News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

need a cam for my rb stroker.

Started by hard-charger, May 01, 2008, 04:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hard-charger

right on! I finaly got me a new stroker motor. but it has no cam in it right now. 
i was wondering what would be a mean stick for this motor, as im new to the stroker club.
im basicly looking a cam the can be mean as hell on the track, hit hard off the line, but can drive me home after the races. like a race cam thats isnt full race, if that makes any sense.
lol....
im a big fan of engle cams but have no idea which on would be what im looking for with this motor.
my engine is,

440 block.
4.15 stroke
stock length rods.
pistons 10.1 or a tad more.
40 over
indy sr heads with bowl work.
intake is undecided right now, but im thinking of running my wieand tnnel ram w/ 2 660's off my 446 but port match it to the sr's
headers are also undecided, as i have a pair of chrome 2 inch dougs heads, but don know if they even fit. but i guess im gonna run 2 inch headers whatever they are.
3" exhuast w/ an x pipe. into 3" dynomax bullets.
trans is a 727w/ a manuel shift valve body.
tci super street fighter converter. ( aprox 3800 stall)
4:10 detroit loker in a 8/34 489

any sugestions will be pricless to me!  thanks all!!!!!!! :popcrn:

firefighter3931

A good off the shelf grind for that combo would be the (pn 23-362-5) Comp XTQ294S cam which is a 3 bolt flank and specs out at :

294/299 (advertised duration)
264/270 @ .050 valve lift
.567/.579 lift
108* lsa

* this will work great with a 3800 stall.  :2thumbs:

If you want something a little more agressive i can fix you up with a great cam grinder and he can spec out a custom stick....but you might need more converter if the duration increases....

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hard-charger

hey, thanks ron!
does that cam have that ugly lumpy sound that people love so much? lol...
i saw a post on somewhere about some lifters with a oil whole in the middle. do you have any experience with them? and if so, where do you get them?
and would by any chance know if 2inch dogs headers fit sr heads in  69 charger?
one more question... lol.. the engine combo i got came with a duel plane indy intake. are they any good? cause i personaly have never seen one run. but ive seen them on show cars. :scope:
thanks again!!

firefighter3931

HC, the XTQ stick is ground on a 108* lsa so yes...it will lope a little. Don't worry, nobody wll mistake it for a stock repro cam  :lol:

The EDM lifters are the hot ticket...i wouldn't run a solid cam without them nowadays  :2thumbs:

http://www.competitionproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=91718

The raised port SR heads work with the tti stepped headers on an RB block. On a B block you can use any header designed for an RB if you're using the SR heads. The raised ex port limits header selection on RB engine builds, unfortunately. Never heard of Dog headers ?

The ICH dual plane looks like a very nice piece. StreetWize is running one on his 517 ci lowdeck with Chapman heads and seems impressed. I like it for the hood clearance on a second gen Charger...no hood scoop required.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hard-charger

sorry typo, dougs headers. lol..
i also did a little reserch on my converter, it rated more or less at 3600. thought it was 3800.
anywho, that cam sounds mean, do you think it would be a bit better if it had a bit more lift? like maybe i around more close to 580+ somthing lift on the intake and 600 or a smigion more on the exhaust? dont sound like much more, but im loking for every little bit i can find without the motor loosing power.
thanks again ron!

firefighter3931

Quote from: hard-charger on May 02, 2008, 10:44:28 PM
sorry typo, dougs headers. lol..
i also did a little reserch on my converter, it rated more or less at 3600. thought it was 3800.
anywho, that cam sounds mean, do you think it would be a bit better if it had a bit more lift? like maybe i around more close to 580+ somthing lift on the intake and 600 or a smigion more on the exhaust? dont sound like much more, but im loking for every little bit i can find without the motor loosing power.
thanks again ron!

Ahh...Doug's headers, that makes more sense.  :lol: Those work fine with a standard exhast port location but the raised port on a 440 block won't work unfortunately.  :P

The XTQ is an excellent cam.....i wouldn't be concerned with trying for more lift unless the heads are heavily ported. The proposed engne combo will make enough power to run at least 120mph in the 1/4 if not more....good enough for low 11's or high 10's. The more agressive the cam....the harder it is to keep happy on the street. Very aggressive cams need lots of spring pressure and idleing on the street in traffic is not the best case scenario.

Ron

hard-charger

well ive aready got a hole in the hood from the tunnel ram. so its a scoop thing nomatter what. 
how much better do you think the tunnel ram is than the duel plane indy?  if it is enven better at all? i was reading an a articale on intake comparison. i think it was hotrod mag. where the wieland  tunnel ram was making the most torque & hp. up top & down low.
and what kind of hp #'s would you roughly estimate with the proposed cam and tunnel ram pkg?
thanks again ron!

firefighter3931

Quote from: hard-charger on May 04, 2008, 06:59:11 AM
well ive aready got a hole in the hood from the tunnel ram. so its a scoop thing nomatter what. 
how much better do you think the tunnel ram is than the duel plane indy?  if it is enven better at all? i was reading an a articale on intake comparison. i think it was hotrod mag. where the wieland  tunnel ram was making the most torque & hp. up top & down low.
and what kind of hp #'s would you roughly estimate with the proposed cam and tunnel ram pkg?
thanks again ron!

The tunnel ram will be better, especially on a std port head with 500 cubes. The ICH dual plane is also an excellent piece but it needs to be opened up to Max-Wedge to shine....and your heads would also need to be opened up as well. If you have the tunnel ram and carbs i would use it. If not, the Edelbrock Victor with a 4150 type carb in the 950+ cfm range would also work.  :2thumbs:

Ron

hard-charger

thanks again ron!
so what kind of hp#'s would you estimate?
i ordered the cam you recommended. once i get everything together im gonna be takeing it to the dyno.  and then its off to the track!!
thanks again!!! :yesnod:

firefighter3931

Quote from: hard-charger on May 28, 2008, 06:25:50 PM
thanks again ron!
so what kind of hp#'s would you estimate?
i ordered the cam you recommended. once i get everything together im gonna be takeing it to the dyno.  and then its off to the track!!
thanks again!!! :yesnod:

It's gonna depend on how well the heads flow....but even a stock SR should easily make 575hp/600tq with that cam and 500 cubes and possibly more.

Ron