News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Inner fender replace or patch?

Started by rrockchrger, June 25, 2008, 06:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

:iagree:

If you do it right, small patches hold up much better than replacing entire panels. Whenever possible, I patch. You just have to finish it out properly. What you don't realize is that when welding in the new panel, improper welds can make the attaching points more brittle and susceptible to fatigue cracks later. Not to mention that replacement panels are usually a dead giveaway that the car has been butchered around on.  :Twocents:

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

suntech

QuoteAnd why would to grind the metal to the point of being too thin
I did not mean grind it thinner, i meant that rust might have made it thinner, so even if it looks like just a few pinholes, it could be a bigger weak area.

When i say i prefer replacement, is because now, with quality parts available, in my opinion it will be a better end result, than patching. I used to be a proffesional welder for almost 10 years, so either way would work for me, but i just think one new quality piece will be a better overall result.

But, with that said, good craftmanship will make both methods ok, and bad craftmanship will make both methods suck!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!