News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I roll odometer back to 00000?

Started by dspaulding70, June 03, 2008, 01:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

I have taken my old 70 Charger 500, pretty much have a frame up resotoration and coverted it to an RT clone.  I am considering taking the odometer back to 00000 since none of the drivetrain is original.  The odometer made one complete cycle and now shows 68,318.

Any reason I cannot have this "new" car roll out of the shop with zero miles on it?  Just seems to make sense to me.

Thoughts?

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

konigcharger

do it  :coolgleamA:

i've been think thinking about it too

If you have no vision or creative spirit, you can always fall back on the way the factory did it.

ryan053

why not.  as long as you say thats what you did.

CHRGR SE

It's up to you. :) I am rolling my new one forward to match the old one.  :Twocents:
Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.

68RT4ME

I see no issue with that. It keeps track of how far you have driven it since it's restoration and as long as you are up front about it with anyone, no big deal. I'm doing that with my '69 when it's finished. I'm having "Auto Instuments" do it when they restore my gages. Good luck.
'69 Charger R/T, T5, Tan Top, Tan Interior, Black Stripe. Complete numbers matching 440 4Spd

Just 6T9 CHGR

I did mine when I restored my cluster a few years ago......a few weeks ago I just turned 10k on the odometer :drive:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

defiance

As long as you don't claim it as new miles, why not?  If you know a car has been frame-up restored, mileage doesn't really hold relevance anyway (other than maybe miles since restoration)

RD

do it, most people (with 3rd gens) swap in 150 mph speedo's for the 120's... do you think they care what the odometer reads?  GO 4 IT!
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Fitz73Chrgr

I swapped my 115mph speedo out for a 155 in my Formula, and the 155 had lower miles.  It's only illegal if you don't disclose the information when selling a car.  Since your car is older than 10 years I don't think it matters anyway.   
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Charger1973

TruckDriver

Do it. Just tell someone if you ever sell it.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Shakey

Kevin68N71

It may vary state to state, but I believe that resetting the odometer on any vehicle, for any reason, is illegal.

However, I don't know how anyone enforces that, as what if your speedometer was replaced?
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Dodge Don

UFO

[quote
However, I don't know how anyone enforces that, as what if your speedometer was replaced?

If you bought a new speedometer from a dealer the tenths are in red.
Not sure how it's done with the electronic unit's used today.

A383Wing

I did it to our 66 Dart when I had to replace the speedometer cluster....reset it to "0" and started over....on a car that old, there is no law against it.

Bryan

Old Moparz

I remember when I lived in New Jersey that the DMV would have the mileage printed on the title. There was a space on the forms to write it down when you bought a car & registered it, or titled it for the first time. In New York, where I live now, all my older cars are exempt from mileage. If I recall, it's exempt for anything over 10 years of age. I don't think it matters since nobody will be able to verify whether the car had rolled over to 100,000 miles, or 900,000 miles.

The only time I'd think you'd have any issue, would be if your collector car insurance company needed the odometer readings. I know my company did, & every year when I renewed the policy I had to write the new odometer reading down. If you had previously stated that you had 101,000 miles, then suddenly had 000,000 at the next renewal, or had to make a claim, they may decide that you drove the car too much & increased your chances of an accident & void your policy for driving over the limit you agreed to.

Personally, it wouldn't matter what the odometer states on a 40 year old car. I'd dismiss it, as well as the seller's claim that the mileage was low & original, unless there's signs & proof that the vehicle was hardly driven over 40 years. I'm not after survivor cars anyway. I'd treat it the same as if it was totally restored car with zero dialed in on the odometer, or a brand new one. You have to base the car itself on the overall condition, the price, & decide whether you want it.   :Twocents:
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BROCK

I've done it to a few cars - new beginning, new numbers!  So I can relate to what your views are. 

I feel differently about it now.  I now prefer to keep up with the actual numbers of the chassis itself. 

I don't intend to keep my 3rd gen stock in any way - just a new view, different perspective from

your other feedback.  Hey, it's your car.  Enjoy!!!

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

aussiemuscle

its illegal in australia :shrug:. When asked, we just said we replaced the speedo unit with NOS.

8WHEELER

Go for it. My 68 that I have had for 30yrs now, needed the gauges redone, so 10yrs ago when I did the gauges
I put it back to 00000, plus the car had over 200k on it anyway, so who cares. I would care if it was a #'s car
with low mileage..............

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

hutch

I did it on my 73 charger to let me know how many miles I have run after I rebuild my 440.  Nothing wrong with it as long as you dont try and sell it as a low miles car.
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

tan top

although mine no longer had the original motor ,  still left mine  at 63k as it was genuine mileage , after i completed a nut & bolt resto !  , just preferance i guess ...  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jeryst

I know this may ruffle some feathers, but unless you replaced EVERY single piece of your car, then it should still retain its original mileage. The only honest thing to do.

SnoPro440

My Charger came with Autometer gauges.  Those are now gone and I had the original cluster redone by lilwendal.  I didn't see the point of keeping the odometer at 68xxx when it wasn't in the car for 18 years.  It is now set back to zero.
2008 Viper SRT-10
1968 Charger R/T
2019 Rubicon JLU

rusty lee

I plan on rolling mine back when done and as I plan on never selling it I see no problem.

moparstuart

Quote from: rusty lee on June 04, 2008, 10:26:12 AM
I plan on rolling mine back when done and as I plan on never selling it I see no problem.
best layed plans !

Shakey

Quote from: jeryst on June 04, 2008, 09:57:43 AM
I know this may ruffle some feathers, but unless you replaced EVERY single piece of your car, then it should still retain its original mileage. The only honest thing to do.

::)

moparstuart

Quote from: Shakey on June 04, 2008, 11:09:36 AM

that was cinda my thoughts , it's just like a rebody you can say it's your car and you will never sell it , or disclose it if you ever do . But there is always some dishonest people down the line who will take advantage of someone else .  :Twocents:

Shakey

Quote from: moparstuart on June 04, 2008, 11:14:28 AM
Quote from: Shakey on June 04, 2008, 11:09:36 AM

that was cinda my thoughts , it's just like a rebody you can say it's your car and you will never sell it , or disclose it if you ever do . But there is always some dishonest people down the line who will take advantage of someone else .  :Twocents:

With regards to the reset odometer - Any idiot that goes out and buys a 40 year old car with say 6,000 miles showing on the odometer and everything else is in like new condition and he/she truly believes it's real - deserves to get burned!   :Twocents:

280bb0

BROCK

Maybe  some of you will have an interest in this thread: 
http://wichargerguy.proboards101.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=interiour&thread=1468&page=1#11228

Since I have hopes of restoring both clusters I never did persue the best way to disect the odometer & just used a Sharpie. 
If anyone has the answer, I'm still interested in knowing.

Shakey

Quote from: BROCK on June 04, 2008, 11:21:38 AM
http://wichargerguy.proboards101.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=interiour&thread=1468&page=1#11228

Since I have hopes of restoring both clusters I never did persue the best way to disect the odometer & just used a Sharpie. 
If anyone has the answer, I still interested in knowing.

Send it to these folks:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25073.0.html

69*F5*SE

Charger1973

You should never count on an odometer anyway.  I used to know a guy who would unhook his speedometer as soon as he got a new vehicle so the mileage never went up and then when he sold it a few years later it would have the same mileage.  Theres lots of shady people out there...   :slap:

SanDiego70RTSE

Yes. Definitely.  I had mine odemeter cluster restored at Restorations by Juils and he rolled it back to 0. There is no problem with it, especially if the car has been restored.

BROCK

Thanks for the link Shakey! Looks like they do top notch work!

Quote from: Shakey on June 04, 2008, 11:28:53 AM
Quote from: BROCK on June 04, 2008, 11:21:38 AM

If anyone has the answer, I still interested in knowing.

Send it to these folks:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25073.0.html

472 R/T SE

Many years ago I called a guy in Denton, Tx. and asked about a '70 Charger he had for sale.  I asked how many miles were on it and he asked, "Does it really matter, it needs a complete restoration anyways" 

hemi68charger

Isn't it a Federal Offense anyways to "tamper" with an odometer of any car? Not that it matters... There aren't any odometer police out there anyways with these older cars........  I personally don't see how I gain anything from it other than what Andy said, a zero-benchmark from restoration.. But, simple math could take care of that too..

I've seen cars with less than 20,000 that are junk whereas I've seen cars with 120,000 that are great survivors, ie. my former '71 Charger R/T......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

I'm with Shakey, roll it back or don't but whatever you choose just do it to make yourself happy.  This is one case where I wouldn't worry about true mileage.  That arena is for unrestored survivors.

dspaulding70

Well, I went ahead and did it.  Hope the smokeys do not come after me.......Thanks for the feedback from everyone!