News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing Fuel Tank

Started by jdiesel33, June 02, 2008, 04:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

Hi Everybody,
What is the easiest/best way to remove the fuel tank? Looks to be held in by 2 metal straps.

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

1969chargerrtse

I haven't done it yet but I can advise to run the car as close to empty as possible as gas is probably 8lbs per gallon like water.  I would think undo the straps, filler neck and gas line connections and maybe put a floor jack underneath and let her down.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

jdiesel33

Any idea how those straps come off? At a cursory look I couldn't see anything externally. I don't have the key to the trunk yet but am wondering if you have to access one end of the straps thru the trunk?

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

terrible one

The straps are simply held on by a J bolt on each strap with a nut. They attach at the end toward the front of the car, kind of where the trunk pan ends, and hook there. (UNDER the car, no need to get into the trunk) Get under the car and follow the straps and you'll find them. Due to the angle and how bad off the bolts are likely to be, the preferable way would be to simply cut them off with a Dremel then shell out a few bucks for new ones when the tank goes back in. Personally I went through the trouble to unbolt them and keep the old ones and I can tell you it's not really worth it in my opinion.

W4ATL

Replacing the gas tank is a fairly easy process. The toughest part for me was to remove the filler pipe (the pipe that goes from the tank to where you pump the gas.) This pipe is simply inserted into the tank with a large grommet that provides a pressure fit.  You need a LOT of pull on that pipe to get it out.  I ended up dropping the tank with the pipe still in (on my '68 Road Runner) which is what you are not supposed to do but I did not have any choice. I could not pull that pipe out for nothing.  I was able to get a better grip on it when I had it out. Perhaps the Charger is easier since the pipe is mounted different.

Other than that it is easy.  Remove the vent hoses and fuel line, remove the cable for the sending unit, loosen the two nuts holding in the tank and drop the tank.  Two people makes it real easy. I was by myself and still did it.

Good luck.

john108

I just pulled my gas tank in a '68 Charger.  It turned out that I still had about 7 gallons of gas, but not a problem.  But the empty tank weighs very little.
I cut the two RUBBER hoses connecting the tank to the fuel lines.  Disconnected the grounding clip.  Sprayed PB Blaster on the nut and threads of the J-Bolts.
The Nuts then came off easy, even after 40 Years.  Move the straps out of your way.  Lower the Passenger side of the tank about 30 Degrees.  The tank should now slide off of the filler line.   
John

chargerguy111

When I bought the trunk pan for my 68 Charger they gave me a regular b-body pan.It fit perfect but the guy who put it in didn't realize that it didn't have the cutout for the filler tube.My question is,could I just cut out the hole in the pan where it suppose to go without running into any problems when I mount the tank.Will they be a fitting issue?Has anyone done it this way?Thanks.

The70RT

Quote from: chargerguy111 on December 13, 2008, 02:15:03 PM
When I bought the trunk pan for my 68 Charger they gave me a regular b-body pan.It fit perfect but the guy who put it in didn't realize that it didn't have the cutout for the filler tube.My question is,could I just cut out the hole in the pan where it suppose to go without running into any problems when I mount the tank.Will they be a fitting issue?Has anyone done it this way?Thanks.

That is the way to do it, cut it out before you install the tank.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

chargerguy111

Thanks 70 RT, but I meant to ask if not having the correct trunk pan for my car would be a fitting issue.Remember I have a B-body pan but the Charger pan is different in that it has that raised hump where the filler tube goes through.

The70RT

Quote from: chargerguy111 on December 15, 2008, 06:10:16 PM
Thanks 70 RT, but I meant to ask if not having the correct trunk pan for my car would be a fitting issue.Remember I have a B-body pan but the Charger pan is different in that it has that raised hump where the filler tube goes through.

Sorry I wasn't sure what you meant. If it is in already you don't have much of an option. I guess you will have to improvise and make it fit.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us