News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New American made quarters at a fraction of the original cost.

Started by 472 R/T SE, May 29, 2008, 05:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

472 R/T SE

I didn't see any mention of Classic Body (Ron) and it looks to be an entirely different part of the country.  So that's two American made quarters now not counting AMD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Dodge-Charger_W0QQitemZ110257080616QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

472 R/T SE

Tigger

Hmmm, makes you wonder who much they actually cost to make those. I'm sure with the discount he's still making a profit, so the full price quarters must be marked up 500%.  Sounds like they are in league with Mopar pricing!  :rotz:

nitrousn

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 29, 2008, 05:31:08 PM
I didn't see any mention of Classic Body (Ron) and it looks to be an entirely different part of the country.  So that's two American made quarters now not counting AMD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Dodge-Charger_W0QQitemZ110257080616QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6199QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am sure that is Ron's ad. Might be an e-bay glitch on the location.

I bought a pair from Ron and they are top notch. :2thumbs: The AMD panels will be mediocre at best. You need to claissify what your needs are before buying. If you buy quarters that are so-so and you are paying a shop to install them you can easily exceed the costs of what the American made quality panels would cost. If you are a do it yourself kind of guy and time is not of importance the lesser quality AMD panels may be right for you.

Ron is a great guy and all you need to do is call him for a fair price. He packages and ships them like he was sending his first born child to you. He cares about his product and how it gets to you.

Profit is not a bad word. Ron put a lot of time and effort into making these panels let alone the the extereme costs for design, tooling, stamping. and yes quality control. He made an investment for people in the hobby and he surely needs to recoup his money.

Just remember putting these panels on your restoration project will be the last time your car will ever need repairs. Quality and value all have a price. With these panels on your car you can bet that the value and or appraisal of your car will increase over what the cost of the panels were. If you are serious on buying please take the time to call Ron. You wont regret doing so.

69*F5*SE

Ron's panels are literally stamped right down the street from my house by Flex N Gate.  If I could only afford the quarters I'd definitely save on shipping.  His panels do look awesome. But all I have is a 69 Charger SE with a non numbers matching motor. If I had an numbers matching R/T etc. I could see going for the high quality quarters.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: nitrousn on June 03, 2008, 01:53:23 PM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on May 29, 2008, 05:31:08 PM

I am sure that is Ron's ad. Might be an e-bay glitch on the location.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ef7b4b1dcbdd86d93bcbfa892152b84f&topic=44339.new

In the above link it says they are a master dealer for Classic.

Troy

You may also be interested in this:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,45021.msg492883.html#msg492883

Quote from: nitrousn on June 03, 2008, 01:53:23 PM
I bought a pair from Ron and they are top notch. :2thumbs: The AMD panels will be mediocre at best.
Just wondering what qualifies you to make this statement? Do you know something or are you repeating what you heard (from someone who may be biased)?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

suntech

Nitrousn! Nice to see that somebody is supporting Ron. He got a pretty rough treatment here when he took over the Hardcore deal, purely because he was formely working there, and the bashing had nothing to do with the product. I was one of the ones that supported him then. With that said, you are jumping the gun, by bashing the quality of the AMD quarters, simply because they have not arrived yet!!!! And............ looking at the reports from the other sheetmetal coming from AMD, i strongly doubt that they are as you describe.
Can´t we just wait commenting quality on a product, at least till it is available, and on the market????
I am not having any problems with people making a profit on a buisness, and i can only assume that people who has that, just don´t bother to clock in for work, since they love to work for free!!!
I am waiting for the AMD quarters, simply because i am in no hurry, and can afford to wait and see how they are.
One thing that makes me wonder though, is the pricing on Rons´s quarters. I can not find it on the web site, and up till now, we have seen pricetags warying from 2500 a piece, down to 1500 a piece. On the AMD site all is priced, and the quarters are 700 a piece.
I know that many is in to the opinion that it is close to impossible that AMD can deliver the same quality, for that price, but i do not agree, since US and far east has completly different labor and tooling costs. But this discussion we had before!!! :shruggy:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

hemi-hampton

Maybe the people making these in Asia live in a Straw Hut or maybe you can live like a king over there with a $5,000 yearly income :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Mike DC

Good panels and good service are where it's at.  Be it American-made or otherwise.  I'd rather buy from here in theory, but there can be good or bad items made on both sides of the ocean. 

I've heard nothing but good stuff about Ron's panels & service so far.  I've handled some of the panels myself at a show and I was very impressed. 

I've heard nothing but good stuff about AMD panels so far, but I've yet to encounter them in person. 

69*F5*SE

They (AMD) didn't skimp on the fenders they put out so I doubt they will skimp on the quarters or they would be stupid.

nitrousn

Quote from: suntech on June 08, 2008, 11:20:29 PM
Nitrousn! Nice to see that somebody is supporting Ron. He got a pretty rough treatment here when he took over the Hardcore deal, purely because he was formely working there, and the bashing had nothing to do with the product. I was one of the ones that supported him then. With that said, you are jumping the gun, by bashing the quality of the AMD quarters, simply because they have not arrived yet!!!! And............ looking at the reports from the other sheetmetal coming from AMD, i strongly doubt that they are as you describe.
Can´t we just wait commenting quality on a product, at least till it is available, and on the market????
I am not having any problems with people making a profit on a buisness, and i can only assume that people who has that, just don´t bother to clock in for work, since they love to work for free!!!
I am waiting for the AMD quarters, simply because i am in no hurry, and can afford to wait and see how they are.
One thing that makes me wonder though, is the pricing on Rons´s quarters. I can not find it on the web site, and up till now, we have seen pricetags warying from 2500 a piece, down to 1500 a piece. On the AMD site all is priced, and the quarters are 700 a piece.
I know that many is in to the opinion that it is close to impossible that AMD can deliver the same quality, for that price, but i do not agree, since US and far east has completly different labor and tooling costs. But this discussion we had before!!! :shruggy:

I am not bashing AMD. I am simply stating the facts. I am still on the AMD quarter waiting list. I was promised AMD panels a year ago. I have been waiting for the call for over a year. I have seen other AMD panels and like I said OK at best. Rons are as good as OEM if not better.

Dodge Don

hemi-hampton

69*F5*SE

suntech

Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Dodge Don

Quote from: suntech on October 25, 2008, 11:54:48 AM
Is that CBD both quarters and doorskins?

Yes.The full quarters and door skins were from Classic Body Design. So far  :2thumbs:

moparmusclecars

I'm not posting to start a pissing match here, but from what I read, "If you are a do it yourself kind of guy and time is not of importance the lesser quality AMD panels may be right for you." Lesser Quality???  Really? Wow that's a bold statement ! Still sounds to me that someone is already making a statement first hand, without actually having ever seen these panels. Yes, one can make a "assumption" based on a previous made fender, but it's still not the quarter panel. Let's never forget companies such as AMD are always improving and learning as they go, so I would see their products getting better along the way. I can't say anything about their quarters until I have actually laid my eyes and hands on them. Just my two cents.

suntech

Hmmmmm! What we have here, IMO, is a luxury problem, with 2 suppliers that BOTH are making nice parts. Some of the guys that bought CBD parts are trying to justify the the price they paid, like this:
QuoteI bought a pair from Ron and they are top notch.  The AMD panels will be mediocre at best. You need to claissify what your needs are before buying. If you buy quarters that are so-so and you are paying a shop to install them you can easily exceed the costs of what the American made quality panels would cost. If you are a do it yourself kind of guy and time is not of importance the lesser quality AMD panels may be right for you.
This was claimbed even before AMD had approved the quarters for production. Now they are out, and many people has them, and i have even asked here for feedback on fitment etc, but nothing so far.
Dodge Don has both quarters and door skin from CBD on his car, and as we can all see, there is a mismatch on the radius on the top edge of door/ quarter. Wonder how much it would cost to correct that, in a professional bodyshop, without bondo? These are both American made quality panels, right??
This proove that nobody is perfect!!!
These cars were buildt with much bigger tolerances than nowadays, something with a perfect fit on one car, might need a little "massage" on another one. I mean, all companies need a donor car to testfit, and that one might have different tolerances than yours!!! I strongly doubt that there is a "master" solid works or autocad drawing of a 68-70 Charger out there!!!
I am sure some AMD parts also will need some "massage" here and there, to make it fit your car perfectly, but one thing is for sure: We are a hell of a lot better off now, than 2 years ago!!!!
I am NOT bashing CBD for the mismatch, or anything like that.
I just dont see the point in arguing about who has the most "valuable" body parts!  :shruggy:

