News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear main seal retainer fix

Started by hemi68charger, June 06, 2008, 01:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang.....
I'm trying to fix the situation where the dang seals stretched and ripped while I was installing the retainer because of the tight tolerances and the thickness of the seals down the side.... Sooooo, the retainer is perfectly fine.. Can I use RTV in the seal channels inlew of the rubber seals that have torn? I've gotten some responses to my post looking for a retainer and I thank all those individual... If I can fix it with this, then I'll buy one of the OEM units and just use that... Here's what I'm working with on my Hemi....

Cheers,
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

RD

IMO, you can use rtv, no one is going to look back there anyway.  OR you can go to your local autoparts store, find some big o rings that have the same diameter thickness as the seals, cut the o rings to fit and use them.  this time, lube them with grease before you attempt to slide the retainer in (and well...use some rtv to ensure the seal :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

hemi68charger

Quote from: RD on June 06, 2008, 08:55:03 PM
IMO, you can use rtv, no one is going to look back there anyway.  OR you can go to your local autoparts store, find some big o rings that have the same diameter thickness as the seals, cut the o rings to fit and use them.  this time, lube them with grease before you attempt to slide the retainer in (and well...use some rtv to ensure the seal :D

I did both, grease and rtv.. But the tolerances are too tight and it just wasn't happenin'............. Also, we have 7-11 autoparts here and the o-ring selection sucks.... I'll have to try a hydraulic supply hose.............
Thanks for the feedback....

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

RD

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 06, 2008, 09:38:43 PM
IMO, you can use rtv, no one is going to look back there anyway. OR you can go to your local autoparts store, find some big o rings that have the same diameter thickness as the seals, cut the o rings to fit and use them. this time, lube them with grease before you attempt to slide the retainer in (and well...use some rtv to ensure the seal :D

I did both, grease and rtv.. But the tolerances are too tight and it just wasn't happenin'............. Also, we have 7-11 autoparts here and the o-ring selection sucks.... I'll have to try a hydraulic supply hose.............

Troy

no kiddin... i used the same retainer in my 440 and didnt have any issues with it doing what had happened to you, maybe you got some shitty seals???
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

hemi68charger

Quote from: RD on June 06, 2008, 10:26:36 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on June 06, 2008, 09:38:43 PM
IMO, you can use rtv, no one is going to look back there anyway. OR you can go to your local autoparts store, find some big o rings that have the same diameter thickness as the seals, cut the o rings to fit and use them. this time, lube them with grease before you attempt to slide the retainer in (and well...use some rtv to ensure the seal :D

Troy

no kiddin... i used the same retainer in my 440 and didnt have any issues with it doing what had happened to you, maybe you got some shitty seals???

It was almost like they were too thick and didn't go down into the retainer channel/groove deep enough, hence causing to much material to change and thereby ripping...
Troy