News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

transmission takes a while to go into gear

Started by AKcharger, June 08, 2008, 11:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

When car sits for a while few days when I start it I have to run the shifter through the gears a few times before it hooks up, then it's normal. If I don't do that it acts like its slipping and you really have to give it some rpms to get it going. other than that works normal...ever heard of that?

dads_69

It could be a number of things Bill. Servo might be plugged up or  o-ring seal may be worn. Filter plugged up, lack of trans fluid possibly. Front pump not doing its job when cold could be do to bands are shot, blued and worn is noticeable when taken apart. Does the trans fluid smell burnt or dis-colored? Is there any trans fluid leaking from there front area or trans? if so, front seal might be trashed from sittingwhich is normal for up here. There are more factors as well, pm for my cell number if you want, I could stop by some time after work to check it out also. Assuming its your charger and not some fancy new ride, ha......

Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Ghoste

Converter drainback, after you start it, let it run in neutral for a little bit before putting it into gear and see if that makes any difference.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on June 09, 2008, 03:39:50 AM
Converter drainback, after you start it, let it run in neutral for a little bit before putting it into gear and see if that makes any difference.

:iagree:  pump works in neutral, not in park.  I could be wrong about that though, but I do know you should let it run in neutral for a minute
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 09, 2008, 08:01:18 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on June 09, 2008, 03:39:50 AM

:iagree:  pump works in neutral, not in park.  I could be wrong about that though, but I do know you should let it run in neutral for a minute

:iagree: 100% Very common. Just let it idle in neutral for a few and it will most likely be fine. :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............