News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Many engine Q's coming - first up: What Carb for my 470 stroker?

Started by Corellian Corvette, May 30, 2008, 03:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corellian Corvette

I'm building a 470ci stroker from a 400 block and 440 source stroker kits.

However - I'm making it a sleeper. I'm not looking to extract maximum HP, I want great idle, great reliability, good vacuum.

Will have Roller Cam, Roller rockers, Aluminum Heads. 3.55:1 gears in back. Automatic.

However, I'm using the Mopar Performance Aluminum replacement intake, and I'm using the original cast-iron manifolds. Will be running A/C as well. The whole engine is getting blue paint to look stock.

It's time to pick the carb. I have a strong preference towards Edelbrock. I know it's a religious debate, but the basic design was used on many of the HiPo OEM's, and I find them much easier to tune and much more streetable. Again – I'm not going for max HP.

Of course, my engine builder prefers Holley-style and wants to do a Barry Grant. He's mostly concerned since Edelbrock's biggest is 750 and he thinks I'll need more flow or I'll have a lean-out problem.

Here's my big question – any issues with fitment on a Holley style when using A/C compressor, etc.? What about stock Air Cleaner? Again I'm really going for the stock look and I don't want to fab a bunch of parts or use aftermarket air cleaners.

Also – I'm VERY concerned about the proper Tranny linkage. I have the correct Edelbrock adapter that properly places the linkage like original. Does Holley make something similar?

Any other thoughts? Anyone here running Edelbrock on B/RB engines making big power?

Ghoste

You're engine builder is right in wanting to go with a Holley style however if you do insist on a Carter style, Edelbrock makes a Thunder Series carb in an 800 cfm size.  It's still small for your stroker but at least it's alittle more and it's an AVS so it offers a little more tuneability than the AFB.
I'd really rethink it though.  I love the Carter carbs myself for ease of use but in a case like yours you will be spending a lot of money on crank, cam, and heads that will never be used.  It'll be like leaving clothes on a drunk supermodel.

Corellian Corvette

LOL!

Ok what about things like Transmission linkage and air cleaner, etc? I have the edelbrock kickdown linkage already and I know it perfectly controls the automatic. Does holley make such a thing? I was looking on their site and didn't see it...

Same with Air cleaner.. Can I use my stock A/C air cleaner?

Ghoste

There may be a few other minor parts you need to get but again, after laying out for the 470 they will be inexpensive details.  Plenty of big block Chargers came stock with Holleys too.

Corellian Corvette

Totally fair - to those using a Holley on Automatic equipped cars - what are you doing to deal with the linkage issues? What about the ability to use the stock air cleaner?

AKcharger

Quote from: Ghoste on June 01, 2008, 09:35:28 AM
It'll be like leaving clothes on a drunk supermodel.
:smilielol:

I'm actually 1 step ahead of Corellian withe the same question. I plan on dropping my 470 stroker in next week (400/470 440 source aluminum heads edelbrock torqer and stock HP cast Iron manifolds) I was planning on using the Edelbrock 600 that's on it now just to break it in. After reading this my question is will that small a carb be too lean and hurt the engine? I thought I'd just loose perfornance?

Thanks

AK

Corellian Corvette

AK i'm doing a similar setup 400-470 using Edelbrock heads, MP Aluminum manifold (the stock replacement) and stock iron manfolds.

600CFM is WAY to small, I can tell you that for sure. You'll need the 800CFM just to start. The question is about the difference between 800 and 1000CFM and leaning it out. For sure you leave power, but my engine guy is concerned about running lean.

Love to hear more about your combo!

Ghoste

You can put bigger jets and smaller rods in the Carter style carbs to adjust for mixture and you can change the springs under the step up pistons to tune where the rod is coming out of the jet so I wouldn't worry it leaning out as much as choking off the top end performance.

AKcharger

Quote from: Corellian Corvette on June 03, 2008, 01:43:56 AM
...Love to hear more about your combo!

Sure:
- Dec '71 400 block (original engine)
- 470 kit from 440 source
- Engle K56 w/stock valve train
- 440 source heads (should put me at 10.3:1)
- Old Edelbrock torquer intake (single plane)
- stock cast iron HP manifols to duals w/h-pipe
- Edelbrock performer 600 (wanted to go 6-pack but $3K...just too much to justify) probably go to a 750
- 3:23 sure grip but have a 3:91 I'm going to put in it

Pulling the old engine tonight, need to tidy up the bay and should have this one in in a week

AK

bordin34

I have a 4bbl on my 400. I am using a Lokar type thing with mine. I do not know exactly what is on there.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

doctorpimp

I just ran my 470 for the first time today, to break in the cam...  Pretty much the same set-up as AK has but I have the K58 cam and Eddy heads.

I'm using a Barry Grant Speed Demon VE 750 CFM and it was running rich.  I had the adjusters out 2 turns and ran it for 30 mins at 2500 RPM.  After pulling the plugs they were sooty...
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

doctorpimp

'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

AKcharger

Started pulling mine tonight...weird, 1st time I ever pulled a perfectly good engine out of a car  :scratchchin: