News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

bitten by the racing bug...

Started by joflaig, May 28, 2008, 01:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joflaig

Went to the drag strip for the first time in 20 years last weekend. My car is getting major restoration work on it and will be ready in a few weeks. I had no plans to race it before -- just build a street monster -- but I'm afraid I've been bitten by the bug!

Anyway, I just have a few unanswered details left before I take it to a test n' tune in preperation for my first time bracket racing.

First, just to recap, we're talking about a '69 with a 512 stroker dynoed on the stand at 543hp and 612fpt. It's got an 8 3/4 rear w/3.55 gears, +1" espo springs, slide-a-link traction setup, QA1 adj. shocks, saftey loop, subframe connectors, 4 point roll bar, 5 point harness, battery is in stock location. It's an automatic, torque converter is 10" Street "S-800" Series Turbo Action (2800 stall - 3400 stall range, I believe).

Keep in mind, this is mainly a street car which is the reason for the gearing and the mild engine #s for a stroker.

I'm looking to run mid to high 11s with drag radials. Does this seem feasible?

I was thinking of going with the MTs. Does anyone know the biggest size tire/wheel combo possible with '69 charger? I have to drive an hour to get to the track in the car. In terms of wheels, who makes old school style, black drag wheels? I'm not looking for anything chrome-y.

Thanks!

73chgrSE

Same here with the racebug! Good luck. I'm sure you'll get into the 11's. :2thumbs:

joflaig

Quote from: 73chgrSE on May 28, 2008, 02:05:01 PM
Same here with the racebug! Good luck. I'm sure you'll get into the 11's. :2thumbs:

Yeah, I just wish I were more mechanically inclined. I don't have the skill to really get into it too deeply, I bet.

firefighter3931

Ya, 11's should be no problem with that setup  :icon_smile_big:

I'd use the MT drag radials (275/60/15) with a set of 15x8 steel wheels. Crager makes the rim....it's called a "Soft 8" and they're cheap.  ;)

I recommended this wheel/tire combo to Vegas Mike and he ran it down the track in Vegas during the Mats show. Hooked hard and zero wheelspin with a good burnout. Aired them down to 20 psi at the track.  :2thumbs:

Bolted them on at home....drove there and raced, then drove home. These are awesome DOT tires that hook like a slick !  :2thumbs:

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 28, 2008, 02:40:49 PM
I'd use the MT drag radials (275/60/15) with a set of 15x8 steel wheels. Crager makes the rim....it's called a "Soft 8" and they're cheap.  ;)

Under 40 bucks, yeah that's cheap alright!

Just curious:

1. when do you need to start worrying about going to a dana 60 rear?

2. Should I bother taking the sway bar off?

3. Any advantage to removing the muffler's from the exhaust

Aside of the adjusting the QA1s, and the slide-a-link and tire pressure any other little things?

Mefirst

Quote from: joflaig on May 28, 2008, 02:52:50 PM

Just curious:

1. when do you need to start worrying about going to a Dana 60 rear?

1. When you start to leave pieces of the 8 3/4" axel at the starting line.. You don't have to go buy a Dana right away. The 8 3/4" axel can take allot of beating.. or maby not. It al depends on how good its put together. Problem is the weight of your car and if you manage to get a "Dead on" hook at the rear tires, then you might mess up the 8 3/4" axel.. In my op. just go to the track and race! If you detonate the 8 3/4" axel, well then go buy a Dana 60...

2. Unbolting the sway bar will let the front end of the car raise up faster, placing more weight on the rear end to help plant the rear tires.. But thats not the only thing... Smaller diameter torison bars, drag racing chocks, etc... Again this is the tough decision, how much are you willing to sacrifice the ride comfort to get good 1/4mile time slips?? Then again reading about your ride setup, well just go al the way, your already started down that path...

3. You will get some power gain from unhooking the exhaust system, but many tracks don't allowe cars to run with out mufflers.. Also running a V8 on open headers, well it sounds cool for about 5 seconds, after that it does tend to get annoying... Buy a par of good flowing mufflers, like the Dynomax Ultra Flows...

/Tom

joflaig

Quote from: Mefirst on May 28, 2008, 05:36:57 PM
3. You will get some power gain from unhooking the exhaust system, but many tracks don't allowe cars to run with out mufflers.. Also running a V8 on open headers, well it sounds cool for about 5 seconds, after that it does tend to get annoying... Buy a par of good flowing mufflers, like the Dynomax Ultra Flows...

/Tom

Thanks, that's good advice. I'll just take things slowly. I've already got the Ultra Flows!

73chgrSE

I took my mufflers off a few months ago,and i must say, it's awesome! Now i atleast sound like i have 400 horsepower. Nobody said anything to me at the track because even without mufflers i couldn't even hear my car over the serious guy's rides. :smilielol:

oldschool

be careful with that racing bug!
you will need a money tree in your front yard,and two in the back yard. :lol:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

joflaig

Quote from: oldschool on May 28, 2008, 08:16:48 PM
be careful with that racing bug!
you will need a money tree in your front yard,and two in the back yard. :lol:

I hear ya, my money tree has had it's leaves plucked already so this is all on a bugdet for now -- tires and wheels will be it, I swear! Somehow watching those muscle cars at the strip, it's their native environment, not some trans am circuit...

