News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

300 miles per gallon and being sold soon. Oh yea!!

Started by 1969chargerrtse, June 04, 2008, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

Hope this link works.  I always said the one good thing about high gas prices is the technologies that will be used to fight it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/vp/24951985#24951985
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

TruckDriver

I wouldnt even fit in that :P

I wouldnt wanna be hit by anything in that either :eek2:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Kevin68N71

There's nothing new here.  An electric car with a tiny engine to recharge the batteries.  This is locomotive technology, used long before the term "hybrid" came along.  In addition to absolutely no crash protection, my guess is that there is no air conditioning.  They never bring up the cost of replacement batteries, how long they last, and the EPA nightmare of disposing of them, much less the danger of those batteries in a crash.

You can put a sidecar on a motorcycle with a small engine, and while not getting that kind of mileage, you've got essentially the same vehicle comfort-wise.
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

chargerboy69

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on June 04, 2008, 04:22:55 PM
I wouldnt even fit in that :P

I wouldnt wanna be hit by anything in that either :eek2:

I would not fit either.

Get me a Hummer II that I can fill up with my garden hose and I will be impressed. But until then, I wiil drive my gas guzzling Yukon and Grand Cherokee. They can keep these POS econo boxes.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

hutch

I would have to get one for each foot and use them as skates.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

RD

my wife would love it... i would drive it too.. i currently commute 100 miles one way to work... imagine how much money i would be saving?  wow...
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

HKCharger

id drive it in heartbeat too. would save ton of money on my commute daily so i could puit more money in charger.

chargerrt

The whole NYC to LA on one 10 gallon tank of gas does it for me....and a $30,000 price tag  :2thumbs:

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: hutch on June 04, 2008, 07:31:09 PM
I would have to get one for each foot and use them as skates.
:smilielol: :eek2: :smilielol:  Now that was funny.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mike DC

Interesting news story but no cigar.   

It's possible to get 300 mpg with that thing in the video just like it's possible to run 8-second 1/4 mile times in a Hemi Charger.  I don't expect to see either one of these options at a dealership any time soon though.

We'll entertain ANY harebrained new automotive scheme on earth, as long as it helps us avoid facing the awful truth for a few minutes longer: 

It's time to start driving tragically-uncool 2600-lb 4cyl econoboxes made from cheap existing technology. 

RD

my 98 neon gets 34-35 mpg AVERAGE!  and that car is ten years old with 200,000 miles on the ticker.... what dodge product can say that now?  funny, i cant find one either?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Lowprofile

Quote from: chargerboy69 on June 04, 2008, 05:26:03 PM
Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on June 04, 2008, 04:22:55 PM
I wouldn't even fit in that :P

I wouldn't wanna be hit by anything in that either :eek2:

I would not fit either.

Get me a Hummer II that I can fill up with my garden hose and I will be impressed. But until then, I Will drive my gas guzzling Yukon and Grand Cherokee. They can keep these POS econo boxes.

I'm with you bro. I'll keep driving my 93' RamCharger.....Being comfortable counts for something.  :2thumbs: Besides, I'm seeing a motorcycle in my future.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

ACUDANUT

I think a Golf Cart looks safer, than that thing.  The price is crazy too, for a 200 lbs car.

HKCharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 04, 2008, 10:18:01 PM
     I think a Golf Cart looks safer, than that thing.  The price is crazy too, for a 200 lbs car.

savings in gas would pay for it fairly quickly imo

moparstuart

Quote from: RD on June 04, 2008, 07:47:38 PM
my wife would love it... i would drive it too.. i currently commute 100 miles one way to work... imagine how much money i would be saving?  wow...
wow where do you work ?  I commute 60 miles each way everyday
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mikesbbody

you couldnt pay me enough to be seen it that  :lol: the hell with fuel economy

ChgrSteve67

Quote from: chargerboy69 on June 04, 2008, 05:26:03 PM
Get me a Hummer II that I can fill up with my garden hose and I will be impressed.

If you could fill your car up with your garden hose the water district would charge you $10 a gallon for water.

I guess then I would have to fill my back yard up with rain barrels.

Steve (Got a water meter on my house - not by choice)

Recharger

300 mpg?  That just means the gas tank will still be nice n' full when you get mowed down trying to merge onto the highway... :eyes:

RD

Quote from: moparstuart on June 04, 2008, 10:31:47 PM
Quote from: RD on June 04, 2008, 07:47:38 PM
wow where do you work ?  I commute 60 miles each way everyday

fort riley  :'(

Khyron

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

ChgrSteve67

41husk

I agree, that thing is not the answer, but I have started to combine trips and even ride a bicycle on some short trips to save some gas.  I still get in the charger and cruize when ever the mood hits me, but these prices are starting to effect my life style.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

MoParMetal

looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

aussiemuscle

on tv last night they had a car powered by compressed air. it's non-emission (air in air out). it's comparable to a full-electric car, getting 110km/h (65mph) and 200km range on tank (120mile). all you do to refill is hook up to an air compressor like they use to fill the tires (but higher compression). Those crazy frenchmen! :rofl:

Old Moparz

I think it looks pretty cool & it wouldn't bother me to have one at all. I work 3.5 miles from my house, so it would be over a year & a half between fill ups with a 10 gallon tank.   :smilielol:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

1969chargerrtse

I had sent an email out to family and friends also to show them the link, and one of my friends wrote me back that he just put a 500.00 deposit down for one on their site.  How cool is that?  I like it.  I'm a biker anyway, it's still safer than all the people that run around on bikes or mopeds.

http://www.aptera.com/

There's lots of info on the site like safety

SAFETY

How safe is the Aptera?  What about the body strength? 

With safety being our top priority, we have raised our standard beyond the requirements of a typical passenger car.  Nothing is normal or standard for the Aptera so why should we stick to "normal" safety standards?  For example, the Typ-1 roof is designed to EXCEED rollover strength requirements spelled out in FMVSS(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) 216 for passenger cars. The doors also far EXCEED mandated strength requirements for passenger cars as does our 45" frontal impact deflection and crumple zone.  We decided not just to meet many of the requirements for passenger cars, but we chose to exceed them.  Industry safety standards are very different for passenger cars and motorcycles; we are choosing to go well beyond the industry safety standard for passenger cars so Aptera drivers can feel safe in any driving situation.

What are some of the safety features unique to the Aptera?

The Aptera's composite safety cage is similar to Formula-1 cars.  Our "Eyes Forward" vision system allows for 180 degree rear sight.  There is a display panel in the driver's field of view which enhances situational awareness allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.  The over-sized LED turn indicators located on the rear and side of the vehicle are easy for other drivers to see, adding greatly to the night and day visibility of the Aptera.