News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's up with these new Charger drivers?

Started by timinator, June 04, 2008, 09:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timinator

I've noticed when my friends and I are out driving our 2nd gen Chargers, guys with these late model Chargers act really bizzare. I've seen them pull over to let me by, then floor it and tailgate me or pull up along side and try to race. Since I don't like the new four door, truck grilled Dodge with the DVD player in back, I generally don't even acknowledge them. If they persist though, sometimes I just have to pull the trigger and show them that brute force will beat technology any day. Have you guys noticed this too?

TK73

Nope, most people think my '73 is a Mach 1 anywayz...

In the 7 years I've had it, nobody has tried to race me.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

lazarus

I've seen hundreds of new Chargers. Never had a problem with any of them.

Shakey

Quote from: timinator on June 04, 2008, 09:52:21 AM
I've noticed when my friends and I are out driving our 2nd gen Chargers, guys with these late model Chargers act really bizzare. I've seen them pull over to let me by, then floor it and tailgate me or pull up along side and try to race. Since I don't like the new four door, truck grilled Dodge with the DVD player in back, I generally don't even acknowledge them. If they persist though, sometimes I just have to pull the trigger and show them that brute force will beat technology any day. Have you guys noticed this too?

And this only ever happens with new Charger owners - no other drivers at all?   :scratchchin:

I see these cars on the road every day and they don't seem to drive any differently than anyone else out there.

I see this post as the weekly "waa, waa, waa - I hate the new Charger thread".   :rotz:

1969chargerrtse

On the brute force note, I drove my brothers BMW 6 series V8 conv.  I stopped and floored it and couldn't believe the lack of torque compared to my 440?  It pulled nice, but my car rips forward with G force and sound.  Made me happy to know my car was a real Muscle car.  I drive mine as a American Classic, and wouldn't waste my gas racing a new Charger ( except Chris our mod ) :smilielol:  Haven't seen that here in my state, yet. :P
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

konigcharger

never had any trouble with the new charger owners. as a lot they have been pretty cool :2thumbs:

did have aguy in a hemi powered jeep try to race me once  :eyes: that one i will never understand 

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

472 R/T SE

I've had nothing but respect shown towards me. 

This weekend at a car show, a purple Daytona pulled in and I actually hoped he would park by me.  Later at registration he asked if I owned the purple '70 and I said yes.  He said I was gonna park by ya' but didn't want to piss you off.  I told him I wasn't the typical classic owner (not my exact words) that rags on the new Chargers' and he could park by me any time he wanted.  Instant friend.  :yesnod:

4forty

I totally ignore them too, may as well be a Camry driver.

Charger1970

Quotedid have aguy in a hemi powered jeep try to race me once   that one i will never understand 

That sounds like a Cherokee SRT8. Unless I am mistaken, that's Chrysler's second fastest vehicle. (behind the Viper)
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

66chargerkid

I have seen a supecharged srt8 jeep out accelerate a Ferrari that's in my neighborhood

Ghoste

The new charger drivers around here don't even connect it with the old car, most of them bought it as a four door family car and that is how they view and use it.  I don't think think they've even sold an RT here in Mayberry yet, let alone an SRT.

Shakey

Quote from: 66chargerkid on June 04, 2008, 06:04:40 PM
I have seen a supecharged srt8 jeep out accelerate a Ferrari that's in my neighborhood

Was the Ferrari parked in the driveway?

69charger2002

Quote from: Ghoste on June 04, 2008, 06:21:00 PM
The new charger drivers around here don't even connect it with the old car, most of them bought it as a four door family car and that is how they view and use it.  I don't think think they've even sold an RT here in Mayberry yet, let alone an SRT.

that's exactly how it is here.. most new charger owners don't even know what my cars are.. haven't had one try to race me yet. but lord have mercy at the honda fags and even trucks that want a piece of the charger.. it's sickening
trav
i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

pettyfan43

We have a couple of guys in our Mopar Club that have new Chargers, one has a GoMango orange 06 Daytona ( I REALLY want one of those, but I ain't getting rid of my truck!!!) and BOTH have NICE older Mopars.

ALL new Charger drivers aren't like you describe, in fact, I have never run into any that are.

autodynamics

Thats cause the newer chargers are faster and want to hand some ass kickin to the older chargers....

Finn

Quote from: autodynamics on June 04, 2008, 08:32:57 PM
Thats cause the newer chargers are faster and want to hand some ass kickin to the older chargers....
:o
Them be fightin' words...

lol jk

1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

68charger383

but lord have mercy at the honda fags and even trucks that want a piece of the charger.. it's sickening
trav

Haven't heard that term, honda fags , in a long time,  :lol:

The politically correct term now is Ricer  :D That's whose usually always doing stupid stuff by me as well!
1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Dans 68

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on June 04, 2008, 02:47:48 PM

This weekend at a car show, a purple Daytona pulled in and I actually hoped he would park by me.  Later at registration he asked if I owned the purple '70 and I said yes.  He said I was gonna park by ya' but didn't want to piss you off.  I told him I wasn't the typical classic owner (not my exact words) that rags on the new Chargers' and he could park by me any time he wanted.  Instant friend.  :yesnod:

Me too. A gentleman asked if he could get some photos with mine after the show. I said bring it by and we'll do some photos! :laugh:   This was at Ohlone/Mopar Alley show last Sunday.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Big Lebowski

Quote from: autodynamics on June 04, 2008, 08:32:57 PM

Not all of the old Chargers my friend, my old '70 w/ 3x2's spanked the '07 SRT-8 Charger in the quarter, and off of the line. Smoked 'em big time. The best time I ever had was at our local 1/8th mile drags. Big story short...Me 440-6, 2600 stall, 4.10's, 9" slicks...And the competition, a slick Dodge salesman with a dealer SRT-8 Charger. He bragged something about wanting to get pics of himself racing the old green Charger (me)
         I Raced the clown 3 times that night...and I beat him all 3 times. Sure I had slicks & 2600 stall tranny, but the point is, I smoked him bad :nana:
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 05, 2008, 12:20:03 AM

Me too. A gentleman asked if he could get some photos with mine after the show. I said bring it by and we'll do some photos! :laugh:   This was at Ohlone/Mopar Alley show last Sunday.

Dan
He did a real nice job with that car.  Love the hood.
Great plate on the 68.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

elanmars

yeah, i don't really get that either because new charger drivers, most of them just drive it to drive it, not for mopar/name's sake. there have been quite a few that give the thumbs up, so obviously they know whats up. while i don't mind the car design, i don't think it's worthy of the Charger name. it's not a bad looking car, it's just not a charger to me. if someone wants to take pics with my car, it's all good, some of the mods people have done to their new chargers are interesting and not bad looking at all.

the only time i've had one try to race, was  when i drove my charger home after buying it, someone in a new daytona must have been knowledgeable that i was driving a charger, because he pulled up alongside for a while, tried the racing thing-but i took it more as a friendly thing, unlike a lot of kids in ricers-if i'm at a stop light or something, they start acting all stupid.

revving up their weak motors or if i'm on the highway, all of a sudden they think it's fast and furious  :eyes: and start driving all erratically and assnine.

another thing i notice is that when other people see it's a muscle car, usually a white boy in their teens or early 20's, they have this sudden urge to all of a sudden gun their car? like, ok? i'm supposed to be impressed? happened at the gas station when i drove the car a bit last weekend. it was a decent 90's camaro but IMO the bad tags took away from the car, plus it had terrible bling yo yo wheels/rims and i'm so hard, rap music blasting-and yes indeed, they were two white boys.

on the other hand, most brothers (black folk) give me the thumbs up. i haven't had one try to race, act assnine, etc. unlike these white boy wannabe thugs that are so prevalent here in Louisiana.

oh yeah, guys in trucks too. it's like, come on guys, this isn't a who's more of a man contest.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Ponch ®

Quote from: Charger1970 on June 04, 2008, 04:08:51 PM
Quotedid have aguy in a hemi powered jeep try to race me once   that one i will never understand 

That sounds like a Cherokee SRT8. Unless I am mistaken, that's Chrysler's second fastest vehicle. (behind the Viper)

A few months ago I was at a an all day track event put on by the SoCalLX club (but not limited to LX's). The fastest car there was a Cherokee SRT8 that ran 11's. Yes, it was modified, but so were most of the Chargers/Magnums/300's that were there - and I mean seriously modified - yet most didn't come close to the Jeep (on street tires and being driven by a girl, too).
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Dan T

Quote from: Shakey on June 04, 2008, 11:13:00 AM

And this only ever happens with new Charger owners - no other drivers at all?   :scratchchin:

I see these cars on the road every day and they don't seem to drive any differently than anyone else out there.

I see this post as the weekly "waa, waa, waa - I hate the new Charger thread".   :rotz:

Thank you Shakey,
Yes, It's getting rather old..
I have both the new and old, and guess what, whenever I drive the '06 (which is to work every day) it's some moron in a rusty azz Honda, or a middle aged dude in a big SUV up my tail as I'm trying to go the speed limit with my 2 month old son in the back.
The flip side is that the car will almost everyday garner a thumbs up from someone who is familiar with the Hemi & Charger names.
For those who hate new Chargers..it's simple, don't buy one!!
1969 Charger R/T
1969 Dart Custom
2006 Charger R/T

TK73

For someone who has TRIED to like the...
Quote from: Dan T on June 05, 2008, 10:57:35 PM
... new Chargers..it's simple, don't buy one!!

I didn't   :icon_smile_big:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

4forty

Quote from: TK73 on June 05, 2008, 11:13:07 PM

I won't....

Orange_Crush

Quote from: Shakey on June 04, 2008, 07:04:27 PM
Quote from: 66chargerkid on June 04, 2008, 06:04:40 PM

Was the Ferrari parked in the driveway?

425 horsepower and all wheel drive will pretty much waste anything short of an enzo off the line.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: 4forty on June 06, 2008, 08:55:31 AM
Quote from: TK73 on June 05, 2008, 11:13:07 PM

I won't....

HEY...I recognize those!  The teenage girl across the street has one!
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

4forty

you shouldn't be checking out what teenage girls have :nono:..........

sick dawg

Quote from: Dans 68 on June 05, 2008, 12:20:03 AM

Now that I've seen them parked side by side, I can really see the resemblance!

Dan

moparmandan

Geez guys, have you guys even driven an SRT anything?! A SRT LX runs low 12's in the quarter, handle and stop awesome too. On of the "regular R/T's will run a low 14. They too stock, will stomp almost any stock "muscle car".
I agree the whole 4dr thing and bastardizing the charger nameplate used to really piss me off to. But after driving alot of them, they are a NICE car.
I can't wait to try on a new challenger. THATS a sexy mopar! :2thumbs:~Dan

Ghoste

Your last sentence summed it all up.  You know one of the reasons why there are so many more 69 Chargers powered by 318's?  Because they were every bit as sexy as the 440 powered ones.  Performance is a big deal but it needs to be attractive too.

Brock Samson

I've had only a few incidents with my old R/T where folks get competitive, in one instance i was with my youngest neice and an all black R/T obviously modded merging a block ahead went all ape shit when he saw he had the jump on me,.. I wouldn't scare or endanger my neice even trying if it was fair,.. I pick my spots,..
One encounter i wrote about here was when a bone stock '06 tried to beat me to the gas station from the light across the street and from it's vantage point that sure didn't go very well...  :D
and several times folks in neo-chargers get all excited when they see mine... usually the level of excitment is in direct proportion to their youth and number of occupants, but that's usually the case anyway no matter what the car...
I think mostly the Skunk intimidates most garden variety "magnum sedans"  and most other cars anyway,.. I try to keep as low a profile as possible and drive as smooth as I can no matter what my car company in the vicinity is,.. I know how the lights are timed in this city virtually everywhere, and what lane holds the advantage and there are now so many "magnum sedans" running around all over the place it's hardly a thrill to blow ones doors off,..  anymore... not that it doesn't or hasent happend...  :D