Mefirst

Quote from: joflaig on May 28, 2008, 08:29:44 PM
I hear ya, my money tree has had it's leaves plucked already so this is all on a budget for now -- tires and wheels will be it, I swear!

The "Budget" is the first thing you ll trash when building your ride into a race car :D I have questioned my sanity several times concerning my car and how much money Ive spent on it over the years :scratchchin: By the way, I have been working on my ride since 2002. Got it running in 2006 only to blow up the 440 powering it after 3 runs... Hopefully my ride will see some action again in about a month or so.. -Ooh, and I will miss out on the first race weeked this season cause of a couple of issues that has caused some severe :brickwall:

/Tom

firefighter3931

Quote from: joflaig on May 28, 2008, 02:52:50 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 28, 2008, 02:40:49 PM

Under 40 bucks, yeah that's cheap alright!

Just curious:

1. when do you need to start worrying about going to a dana 60 rear?

Aside of the adjusting the QA1s, and the slide-a-link and tire pressure any other little things?

Yep, those steelies sure are cheap and they fit perfect with the 275/60 MT's  :2thumbs:

(1) You're close to needing a Dana.....but with an automatic trans and footbraking it should be OK for the odd pass at the track. If you plan to race frequently then a Dana would be a wise investment.

(2) you can just loosen the swaybar endlinks....no need to remove the bar entirely. Like Tom said....this will loosen the front end up and help with weight transfer to plant the rear tires better.

(3) With the wide lobed cam removing the exhaust isn't as critical. You have the Ultraflows and they work fantastic. I would leave the exhaust system intact and go race.  :icon_smile_big:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

joflaig

Thanks for the guidance.

I think what I'll do it is test n' tune it a few times this summer, cruise a bit and see what I like and don't like. Maybe in the fall or winter I'll throw a Dana 60 on there. The cost isn't so bad by the looks of it, at least compared to everything else I've done!

Anyway, one of the things I'll probably have to decide is if I want to stay with my street friendly 3.55s or go to something else. 4.10s might be a bit much for me.

firefighter3931

You're welcome John.  :icon_smile_big:

On the gearing....3.54 is perfect for yur engine combo. You're making a ton of torque with that stroker so you don't really want, or need a lot of gear multiplication to launch that beast....let the big cube motor do it's job !  ;)

Looking at your dyno sheet posted below i would suggest you install the 6000rpm chip in the MSD and shift the engine at 5700-5800 rpm on the 1-2 & 2-3 upshifts and let the ET's fall where they may. There's no point in over revving this motor....it won't go any faster. That shiftpoint will put your motor right back into the meat of your powerband and maximum torque(4200-4300)....exactly where you want it.  :2thumbs:

http://johnflaig.com/GL/dyno/Page2.pdf

Ron

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

firefighter3931

John, here are a few pix of Mike's 68 with the Soft 8's and 275/60 Mt's   :scope:

#1 : side view under the tent in Vegas....this is a showcar too  :icon_smile_cool:

#2 : heating them up in the box   :icon_smile_big:

#3 : Mike staging at the line  :METAL:

#4 : launching hard and zero  wheelspin  :2thumbs:

Ron

joflaig

Yup, I had them use the 6000 chip.

Those are some sweet pics of that '68! I like the wheels, no flash, all purpose.

I came across a purple Chevelle while driving to drag strip last weekend, oh how I wished I had been in my other car instead of the Subaru.

Runner

hey ron, is that vegas mikes charger?   what did it run?   and whats it weigh?   his engine is damn close to mine except i think hes uning a 440 block?

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on May 29, 2008, 09:37:32 PM
hey ron, is that vegas mikes charger?   what did it run?   and whats it weigh?   his engine is damn close to mine except i think hes uning a 440 block?

Mike, yes that is Vegas Mike's car. It's running in the mid 12's right now in the heat....DA that day was close to 4000 ft.  :eek2:

Mike needs some more seat time & practice. He was short shifting it that day (4500 rpm ?) and needs to get a shift light  ;)

I'd like to see a better intake than the old school torker....maybe an SD ot TM7  :yesnod:

Not sure what it weighs but it's a full interior all steel 68 so it's no lightweight.  :lol:

Ron

R2

Nice red Charger Ron,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :cheers:

Runner

thanks ron,  i know my junk would slow a fair bit going to vegas,   plus i think im probably a couple hundred pounds lighter.      his charger is very nice!!

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

firefighter3931

Quote from: Runner on May 31, 2008, 08:02:32 PM
thanks ron,  i know my junk would slow a fair bit going to vegas,   plus i think im probably a couple hundred pounds lighter.      his charger is very nice!!

Mike, all the guys from California that  I talked to in the pits said the same thing....their cars were 3.5-4 tenths slower than normal. I'm sure the elevated DA had something to do with it.

I'm sure Mike's motor is making enough steam to get him into the 11's.....it's gonna take some practice and experience along with a few tweaks but he'll get there, no doubt !  :yesnod:

The car is beautiful....looks better in person. Mike did a fantastic job !

Ron

Challenger340

Try Racing in Calgary :brickwall:

Most days with the westerlies we see 4500 ft. air and the cars really wheeze to get anything.

Nice going to a Sea level track and pickup half a second.
Only wimps wear Bowties !