News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quick question about a Sound from the engine

Started by 79JON, October 14, 2005, 08:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

79JON

My 68 Coronet has a 318 and it recently started making a noise from the engine when i really get on the gas.  Its not a steady tapping or anything,   it almost sounds like something rattling in the motor.  It only does it when I get on the gas, but runs smooth at idle and normal driving.   I installed a new cam and lifters about  a year ago and I just checked the rockers the other day and they seem fine.  Thought they were loose. 

cudaken

Sounds like spark knock. If you have been running a lower octane, try 93 octane. If you are all ready running the best gas you can buy, you will need to retard the timing a little till it's gone. I would try 2 degress first, then keep going if that does not fix it.

Could also be a sign that the 318 is getting, when they start burning a little oil, they will get spark knock at the same timing and octane. You might try "Restore" in the 318 if you are using oil. By old BB had 152,000 miles on it when I got it in 1988. Was using a qaurt every 500 miles. Used the restore and dropped to every 1400 miles and was still running good when I yanked it with 206,000 on it.

Restore is about $8.00 or so and has to added to the oil every oil change.

Cuda Ken
I am back

Ghoste

Combustion chamber cleaner may help too.  You get enough chunks of that crap in there and your compression ratio effectively goes up.  Not to mention providing lots of nifty hot spots to light the fire.

gsmopar

Decrease the total advance in your distributor (not intial timing, let me know if you have no idea what I'm talking about).

79JON

Problem solved!!!!     I have been running 87 Octane due to unreal gas prices and thats around when the knock started.   Today I went back to 93 octane since the gas prices dropped alittle and it doesnt make any noises now.  Whew        When I started driving the car,  it burned about a quart and half in a months time,  so I started putting Restore in every oil change and now its  good to go.  Doesnt burn oil like it used to.  Pretty impressed with that stuff.

ipstrategies

What is Restore? My 383 has 116,000 miles on it is this something I should use? It seems there is some benefits to it, where do you buy it?
1971 Dodge Charger SE 383 Magnum
1999 Dodge Durango 5.9
1995 Chrysler LHS

myk

You should be able to find it in any parts store.  Restore is another engine oil additive that claims to "restore" lost engine ingegrity by filling the scratches and other wear related items in the cylinder walls themselves.  To be honest, 'Ken is the first person I've ever known to have any kind of success with it...

79JON

Its called   (i believe) Engine Restore in a silver can.    Its about 9 bucks and can be bought at any parts store and even wal mart.   I put it in every oil change and its helped a ton for my motor.    The car used to burn oil pretty good and I was constantly watching it, as well as it smoked a little bit when I cranked it up.    But now after using it,   the burning oil thing is basically gone and it doesnt smoke one bit now.

cudaken

Myk yep, it works if the engine is just tired and wall are scrathed. I read about it around 1989 in a Mopar Mag. They had a old Little Red Wagon and 360 was tired. Tusted it and was impressed with the power increase and oil use droppage.

When I got the Charger, she ran like death. Was beat by a stock 318 on the way home. Heads where bad and engine had the death rattles. Not bearings, just a tired rattle from everything, well being tired.

Had the heads done, replaced the chain and wanted to use Moible one, but at $5.00 a quart and using one every 450 miles that was costly. After top end was done, I used some slick 50 on first oil change, Restore and rest was Mobile 1. To say I was shock was a understament. Rattels where gone, oil use went to 1400 miles and the old girl was quite.

Rich (Mopar Heaven) had heard the old BB and said she was ready to give up the ghost. After I did the above he heard her again and said "see you rebulit the engine". Was shocked when I told him it was the same engine. Rich bought the old engine about 5 years ago and had 206,000 miles on her and still ran great. Right now I give my left nut for that old engine.

By the way, my Charger Rusted / Trash seemed to have some what of a shelted life (not from Rust). When I pulled the Charger out of the bone yard nothing was missing, even had the jack and orginal spare tire. More than likely never beat on hard, and no teens ever had the Charger with the stock AM/FM still the Charger and working.

Cuda Ken 
I am back

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: myk on October 14, 2005, 03:34:19 PM
You should be able to find it in any parts store.   Restore is another engine oil additive that claims to "restore" lost engine ingegrity by filling the scratches and other wear related items in the cylinder walls themselves.   To be honest, 'Ken is the first person I've ever known to have any kind of success with it...

I've used it in the past with good results myself.    ;D

BBD