME JOB... one word WOOOOOOOOOOOW! :2thumbs:

This Charger right here is a one of none, that means none before it, none to come.

71ChallengeHer

Fitz73Chrgr

$2K  :o  :o  :o

It looks great!!!

You guys ought to teach these Mopar magazines a thing or two about their "budget build-ups"
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

TruckDriver

Daytona Guy, that car is OUTSTANDING! :yesnod: :2thumbs: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Have your son check out my all third gen forum. (link below). Maybe a Bulge hood will turn up. (although, one of my mods has 5 or so, I lost count :P )
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

magnum

AWSOME RIDE :2thumbs: my first charger was a 72, love the louvers :2thumbs: great job. the black and red are great combos together. your son should be very proud :cheers:
Takes a MOPAR to catch a mopar!

69*F5*SE

Nice work. He should be proud.   :2thumbs:

evil1

you guys did a good job on the charger, especially the doors.

Daytona R/T SE

The car looks great! I like everything about it !

BMOTOXSTAR

:o :o :drool5: :drool5:

More pic's, more pic's please...... :2thumbs:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

mikesbbody

you should both be proud! nice job  :2thumbs: