News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need Suggestions For 440 Build

Started by 1971SE440, June 05, 2008, 08:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1971SE440

I came across a 1971 440 block that was just bored .030 over with a steel crank and a set of rods ready for the pistons for a very good price. I would like to build a street engine engine with about 375 to 425 HP that I can drive on the weekends.

Any suggestions on a build including what type of pistons, cam and heads? I currently have a 1977 440 in my 1971 Charger with a Edelbrock manifold and carb 750 CFM  and set of the HP exhaust manifolds with dual exhaust.

Challenger340

Are the speed pro L2355's still available ?

Used with some 452 heads around 88-90 cc chambers, makes a good baseline.

Choose Cam according to Gears/Tire Dia. etc.

Big Valves in the Heads for higher power is nice, but at the power level you mentioned, stock will work.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

1971SE440

I have 10" rims on the back with I think a 2.73 rear end. Not very good out of the hole but really nice on the freeway. What would you use?

Challenger340

Just my opinions;

L2355 .030 Pistons, .010" downhole minimum, do a "mock-up" prior to block decking.
452 heads, "well built", will elaborate later if ya want, but @ 90 cc.
Fel-Pro Composition Gskt .039"
This is an "Engle Site", so I'll stick with K54/56 or thereabouts on 110, call them and get Rec.

Thats my opinions for the basics.
You don't want anymore than 9.5:1 Comp. Ratio, so pay attention to the Head Volume, and Piston Downhole. If you're close to sealevel, it's still a Premium Pump Fuel engine.

The Heads are the "trick" to making this a really respectable Brawler for Cruising.
Don't cheap out.
Find a good performance shop, that knows Mopar Heads, and will do 'em right.

Only wimps wear Bowties !