News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need info on Daytona headlamp harness

Started by hotrod98, June 06, 2008, 08:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrod98

Just realized that I haven't ordered a new headlamp harness for the clone that I'm putting together. Of course it's time to install it and I don't have it.
Is the Daytona headlamp harness the same as the Charger harness? Yearone doesn't show a listing for a Daytona version so I'm assuming that they're the same.
My Charger harness is junk so I'll have to wait until the new one gets here to finish mounting the nose. So close, yet so far. I really wanted this car in the booth by next weekend. Not gonna happen.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Hemi_tyme

Larry, I've got Joanne's Daytona at the shop and and will look at the harness in the morning to seee if a Superbird and Daytona harness will inter change,If so I have a extra harness at the shop.
Ken

pettybird

they won't--the marker light harnesses are different lengths and the attachment points to the lamp-to-firewall intermediate harness are in a different place on the inner fender.

I tried, based on my 'bird to make my friend a harness for his Daytona.  pardon the pun but I winged it;)

For the light end, I used a '70 charger harness.  unwrap it, rewrap so the wires go where you want, and go from there.  if you had the WHOLE harness from a '70 then it would plug right into the bulkhead.  I don't understand the purpose of the mid piece...creative had to plug it in somewhere anyway.

hotrod98

Thanks, Ken for the offer.
So, exactly what would need to be done to alter the 70 harness to make it work?  Are all of the wires long enough?
It's strange that I've never seen one single thing mentioned about the headlamp harness by any of the cloners. This is the first time that I've given it a thought. I never realized that they didn't make a daytona specific harness.

Charles Addams

UFO

I used a '69 harness and re wrapped it.Used some spare connectors to make the extension harness.
As for the vacuum lines I just spot taped them to the harness.

hemigeno

Quote from: UFO on June 07, 2008, 06:15:15 AM
I used a '69 harness and re wrapped it.Used some spare connectors to make the extention harness.
As for the vacuum lines I just spot taped them to the harness.

...which is almost exactly the procedure that Creative used to make the original harnesses.  Even though the Daytona versions have their own separate Chrysler part number, the paperwork I've seen shows that it was literally a re-worked "regular" Charger harness.

UFO

If the instructions worked for the Creative guys I figured it would work for me as well.
I'll bet there is supposed to be a wire retainer wrapped in the extension that fits the extra hole behind the battery.

hotrod98

I'll look at my old harness again. At $250 a pop, I just might be able to save it.
Thanks for the info.
Now if I just had step by step instructions.  ;D

Charles Addams

UFO

Quite easy. Have nose on bench,unwrap harness,plug in lights,spot tape joints,re wrap,make an extension,done.
It's been a while since I did this but I do recall needing to ground the turn signal housings.

hotrod98

I didn't realize that the 69 harness was long enough. This should be a no-brainer then.  :2thumbs:

Charles Addams

nascarxx29

I think AM Bill Alphin has this part .And I belive Mega Parts might have it aswell.Before it was on the aftermarket I used the section of a reartail light harness found backside of panel near emergency brake to get the added length and correct male and female plug .And modified and retaped up 69 charger harness.But now you cant get it with the correct color hoses.And ready to install
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

.Found the superbird diagram looking in my stuff for the daytona one

nascarxx29

Found Bills website hes the guy I think who carries the harness.And I recall maybe Frank Badalson sold the vacuum hoses seperately
http://www.amhightechauto.com/.Found the hoses looking for a vendor with a complete lighting/vacuum harness
VHK4   Headlight vacuum hose harness kit for the 1968-69 Dodge Daytona + 1970 Superbird   $175.00

hotrod98

Quote from: UFO on June 07, 2008, 09:38:11 AM
Quite easy. Have nose on bench,unwrap harness,plug in lights,spot tape joints,re wrap,make an extension,done.
It's been a while since I did this but I do recall needing to ground the turn signal housings.

I sort of missed that part "make an extension".  ::)

Charles Addams

nascarxx29

If I remember correctly the 69 charger harness plug was beside or near the battery.And the daytona/superbird harness plug was further up near the rad support area.And I spliced in section with identical male and female plugs of a rear tail harness to get it longer 

gtx6970

If your after the complete harness , both vacuum and electrical side - It's only avail from M+H sold thru Yearone. Problem is the vacuum side is in-correct for an OE type resto.

BUT, I've talked to Tom at M+H and he told me they will change out the vacuum portion of the harness with a customer supplied correct version at no charge to the customer

I carry the vacuum side of the harness and they are different between between charger and wingcar.

http://amhightechauto.com/images/parts/VHK4.JPG

hotrod98

Quote from: gtx6970 on June 07, 2008, 08:33:55 PM
If your after the complete harness , both vacuum and electrical side - It's only avail from M+H sold thru Yearone. Problem is the vacuum side is in-correct for an OE type resto.

BUT, I've talked to Tom at M+H and he told me they will change out the vacuum portion of the harness with a customer supplied correct version at no charge to the customer

I carry the vacuum side of the harness and they are different between between charger and wingcar.

http://amhightechauto.com/images/parts/VHK4.JPG

The only one that YearOne shows is for a regular charger. Does he make one for a daytona? If not, he should and then do a group buy on this forum.  Should sell 10 to 15 sets.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Just checked the M&H website and he shows a 69 1/2 daytona forward lamp harness with a part number, but yearOne doesn't show it in their catalog. :brickwall:
I would be interested in buying one since I don't have a good 69 harness to alter.

Charles Addams

pettybird

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 07, 2008, 03:36:14 PM
If I remember correctly the 69 charger harness plug was beside or near the battery.And the daytona/superbird harness plug was further up near the rad support area.And I spliced in section with identical male and female plugs of a rear tail harness to get it longer 

the daytona still connects by the battery.  you're right about the bird--it connects right on top of the core support.

pettybird

and as far as the hoses, by friend went to a craft store and bought a yellow and a green paint marker.  i held the hoses taut and he drew the lines on 'em.  sue us if there aren't any ribs on them!

nascarxx29

A friend of mine that had a few show winning superbirds in the 90-s he restored on the link below .Before you could even get the correct hoses  He.restriped his with a buegler pinstripe wheel as I recall.Who remembers Matt Morris superbirds and his unique handiwork.On his cars and and others
www.mattmorrisresto.com  http://www.mattmorrisresto.com/index-2.html

BigBlockSam

save your old harness and put the extra money towards your real bird . i was looking at the harness the other day. looks simple enough .  :cheers:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hotrod98

Rene, Just so happens that I dug my old headlamp harness out of a box today and it's in pretty good shape. It was the taillight harness that was toast. I'll just go up to my mopar graveyard up on the hill and grab a connector out of another car and extend this harness. I appreciate all of the help from everyone.
This weekend I managed to get most of the bodywork finished on the fenders and hood, welded up the R/T emblem and vinylt top molding holes on the quarters and made my grille frame. Now I need to make and install the headliner retainer teeth, heat and reshape the daytona back glass moldings and start welding in the vega plug. I won't re-install the back glass until the headliner is in place. Still waiting on the headliner, door trim panels and leather seat covers from Legendary. Decided to go back leather since this car had leather from the factory.
Gotta get back out to the shop and finish installing the partial floor pans in the runner that's on the rotisserie.

Charles Addams