News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

best way to learn how to paint a car?

Started by kylem4711, May 22, 2008, 12:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylem4711

is the best way to learn how to paint a car taking a class?  or just doing research on the internet and looking on forums?

i also tried to look on the internet to find a class near where i live, (whittier, CA,  socal)  but i cant find anything.

anyone have any suggestions?

can anyone put in there two cents on how they learned?

thanks
1970 dodge charger rt 440 4-speed
1973 plymouth barracuda 4-speed

Rolling_Thunder

best way to learn is to do it..    that how i learned
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

JimShine

And do not skimp on breathing equipment. Automotive paint is toxic and even short term direct exposure can hurt you.

MoParMetal

Quote from: kylem4711 on May 22, 2008, 12:36:33 AM
is the best way to learn how to paint a car taking a class?  or just doing research on the internet and looking on forums?

i also tried to look on the internet to find a class near where i live, (whittier, CA,  socal)  but i cant find anything.

thanks

go to cerritos college. they have a pretty good automotive department overall.
i went there. realized just fixin cars isnt my thing. i gotta build and customize.
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: MoParMetal on May 22, 2008, 01:10:16 AM

thanks

i went there. realized just fixin cars isnt my thing. i gotta build and customize.

dude - you go to cerritos ?  I had no idea you were that close to me...    Cerritos is like 20 minutes from me...    creepy.   :rofl:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Kevin68N71

Generally, look around for colleges that offer night classes.  Body work and paint, including welding, are usually taught as "night school" so people with jobs can attend. 
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Charger-Bodie

Id reccomend apprenticing at a good shop .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

MoParMetal

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 22, 2008, 07:41:06 AM
Quote from: MoParMetal on May 22, 2008, 01:10:16 AM

thanks

dude - you go to cerritos ?  I had no idea you were that close to me...    Cerritos is like 20 minutes from me...    creepy.   :rofl:

i used to go to cerritos college. now im way down in san diego.
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

BRS

This site has great information on the subject. http://www.autobody101.com/

Also, like was said earlier, practice is the best way to learn. Get yourself an old door or fender and shoot away.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: JimShine on May 22, 2008, 12:58:51 AM
And do not skimp on breathing equipment. Automotive paint is toxic and even short term direct exposure can hurt you.

:iagree: :paintingpink:

Folks always pay the big bucks to make it/them look good and then skimp on the gear so they don't end up sticking around to enjoy it.  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

BlueSS454

After getting screwed on having bodywork and paint done to both my Chevelles, I figured that if I am going to keep building cars, I had better learn to do body and paint myself instead of paying thousands and thousands of $$$ for subpar work.  I took a night class at the local technical school.  There I learned how to properly weld sheetmetal, mix an appy filler, block, prime and block, and finally seal and top coat the car.  It really isn't as hard as you may think it is, it's just very time consuming.  You also need to acquire a "touch" so to speak for felling waves, low spots, and high crowns in sheetmetal.  I retook the course twice after the first year because I needed the facility to work on the Charger.
To put this in comparison, I paid $4000 to have the bodywork and paint done on my 70 SS 454 Chevelle and it;s not up to par as far as I am concerned.  If you take out what the class cost me and just use materials cost, it was less than half that for me to paint the Charger.  I think I have maybe $1600 total in paint and body materials (paint, clear, activators, primers, sealers, filler, sandpaper).  Doing a nice paint job yourself is very feasible if you have patience and time and know-how to prep the car properly.  Check out www.autobody101.com for more info, there is a wealth of it there.
Also, as mentioned, make sure you have good respirators.  Fumes, filler dust, paint dust, etc are NOT good for your lungs.
Tom Rightler

jaak

EMCustoms

I used to work for a mining repair company and when the project I was working on was over, I returned home with the charger I had just purchased.  Since I wanted to do the work my self I learned by getting a job as a painter's helper at a local shop.  Now I don't have a place to work on my car. :rotz:

Silver R/T

lots and lots of practice, buy some cheap paint, scrap metal and shoot every day, play with the gun. Get feel of the gun real good, all the adjustments, your spray technique, etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722