News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What cuts salvage yard numbers off of painted fenders.......

Started by bandit67, June 04, 2008, 07:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit67

My 18 years hit a mailbox that jumped out in front of him. We found a used fender at the salvage yard the stock factory color . The swap went great, but whatever marker they used at the yard to mark the car is not coming off. It appears to have penetrated the clear coat.  Will rubbing compound and an buffer help........seems when the fender is wet, the numbers bleed thru......thanks

Charger-Bodie

You can sand and buff it , but it will always show some unless you sand it prime it and paint it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Shakey

Quote from: bandit67 on June 04, 2008, 07:49:13 AM
My 18 years hit a mailbox that jumped out in front of him. We found a used fender at the salvage yard the stock factory color . The swap went great, but whatever marker they used at the yard to mark the car is not coming off. It appears to have penetrated the clear coat.  Will rubbing compound and an buffer help........seems when the fender is wet, the numbers bleed thru......thanks

Gasoline

BMOTOXSTAR

Scuff, base & clear is the only way with that stuff. Have you ever seen what those junk yard paint pens do to chrome....? :RantExplode:
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT

bandit67

Hmmmmmmmm, no, I do not know what those pens are made of.  I got the fender I got because the paint was in great shape and matched the car perfectly. Soooooooo, thought I was home free of painting , buffing and such. I shall try sanding with some 1500 and rubbing and buffing compound.  NEXT time I will avoid getting a numbered part unless I plan a total repaint......thanks.....