News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battery Pan

Started by jdiesel33, June 03, 2008, 01:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

About to replace my battery pan. It is old and rusted out badly. Is it literally just a "shelf" for the battery? I noticed that there is nothing actually securing the battery to keep it from moving? All of my newer vehicles actually secure the battery. Are the raised edges on the pan supposed to serve that purpose? Also, what is that cylinderical item under the pan?

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

4aThrill

The cylinderical item your refering too is the charcoal canister it is used to trap the fuel vapors. The fuel vapors adhere to the charcoal, until the engine is started, and engine vacuum can be used to draw the vapors into the engine, so that they can be burned along with the fuel/air mixture.  it's more or less for emmission control too.  :cheers:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 4aThrill on June 04, 2008, 12:57:58 PM
The cylinderical item your refering too is the charcoal canister it is used to trap the fuel vapors. The fuel vapors adhere to the charcoal, until the engine is started, and engine vacuum can be used to draw the vapors into the engine, so that they can be burned along with the fuel/air mixture.  it's more or less for emmission control too.  :cheers:

IIRC he has a 69 Charger.....that can under the battery tray is  a vacuum reservoir for the headlights ...

PS---dont forget to paint the battery tray body color...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

mikepmcs

:iagree: with Chris as well...

and I think it's a 68'

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

4aThrill

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 05, 2008, 04:04:19 PM
Quote from: 4aThrill on June 04, 2008, 12:57:58 PM

IIRC he has a 69 Charger.....that can under the battery tray is  a vacuum reservoir for the headlights ...

PS---dont forget to paint the battery tray body color...

about the same concept dude  :coolgleamA:

Ghoste

I don't know that I'd agree with that.  Granted both are cans in approximately the same location used to store something and both have vacuum hoses running to them but one is an emission control and the other is a resevoir for opening headlight doors.  One is empty and the other filled with charcoal, one is only connected to the engine the other runs to the headlight switch.  Maybe conceptually the similarities are strong but the required purpose is so different that the distinction is important to make.  Imagine someone trying to unhook the hoses in a 69 from the vacuum pods up front and route them to the carb?

jdiesel33

Wow, didnt know that question would drum up so much controversy!!!  :o

It is a 68.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

4aThrill

Quote from: jdiesel33 on June 06, 2008, 08:27:37 AM
Wow, didnt know that question would drum up so much controversy!!!  :o

It is a 68.

:smilielol: :lol: :violin: :lol:

69hemi

4AThrill, you seem to be a bit testy over being wrong as Hell.  Get over it son and just say "Wow, l  learned something today" instead of "Those guys are douchbags".

Live a little, learn a little & be gracious in defeat.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

4aThrill

Quote from: 69hemi on June 08, 2008, 07:14:04 AM
4AThrill, you seem to be a bit testy over being wrong as Hell.  Get over it son and just say "Wow, l  learned something today" instead of "Those guys are douchbags".

Live a little, learn a little & be gracious in defeat.

all is good, no worries  :cheers: