News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carter AFB Carb Help.

Started by charger500az, May 21, 2008, 12:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger500az

I have a 440 magnum that has been rebuilt. The engine has been sitting for around a year while I have rebuilt the trans, the rearend, and redid the exhaust. I had the Carter AFB  rebuilt by a shop. I tried to start it for the last couple of days and it won't start. It is getting spark but it keeps backfiring/hissing through the carb. Then the carb caught on fire. It took a while to put it out. The carb is leaking out the bottom on the passenger side of the base. I don't know why it's leaking. Any suggestions where to start other than fixing the leak. We moved the distributor back and forth but it never came close to starting. Thanks for any advice.

histoy

Any chance that the distributor might be installed 180 degrees out of time?   This can cause the backfiring & hissing through the carb that you described.   The backfiring might help to promote the fuel leakage.

68 RT

Float level too high? Causing engine to flood. Is it leaking at the front or back?

charger500az

It seems to be leaking from the left side at the base if your looking at the engine bay. I will check the float level and also check the distributor. Keep the help coming please. You guys rock!

Finn

Ive got a carter carb off my 440 and a rebuild kit for it that I don't have a use for anymore...

Just thought Id toss that out there  ;D
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

dadstoy66

Quote from: histoy on May 21, 2008, 07:13:33 AM
Any chance that the distributor might be installed 180 degrees out of time?   This can cause the backfiring & hissing through the carb that you described.   The backfiring might help to promote the fuel leakage.
I agree the dist. is 180 out it has happened too me before and did the same thing that you described.

charger500az

Ok guys. Now we me and my friend got the car started finally but it runs for around 5 seconds or so and then it stalls out. We can start it again but it does the same thing. It sounds like it's not getting enough gas. That is not the big problem. It has a very lound knocking sound coming from the inside of the front of the engine. It doesn't sound right for a new rebuilt motor. Could it possilby be the fuel pump rod has gone out? Timing chain? I don't know. It just really sounds like something is knocking or hitting internally from the front of the engine. Thanks for any suggestions.

73chgrSE

Maybe it's a clogged fuel filter.

charger500az

We took off the fuel pump and the rod seems to be ok internally. The pump however is leaking regardless of how much you tighten the bolts. I am replacing the fuel pump and the fuel filter just to be safe. I want to find out where the knocking noise is coming from but the car has to be run for at least 5 - 10 minutes to know for sure. It seems like it could be in the timing chain area. I really hope it's nothing serious as the engine cost alot of money to rebuild and it's never been driven. Any other suggestions for now. It is making a loud knocking sound from the front of the engine and it sounds real bad. Will await your replies and keep you guys up to date. Thanks again my friends.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: charger500az on May 27, 2008, 01:41:02 AM
We took off the fuel pump and the rod seems to be ok internally. The pump however is leaking regardless of how much you tighten the bolts. I am replacing the fuel pump and the fuel filter just to be safe. I want to find out where the knocking noise is coming from but the car has to be run for at least 5 - 10 minutes to know for sure. It seems like it could be in the timing chain area. I really hope it's nothing serious as the engine cost alot of money to rebuild and it's never been driven. Any other suggestions for now. It is making a loud knocking sound from the front of the engine and it sounds real bad. Will await your replies and keep you guys up to date. Thanks again my friends.
I would be very concerned hearing any noise and would not run it until I knew where it was coming from?  Maybe it would be wise to pull the timing chain cover and check the chain and crank cam alignment?  Did you talk to the re builder?  Is there oil pressure in that 5 min run?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

histoy

If the noise is coming from the front of the engine, you might want to check the vibration damper (harmonic balancer) and belt pulley to verify that they are tight.    A loose one will make a heavy knocking noise.    Torque the center bolt to 135 pounds.

charger500az

I will check both of those things guys. Hopefully it is the harmoic balancer. That would be an easy fix. I haven't run the car for over  a minute as of today. I will be very careful. I cannot get ahold of the engine shop as they have went out of business after over 30 years in business. They are a reputable shop however and everything was documented. I will keep you guys up to date and keep the help/tips coming.

One other thing, if any of you guys live near Mesa, AZ ,then let me know if you guys could possibly come by and look at the engine. I need someone that really knows Mopar Big Block Engines in and out. If so  you guys can call me. Dan 480-343-8854. Thanks.

charger500az

Just bumping this thread back up towards the top. Does anyone out here in Arizona have a little time this weekend. I can buy someone lunch or some beers for there help. I checked the harmonic balancer and it seems to be set at the right specs with the torque wrench. I'm leaning towards it possibly being the oil pump. Give me a call guys if you can help or I will keep checking back here for tips. I really appreciate the help guys.

Corellian Corvette

It sounds like your distributor is not in properly. I had EXACTLY this problem (knocking noise and everything) on a Chevy motor when I put the Dizzy in 180 out. I thought I had dropped a bolt or something in the engine it sounded so bad. I called my Dad in california and he just laughed at me on the phone.  :icon_smile_big:

Before you start tearing everything down, check the Dizzy first. Not saying it's guaranteed but that's my bet.