News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Demon vs. Holley Carbs

Started by dspaulding70, June 03, 2008, 10:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

Anyone have thoughts on which way to go? 

I have a rebuilt 440 that needs a carb and I am struggling on which way to go.  I have ordered a Holley 770 but the shop guys are suggesting I consider a Demon carb.  I can easily return the Holley so that is not a consideration.  Please give your opinion.

70 Charger RT

I'm not familiar with the Demon but I was happy with the Holley 770.  It was fairly easy to adjust and to replace jets if you ever wanted to.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

moparstuart

demon's are great , and usually run great but if you do ever have a problem there customer service is the worst .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

CHRGR SE

The shop doing my car prefers modified Edelbrock (AFB) carbs. The cars they build start right up without touching the pedal.
Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.

moparstuart

Quote from: CHRGR SE on June 03, 2008, 01:15:57 PM
The shop doing my car prefers modified Edelbrock (AFB) carbs. The cars they build start right up without touching the pedal.
carters were good enought for the hemi   :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

kamkuda

I have had a Edlebrock, Demon and Holley DP on my 408 stroker and on my 440.  There were are 750 cfm.  I still have all 3.  The Holley is on the engine.  It provided easy tuning and the best power.  The Edelbrock is a decent, easy to tune, carb (just different) that has good street manner if you have good idle vacuum.  The Demon works but it generally fat at idle and leaner up top. Some of the newer models have quality issues.  I currently have the Holley on the car.  Tuned better for good air fuel at idle and throughout the power band.  It was the best of the 3.  But all carbs worked  I would keep what you have.

ronv

I've been using Demons for the last 4 years. They all have been great out of the box and with a few air bleed chagengs I have gained 15 hp on the chalssis dyno. I have had no reason to even consider changing brands.  :Twocents:

Challenger340

Best fuel curves and power, we've seen on the Engine Dyno, were Holleys.
Downleg booster 4150 HP series  :2thumbs:

No "diss" on the Demons, if you've got one and are happy, thats GREAT !

Anybody else, seen goofy fuel curves on the BG's on the Dyno ?
Seems to be BG metering problem ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Runner

Quote from: Challenger340 on June 20, 2008, 09:18:11 AM
Best fuel curves and power, we've seen on the Engine Dyno, were Holleys.
Downleg booster 4150 HP series  :2thumbs:

No "diss" on the Demons, if you've got one and are happy, thats GREAT !

Anybody else, seen goofy fuel curves on the BG's on the Dyno ?
Seems to be BG metering problem ?

when the bg claw carbs fist came out a buddy of mine bought one.  we bolted it on and turned on the fuel pump and the carb looked like a rain bird sprinkler spraying fuel out of both fuel level adjusters.  they didint put anly gaskets on either one.  the real joy is when you call them they are rude to ya.   other than that the carb has worked well,  all though it was a 850 and replaced a 750 dp holley and never et'ed any better on a decent running 454 street motor.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

No real "dyno" experience with a Demon but i've tried to dial in a few with no luck. Holley or Proform for me  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

Screw Demon Carbs!    I have run 5 of them and NONE of them ever ran correctly...    idle issues, return to idle issues, power issues....          Buy a Holley!  I like edelbrocks myself but holley > Demon
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

oldschool

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 01, 2008, 09:42:47 PM
Screw Demon Carbs!    I have run 5 of them and NONE of them ever ran correctly...    idle issues, return to idle issues, power issues....          Buy a Holley!  I like edelbrocks myself but holley > Demon
[/q
uo

]

i like holley's,very,very,very easy to tune.
i have them on all of my cars! :iagree:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Ghoste

Ironically, Barry Grants business took off largely as a result of poor quality from Holley and a lack on Holleys part to respond to customer needs.

mally69

Quote from: Ghoste on July 03, 2008, 03:37:03 AM
Ironically, Barry Grants business took off largely as a result of poor quality from Holley and a lack on Holleys part to respond to customer needs.

So, demon's should be better, correct. That is if demon were made becuase of holley's poor quality?

kamkuda

Quote from: mally69 on July 03, 2008, 06:47:02 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on July 03, 2008, 03:37:03 AM

So, demon's should be better, correct. That is if demon were made becuase of holley's poor quality?

I have heard that the demon had the most quality issues and part of the reason that Summit no longer supports that brand.

Ghoste

A couple of things happened since Barry Grant became popular.  First of all, he went from a small time Holley modifier to a big time mfg in his own right.  Secondly, Holley sued him for the first line of BG carbs which led to the Demon series and some retooling and engineering to make sure they were a little less Holley.  These two factors ensured he was unable to give the kind of personal attention to quality that he started with.

G-man

I myself heard of Chrycho Psycho "exorcising" 5 or so Demons into the garbage bin. Stuck Holley and had NO problem.

What I also had heard was the demons support tech is a joke, they run you through a 100 questiosn liek you dont know what your doing "did u check this, did u check that, did u make sure its bolted on right etc etc" and just running u through a list of 100 things instead of admitting there carb is no good and just to give u a refund.

Also there were metal shavings found in many of them (this may have by now been fixed)

Also, because they are so "specific" it is very hard to tune and when tuned stays tuned for not very long (1 day out). Where as holley stick on and forget about it.

Holley has been around for a lot longer. Holley carb engines win championships. Holley Carbs cost less and provide better/hassle free quality.

If you go with PROFORM or BIGGS or something rather... you end up with a tweaked holley. Now you cant beat that!

Go Holley and forget those demons, they only cause trouble (read ur bible if u dont believe me)  :rofl:

ronv

Some anti-demonites here! :smilielol: dspaulding70, what did you go with? How is it working?

Challenger340

Quote from: ronv on July 08, 2008, 01:13:11 PM
Some anti-demonites here! :smilielol: dspaulding70, what did you go with? How is it working?

I ain't an "anti-Demonite"

I just can't get the fuel curve "happy" on the Dyno, and my EGT's are poor with them.
Lotsa guys run them, and Love them !

Just shows how Crappy a Mechanic I am !

I'll keep trying, one day I'll figure it out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

83CHARGER2.2

Ihave had a few Demon's and had no issues. I would also add that I removed and inspected the floats bowls and metering blocks and made sure there was no chips and debris. Many people have had issues as a result of machining debris. I can say that my Demons performed well with no extra tunning. I had a proform that I needed to mess with the idle air bleeds to work correctly but eventualy worked OK. Demons seem to be priced beter than Holleys but I havn't checked recently.

Chryco Psycho

carters were good enought for the hemi   :Twocents:
& gave up a couple hundred HP to keep the power reasonable for Joe Public