Personally i do not think there will be any difference in value of a finished car, due to brand panels used to put it together.
IMO it is the craftmanship putting it together that makes the quality, and now we have 2 suppliers that both are making this job easier for all of us!!:Twocents:

Dodge Don

Quote from: suntech on October 26, 2008, 05:48:46 AM
Hmmmmm! What we have here, IMO, is a luxury problem, with 2 suppliers that BOTH are making nice parts. Some of the guys that bought CBD parts are trying to justify the the price they paid, like this:
QuoteI bought a pair from Ron and they are top notch.  The AMD panels will be mediocre at best. You need to claissify what your needs are before buying. If you buy quarters that are so-so and you are paying a shop to install them you can easily exceed the costs of what the American made quality panels would cost. If you are a do it yourself kind of guy and time is not of importance the lesser quality AMD panels may be right for you.
This was claimbed even before AMD had approved the quarters for production. Now they are out, and many people has them, and i have even asked here for feedback on fitment etc, but nothing so far.
Dodge Don has both quarters and door skin from CBD on his car, and as we can all see, there is a mismatch on the radius on the top edge of door/ quarter. Wonder how much it would cost to correct that, in a professional bodyshop, without bondo? These are both American made quality panels, right??
This proove that nobody is perfect!!!
These cars were buildt with much bigger tolerances than nowadays, something with a perfect fit on one car, might need a little "massage" on another one. I mean, all companies need a donor car to testfit, and that one might have different tolerances than yours!!! I strongly doubt that there is a "master" solid works or autocad drawing of a 68-70 Charger out there!!!
I am sure some AMD parts also will need some "massage" here and there, to make it fit your car perfectly, but one thing is for sure: We are a hell of a lot better off now, than 2 years ago!!!!
I am NOT bashing CBD for the mismatch, or anything like that.
I just dont see the point in arguing about who has the most "valuable" body parts!  :shruggy:

Personally i do not think there will be any difference in value of a finished car, due to brand panels used to put it together.
IMO it is the craftmanship putting it together that makes the quality, and now we have 2 suppliers that both are making this job easier for all of us!!:Twocents:

I have never seen AMD quarters so I cannot say one way or the other. Can't imagine them being much different than CBD. All I can say is that the shop is very pleased with the CBD quarters. They are not mounted permanently yet as they were still fiddling with minor fit alignment. The doors in that picture are not exactly in the closed/latched position.

I'm sure the AMD stuff will be good as well. For me I needed them now and AMD was not delivering on estimated timeframes so I went will CBD....no big deal.

suntech

Quoteno big deal.

I know it is not a big deal for you, but for some it apparently was!

Dodge Don

Quote from: suntech on October 26, 2008, 01:07:55 PM
Quoteno big deal.

I know it is not a big deal for you, but for some it apparently was!

Seemed to me like it was folks turned on Ron and CBD because of the price that was predominant. The price was the price, you don't like it then don't pay.

suntech

QuoteSeemed to me like it was folks turned on Ron and CBD because of the price that was predominant. The price was the price, you don't like it then don't pay.

Think you are right, I was actually ready to order from Hardcore, last June. I visited them in their shop, when i picked up my car in Chicago, and drove it to Reading. 2500 a side did not sound terrible at all, for the piece they made. When Ron took over the deal, and got them out on the market, people were skeptic,thinking he might be Hardcore, under a new name, and had a harder time to gain potential customers trust, due to that. He prooved them wrong, but the roumers were already out about the AMD quarters, and people was under the impression that Ron was overpricing his parts, and people seem to forget that tooling and labor has a different cost than in the far east.
And then all kinds of creative arguments surfaced!! Ohwell!!! Like i have said before here: We should be happy that there are somebody out there like Ron and AMD, that goes through the hassle to make these parts for us!!  :Twocents:

Mike DC

It's just the same tired old griping about domestic-vs-overseas product prices. 

People complain about the jobs issue when you don't make it here in the USA, and the same people complain just as loudly about the prices when you do make it here.