News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Burned fusible link

Started by Belgium R/T -68, June 09, 2008, 12:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgium R/T -68

Got my -70 Charger home and discovered it was stone dead. The cable between the starterrelay and the bulkhead (fusible link) has been on fire, totally burnt out.
That's all I see from burned cables but I wonder why? What does fusible link means? I am a little bit afraid of just changing the cable without knowing what happend,
electrical fire is a nightmare, I know from experience. Any bright ideas?  :scratchchin:
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Belgium R/T -68

Thanks, I changed the fusiblelink and the car starts immediatly! Why did it burn I ask myself? Could it have been overheated from people in the ports trying to start
the car without succes? To long on the key?

mikepmcs

Basically it reached a certain temperature to cause it to melt(it's like a safety precaution to keep you from burning up anything else)
It could have just broken down over the years but also could have become sensitive due to another failure of some sort like wiring somewhere else breaking down.  Do yourself a favor and check the wiring in your dash and around the link itself.  Also check the bulkhead connector for anything suspicious that could cause a short of some kind.  Change and run new wires as needed.  Clean grounding points etc..... and you should be fine.  Remember the amp gauge has a bulk of power running through it and this could be the issue as well.  Cheap insurance to check and repair wires as needed.
Or you can use the above thread link posted to bypass amp gauge.

linky here

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

look at this regardless to get some ideas what to look for. :2thumbs:

I haven't done that yet but now it's come top the front of my mind again due to your issue.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Belgium R/T -68

Good advices Mike! While checking a little bit moore I see a new engineharness would be a good investment, who has the best prices on harnesses?

Shakey

Quote from: Belgium R/T -68 on June 10, 2008, 12:05:35 AM
Good advices Mike! While checking a little bit moore I see a new engineharness would be a good investment, who has the best prices on harnesses?

For something like this, forget price and just order it from Year One.

y3chargerrt

Go to the source and order it directly from Bill Evans. He will build it any way you want. I had him add an electric choke connection and move my electronic ignition box under the horns.

Dodge Don

I agree with Shakey. 40 year old harness' = trouble just waiting to happen. Yeah replacing all the various harness' is expensive but nothing compared to having your pride & joy go up in flames. I just couldn't risk it and replaced everything with new. Had my Amp gauge converted to VDO Volt meter as well....same stock AMP face but now I know it's more accurate and won't flame up on me.

Belgium R/T -68

Will order from Evans, better safe then sorry. Again I got know another vendor, great forum.  :2thumbs: