News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How To Remove Heads?

Started by bordin34, June 17, 2008, 01:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

What are the steps for removing the heads on my 73 400. I think my backfiring and running like crap problems are because of something wrong in the valvetrain. I have books with some pictures that give me a general idea but want to be sure there aren't any surprises.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

1BAD68

drain the coolant, disconnect the exhaust manifolds, pull the carb and intake, pull valve covers and spark plugs, remove rockers and push rods and you should be ready to unbolt the heads.

SeattleCharger

I would recommend a larger socket set,  1/2 inch and a couple extensions for the head bolts, there are a lot of them and they are on fairly tight

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

RallyeMike

..and leave two bolts in place but loose. When you pry the heads loose the bolts will hold it in place. Have vacuum handy because its hard to drain 100% coolant. There will be some puddles on the pistons.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/