News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Serpentine Drive Kits

Started by Foreman72, June 09, 2008, 03:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foreman72

so i've been lookin at some serpentine drive kits from March http://www.marchperf.com/pg47.html and i was wondering what the performance advantages were or if it was a strictly cosmetic improvement.  I mean does anyone really have serious belt-creeping issues?  :shruggy:  the kit is pretty expensive so unless it provides substantial improvement the money is better spent elsewhere...thanks guys

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.

lisiecki1

from what i've gathered the serpentine kits are set up with underdrive ratios, so you get a nominal improvement in power.  For that reason and for the look I'm planning on putting a set on my 383 when the car is done...
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

Foreman72

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 28, 2009, 03:47:15 PM
from what i've gathered the serpentine kits are set up with underdrive ratios, so you get a nominal improvement in power.  For that reason and for the look I'm planning on putting a set on my 383 when the car is done...

is it worth the 500 bucks tho :shruggy:
Eric "Foreman"

lisiecki1

from a purely horsepower driven standpoint i'd say no.....you can get a lot more power out of nos for 500 bucks....

the kit i'm after is 1100.....but that's only because i want the whole a/c compressor set up with it....

firefighter3931

On a streetcar try to avoid underdrive pulley systems....it only leads to problems.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Belgium R/T -68

Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Foreman72

so just get ahold of the stock pulleys? any other thougths?
Eric "Foreman"

lisiecki1

i believe march does have a set that is not underdrive....but now you're paying just for the look.......other than that, try to locate the stock stuff....i might have some stuff, what are you looking for?

defiance

Well, look, convenience of a (slightly) more reliable belt system, and easier belt swaps.  I've got the march system...  BUT - I don't know that I'd recommend it.  The march system isn't actually a true serpentine - it uses two serpentine belts, but it's configured like a v-belt system (no 'concave' curves, no tensioner pulleys, tension adjustments needed to install/remove).  Plus, the finish on mine started developing corrosion underneath the clear coat after less than a year with minimal exposure to elements.  I ended up having to wire brush all the coating and corrosion off, refinish them, and re-coat them.  Wasn't very happy about that...

There's another one out there that's a bit more expensive, but actually comes with some of the accessories anyway and I believe it's a true serpentine system.  Billet specialties I think is the name of the mfg?

lisiecki1

true....glad you posted defiance, i had no idea about corrosion issues with the march system....billet specialties makes a really nice kit, but i think that's getting into the $2500 arena.....i'll probably get the march system and refinish before installation....

Foreman72

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 29, 2009, 12:32:19 PM
i believe march does have a set that is not underdrive....but now you're paying just for the look.......other than that, try to locate the stock stuff....i might have some stuff, what are you looking for?

a 318 w ps...i have a/c but i don't think i'll keep it...yeah...thanks 4 the info guys.... :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

lisiecki1

i have the factory a/c pump/clutch and brackets and hoses.....i'll have to see what i have in the way of pulleys this evening

defiance

Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 29, 2009, 04:33:55 PM
true....glad you posted defiance, i had no idea about corrosion issues with the march system....billet specialties makes a really nice kit, but i think that's getting into the $2500 arena.....i'll probably get the march system and refinish before installation....

cool - truth be told, I've heard of other people with march, and never heard anyone else mention corrosion problems, so maybe I did something wrong, or maybe I got a fluke.  It does work fine, and looks good again now.

Yeah, I just looked up the billet specialties one - a/c and ps and you're nearly up to $3k!!!  wow.  On the other hand, it looks like it comes with the entire set of accessories, water pump, basically everything in front of the block, so I guess that's not as bad as just 3k for a set of pulleys...  but it's still insane.

I seem to remember somebody on moparts putting together a non-dressey kit with new OEM components.

Foreman72

Quote from: defiance on January 29, 2009, 06:59:39 PM
Quote from: lisiecki1 on January 29, 2009, 04:33:55 PM

cool - truth be told, I've heard of other people with march, and never heard anyone else mention corrosion problems, so maybe I did something wrong, or maybe I got a fluke.  It does work fine, and looks good again now.

Yeah, I just looked up the billet specialties one - a/c and ps and you're nearly up to $3k!!!  wow.  On the other hand, it looks like it comes with the entire set of accessories, water pump, basically everything in front of the block, so I guess that's not as bad as just 3k for a set of pulleys...  but it's still insane.

I seem to remember somebody on moparts putting together a non-dressey kit with new OEM components.

if you happen 2 find that let me know...i'd love 2 see it...i want something reliable and reasonably attractive...that won't steal power...that sounds like a good bet...thanks a ton man :2thumbs:
Eric "Foreman"

defiance

Actually, found two different ones on moparts -

Here's a thread where a customer talks about a kit he got from moparts member Duster499 -

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=3506162&Searchpage=3&Main=3499758&Words=%2B440+%2Bserpentine&topic=&Search=true#Post3506162

Another moparts member Jerry makes this one

http://www.superiordesignconcepts.com/bbserpentine.html

I dunno a thing about either of them other than they both appear to be OEM style components.

If you find out more, definitely post - I might be tempted to give up the shiney to switch to something with a true serpentine belt. 

lisiecki1

if you do please let me know, i might be interested in your march set :2thumbs:

bill440rt

I bought one of those kits from Duster499 as well. Everything is VERY high quality. nitrousn is also a member here & told me about them.
The only thing I may do is give the parts another fine polish on a wheel and re-clear coat them. They were originally supposed to be powder coated, but I think (from memory) there was a problem with that so now he just clears the parts.
Instructions are very clear, and all components are very nice. Cheaper than a March set-up too, and I can still run a mechanical fuel pump. AND, the A/C compressor will clear my 6-pack air cleaner!!
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce