News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What would happen if your Charger was stock and 2006 pulled up next to you?

Started by cudaken, October 16, 2005, 12:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar_head

i agree with most of u that the new '06 aren't the pertie-st mopar out there.... but if u remember the daytona ? everybody thought it was "ugly" i personally think its one of the most beautiful cars out there  :icon_smile_big: but maybe in time it well Chang u never know..... i still think there ugly though
mopar muscle!!!

Silver R/T

Quote from: myk on July 07, 2006, 02:33:28 AM
What would happen? Nothing would happen. I'd let the other car drive off and be on my way-street drama is immature and unsafe. Besides most, if not all new-Charger owners have no idea what the classic Charger is anyway...

agree, besides factor that it would be better to save extra $$ for that built 440 to smoke most any car on the track
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

THE CHARGER PUNK

funny uspeak of the 06 charger, last weekend a black 06 srt-8 charger pulled up next 2 us and we both gunned it off the line , and i gotta say those srt-8s do have the true 425hp stated it held its own for a while but our mighty 440 pulled outta there like it was standin still on the hwy-MATT

Mefirst

Well if a 06 Charger would pull up along side my 70 Charger the 06 would have got rear tire smoke blown al over it and as soon as the traffic light turned green, it would have been left in the smoke..

Problem is the 06 Charger is not imported to Sweden (-Thank God!!) and right now I would have to push my Charger to move it cause of a busted up 440...

My :Twocents:

TylerCharger69

I must chime in on this one.....There was, what I guess was some kid  who got a new Charger for graduation last year (spoiled lil' bastard)  anyway...it was Hemi powered.  He pulled up and started to rev up the engine.   Well...long story short, we both took off.....and keep in mind...my 383  is mostly stock.   He had me  until about 50 or so....then I started catching up, and passed him up real quickly  at around 95...The new ones may be quicker....but by no means faster!!!   My 3.00  highway gear may have been a factor too...but after that....I was even LESS impressed with the new Chargers......he was taching out  when I still had LOTS of power left to use.   Now there are some builds in this forum that would just dust these new POS, 4-door cars off the road.   I hope the redesigning in 2009  is not a rumor.

dodge freak

Yeah your gears stink , thats why it took off so quick-make that you did not. If you had 3.91's you would have not even been sure if he was trying to stay with you.

But you are doing great with your gas milage, 3.91 would kill it. 3.55's work good but again you would lose milage.

TylerCharger69

well...let's talk about......stink.    I had a 3:91 gear in it at one time.   I couldn't drive it on the highway for too long.   I replaced a 2:76 with the 3:91.....so...A friend GAVE me a rear end out of a Mach 1 that had a 3:00 in it.  I can actually say...that I can drive this car cross-country at any given time.  I still have yet to know what my top speed is, although I DO know it surpasses the speedo reading of 150.   Now...what would "stink"  is if I had to TRAILER my car cross-country because of such a low gear.  I dunno....but I built my car to drive and enjoy....not to have to trailer it everywhere...been there....done that....that's why I made the choice of a higher gear.  I can still   roast the tires off effortlessly,  and get  very good 2nd gear  rubber  and  I'm happy with that!!

pettyfan43

I have to chime in, I'm an owner of a 66 Charger and a 73 Charger S/E. Took a LONG time to find my 66 and my 73 has been in the family for about 20 years. I have owned 15 68-70 Chargers, a 70 RoadRunner, 73 Challenger, a 67 Dart GT, a 71 Duster, and two other 73 Chargers, and  79 Dodge Magnum GT.

I LOVE the new Chargers, Sorry, but I do. I don't see why so many people have such a problem with the car. I like the look, the fact that it is distinctive enough to not look like every other generic jellybean on the road. I like distinctive cars, that's one reason I love Chargers. From the beginning, they have always had their own distinct style.  I see them as a modern interpretation of my cars.  I know some people are hung up on the 4 door thing, I'm not.

I just bought a 2004 Ram with the little 5.7 "hemi" and I have to say, I REALLY like it. It has great power and torque and for a full sized truck, gets great gas mileage.  It is my SIXTH Dodge truck. I needed a new driver and if I could have afforded a Charger, I would have bought that and kept my 86 Truck.
All of my Dodge trucks have been very reliable and served me well.

I would not sell either of my Chargers, I would LOVE to have another 68-70 to park with them so I could have a "set". That being said, a 2006 Charger would look VERY at home among them as well.

Silver R/T

interesting how members with only 1-3 posts come here and say how they like 06...kinda suspicious

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

TylerCharger69

mopar_head

hey , i got only 30 some odd post, but i HATE the new chargers looks, i fully agree to those who said they should've called it a coronet, but thats how its got to be..... :'(
mopar muscle!!!

TylerCharger69

lol...I wouldn't even do it the honor of calling it a Coronet......Maybe a New Yorker???  A Newport???   I'd even go out on a limb and say it should've been named a Polara....But DEFINATELY not a Charger.    Maybe a Dodge Diplomat????

Silver R/T

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on August 18, 2006, 08:39:33 PM
lol...I wouldn't even do it the honor of calling it a Coronet......Maybe a New Yorker??? A Newport??? I'd even go out on a limb and say it should've been named a Polara....But DEFINATELY not a Charger. Maybe a Dodge Diplomat????

totally agree

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

dodge freak

How about Grand Fury ? No wait theres no more Plymouth cars, these guys running Chrysler are idiots.

Ghoste

Maybe we will all like the rumored redesign?   ::)The glass is half full.

TylerCharger69

The redesign  that Brock put on the forum  shows a pic of that Charger.....Now  I can live with that!!!!

Ghoste

Is that the actual rumored one or another of the many and better offerings posted around the net by people who should be working for DCX styling?

mopar_head

lol they should have stuck with diplomat lol that would've been great, that or polara
mopar muscle!!!

Lord Warlock

Its real hard to compare a stock to stock comparison between the two makes.  I'm a new member here, but a long time 2nd gen Charger R/T owner, I bought my charger r/t in the summer of 78, it was totally stock then with exception of g60-15 tires and rims in back, it had g70-15s in front, bias ply tires of course.  In the tires department alone, the old cars are at a major disadvantage against any new car.  But with decent rubber underneath, the stock 440 R/T charger would eat any of the new 06 chargers with the exception of maybe the srt8.  The R/Ts ran high 13s stock on stock rubber, but often smoked the tires most of the quarter.  In the late 70s, after I put L50-15 tires, the car would run mid 13s with a 3.23 gear.  That is faster than all but the SRT8 cars.  In its heyday (summer of 79) the charger outran all of its competitors, was the fastest car in my school, and one of the faster cars in town.  It lost 1 race in its 4 years of driving, and that was a highly modified 55 chevy with an aluminum 427 chevy motor in it and it lost by half a fender length Its measured speed in a quarter mile was 108mph, don't have an ET since I never raced at a track in it. Today, I wouldn't consider street racing the charger r/t, if I want to race I have plenty of other modern vehicles to play with that are quicker, faster overall, and safer than the old mopar.  My SVT cobra will eat any 06, and even an SRT8 with little hardship. 

As far as I've read, the SRT8s don't run mid 12s stock.  In fact most of the tests i've read bring them to mid 13 status which doesn't rise them above pretty much any of the high performance cars of today.  They are respectable in performance, and very comfy compared to anything in the 60s.  While I don't care for the final design, I thought the concept design looked good enough and was willing to buy one of those.  I waited on buying a new car for 2 years until dodge screwed the pooch with the new charger.  I prefer the magnum's looks to the new charger. 

If a new 06 rolled up beside me, i'd smile, I'd wave, and I'd ignore any taunts just as I do today in my current driver cars, all of which can outrun an srt8.  I currently drive an 04 Mustang SVT Cobra as a daily driver(a true high 12 second car stock), the previous daily driver to the stang was a 91 stealth turbo that ran mid 13s stock, and in its current form with upgraded exhaust, upgraded turbos, upgraded boost control and fuel tuning can run mid 11s in the quarter and exceed 180mph top end.  I have the stealth and charger stored out back, the wife drives a supercharged v6 grand prix which would in most cases beat any new charger but an srt8, up to about 90mph.

If a new 06 owner wants to live off the laurels and accolades of a previous generation, more power to him, but suffice it to say, it may be a nice looking sedan, but its still heavy, not too quick off the line, but has none of the appeal that a 68,9, or 70 charger has sitting still or going down the road.   I apologize for a lengthy post, but as many who know me at the stealth forums will attest, I'm a bit long winded.  (3si.org)
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

ITSA426

Is this question about what would happen when an '06 Charger pulls up next to my '06 Charger or next to my stock or nearly stock '66 or '67?  What if the other car is next to me but in a right or left turn lane?  It's just too much to consider all at once.

bull

I would let the guy beat me because he already feels bad enough owning an ugly car.

Lowprofile

Quote from: bull on August 25, 2006, 10:42:30 PM
I would let the guy beat me because he already feels bad enough owning an ugly car.

Ah, tell the truth.....You're just afraid he might take your lunch money & send you home cryin' to Momma!  :-* :D :nana: :D
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

myk

A new R/T pulled up beside me today, carrying blue-tooth equipped yuppies in suits and ties, and nothing happened because, as I've said before, people who buy new Chargers don't know anything about Charger history and/or couldn't care less about it.
Let's just concentrate on harassing 'Rice...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

69chargerguy

hi.iam a newbie here. i live in north carolina. been into mopars a long time. i currently own a 1969 charger with a 383 2bll engine init.i also own a a 2006 charger. the 69 needs a total resto.it is bronze in color and has a saddle interior and used to have a white vynl top.iam going to restore the 69 all the way except for drivetrain and brakes. the car has a auto on the column and buddy seat which both will stay in the car.sorry for the long post but as anew charger owner i do know of the old charger history. we should be thankful that mopar and the germans made even a hemi and rwd at all.the germans could have done what mopar did to amc.but as far as not knowing the history i think it is unfair to think all new charger owners are the same. i would like to post pics of my 69 and my 2006 chargers together.like i said newbie here and still learning how to post. been reading this website for 6 monyhs now.i like what i read here.by the way, iam 40 years young so be kind lol.soon posting pics of before and during resto of the 69. 440 auto 3.91s gear vendors  soon .... if any of you are near rockymount nc hope to hear or see you. also was mopar tech for 15 years.now working for a small shop in rockymount nc. so if a 2006 black charger pulls up it might be me lol.hope to get pics up soon thanks! :icon_smile_big: