News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help picking headers? plus- is stainless worth it?

Started by defiance, May 28, 2008, 12:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

defiance

so I just went through the remaining items on my engine, and it's nearly there!  Few little things like starter and a flywheel for the dyno runs, then the one big remaining item is my headers.

My original plan had been to get some TTI ceramic coated headers because of the excellent reputation.  I recently noticed a discussion about XV motorsports' stainless headers ... Which, of course, are MUCH more expensive ($1300), but I'm seriously considering them...  Reason is, I'll be using an Alter-K kit, and the XV headers take advantage of that extra space to allow for better clearances and access to the starter without removing the headers.  Plus, my understanding is that stainless are going to basically last forever, whereas even ceramic coated traditional headers will eventually corrode.  Is this true?  The clearance alone isn't worth the price difference to me, but if even good ceramic coated headers will need replaced in 10 years, the added reliability might be...

Also, for my build, I'd been thinking 1-7/8" primary with 3" collector.  The XV set is actually a 2" primary.   Are there any advantages to going bigger (or smaller)?

Oh, one more thing...  I've also heard that you shouldn't use good headers when breaking in an engine.  I don't have any old headers or exhaust manifolds (old engine is already sold), so should I just buy a pair of cheap-o headers for that?  Also, does that apply to stainless headers as well?

firefighter3931

Good questions  :2thumbs:

Stainless with throw off a bunch more heat. The creamic coating & thermal barrier keeps the heat in the primary tubes which increases velocity and makes more power. The cooler underhood temps you have, the better.  :icon_smile_cool:

The primary tube diameter is combination dependant. Smaller primaries move the torque band lower and bigger primaries move it up. In some cases the bigger primary will rob some torque but they won't hurt horsepower. Strokers make so much torque that a bigger 2in primary won't hurt the bottom end power and in many cases less torque makes the car more streetable. Honestly, it won't matter what headers you throw on there....your tires will be toast.  :lol:

Personally, i'd go with the 2" primary x 3.5" collector and run a 3in x-pipe exhaust all the way back to the bumper.  :2thumbs:

It's preferable to use an old set of headers for breakin. Heat caused by a tight motor, lean mixture or retarded timing will cook the ceramic finish....but if you get that all worked out beforehand a ceramic header can be used with success. It's the high EGT's that will ruin your day in a hurry !  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

defiance

So do you think there's a major longevity advantage to stainless over a good quality set of ceramics?  It's gotta be a major difference to justify that cost, but if there IS a dramatic difference, I'm willing to go for the extra cost...
And as always, thanks for all your help and advice - MUCH appreciated :)

tommymac

I used Doug,s Ceramic coated Headers on my 383 build for start up and run.They are fine,The fit was Excellent,with a mini starter,and only apox 600.

firefighter3931

Quote from: defiance on May 28, 2008, 04:53:25 PM
So do you think there's a major longevity advantage to stainless over a good quality set of ceramics?  It's gotta be a major difference to justify that cost, but if there IS a dramatic difference, I'm willing to go for the extra cost...
And as always, thanks for all your help and advice - MUCH appreciated :)

Honestly, i doubt that there is a big difference in service life between a quality coated header and a stainless tube. I can't say for sure because i've never owned a set of stainless headers but a ceramic header should last for many, many years.  :yesnod:

On a daily driver that would be seeing the typical rain, snow, salt etc...there might be an advantage with a stainless tube, but in reality your car will never be subjected to those conditions....at least i hope not  ;)

The stainless headers will also discolor over time (blue pipes) and the additional heat is something i would avoid if possible.

Inmho, the ceramic coated header is a no brainer   :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

71charger_fan

My uncoated Hedmans have given me 12 years of service and still have a lot of life left in them. However, they were looking tired and rusty. I bought a set of ceramic-coated Schumachers which cost me about $730 if I recall correctly. I got a 10% discount for having an APO address. Since I turn 50 this summer, I'm counting on these Schumachers to last until I'm too old to drive the Charger. I have a relatively mild 400 that makes about the same power, or slightly more, than a stock 440 Magnum. The Schumachers should be perfect for my application.