News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2006 "Charger" opinions

Started by Pistolpete, October 15, 2005, 04:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pistolpete

Just posted a welocme notice for 06daytonaR/T and thought I'd stir things up, seems like everyones got an opinion on the "new" chargers so.... :stirthepot:

Just wondering would your opinion change if they had a two door version? What would you change on the new one to make it "earn" that Charger emblem?
personally I really like the clip mustanghater uses as a potential idea for changes.

would ya squash it? stretch it ? engine options?

I'll sit back and watch the sparks fly!!

:popcrn:
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

Dale The Bold

The engine options are fine.   Two doors are a shame, but I can live with it.   The fact that it looks like everything else on the road is inexcusable.   The door count caters to families, which I can understand (but I still wish there was more than just one car for us single guys to choose from).   If they had given it some muscle car body lines, it would have hit the nail on the head for guys like me only married.   Performance/good looks for the guys, reliability and seating for a family.   That would have been the car to build (a.k.a. the '99 concept).

It's a shame that we live in an era where a Mustang is more attractive than a Charger.   1st through 3rd generation Chargers were beautiful cars and very distinct.   When I see a 300, I think I'm looking at a "Charger" until I get close enough.  

The high-window "fortress" look is ridiculous.
Matt. 14:8 (KJV) "And she, being before instructed of her mother, said, 'give me here John Baptist's head in a Charger.'"

Silver R/T

any drawing plum500 made, those look nice, even if magnum sedan was 2 door i wouldnt like it, it just looks like 4 dr truck
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

cudaken

See someone likes the "I hate them" postings. To me it like all Mopar's, Hate them at first then they grow on you. (does not count 68-70 Charger 69, Daytona 68 and 71 Road Runner or the E-bodys and a few Bees as well)

That is what I like about Mopars, driffrent. Press has bad mouth Super Birds, 70 Super Bee (thanks Hot Rod Magazine :nono:).

Heck, I did not like the new Dodge Truck at first, but I would like to have one now. Seems my POS 440 loves them, getting ready to be hauled around in one again.

Guess the new Charger is like Cam 2! First time you go Yuck, second time well not that bad, and say the 4th one, seem's pretty good to me.

If it has a Pinstar on it, its OK with me. Never have picked on a person with a 4 door Dart at a car show. Well, not out loud. ;)

Would love to have one right now, 6.2 Hemi and make mine Viper Red.

Cuda Ken

PS, rear doors are for loading Cam 2 (beer) not kids. :thumbs:
I am back

Blown70

Personally,  I hate them.

However, I see that someone may not be into the old.  That is fine.  The car I am doing will piss off some purists.... OHH well.  Cannot please everyone....

You like what you like.  I wish they would not have made 4 doors and done somthing with the grille. 

I personally think the engine options are fine... good infact. 

Looking at it from DCX they want to SELL as many as they can and with that said well 4 doors will sell better to someone who has kids...

Lowprofile

Well, I don't hate them. I'm just disappointed Dodge didn't give us a 2 dr model. :rotz:

Besides, I think I would probably buy one of these instead.....
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

70charginglizard

I'm patiently waiting 3 years for the (hopefully) complete tip to tail redesign.

Hopefully the 2nd gen of this new cherger model will be more what the classic dodge charger muscle car enthusiest wants to really see.

If it is, perhaps then I'll get into a new car. Till then there isn't really anything DC can do to sell me on the current derrivative.
70charginglizard

Mopar440+6

Don't like the fact that they're called a Charger. If they weren't called a Charger I would still most likely not be very fond of them. I simply don't think they look good, they're ugly to put it kindly. If I were in the market for a family car I would most likely get a 300C if I had to stay Mopar... My :Twocents:
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

TheGhost

The only complaint I really have about them is the name.  I think Polara fits this car much better, but, I wouldn't kick it out of my garage, JUST because it is a 4 door that shares the name of a classic 2 door.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Pistolpete

I gotta admit the thing has grown on me a little, I dont think it'll be long before we see a two door HP model - whats this srt8 all about?
'68 440 4 spd - Pro Tour
'69 R/T 440 4 spd

I love being me......ask anybody!

cudaken

Yea, I know the, the name bugs me some what, not like it did. God, I was heart broken the day Maw Mopar made the 318 the standred engine for the Road Runners. But they did that for 5the same reason thay made the new Charger. Need to sell cars to everyone not just a few people.

Guy's that are my age know what happened, it happen to us when we got in to are early 20's. We got married and had kids. Wife started bitching they where to loud, hard to get the kid's in and out of the back seat, she did'nt want to drive it and the list goes on. I was lucky, my wife had a 4 door when I meet her and was able to keep my 68 Runner. But many did not fair as well.

I as well hope they bring out a 2 door, and do something to the front end as well.

Cuda Ken
I am back

'CUDA360

I'm just glad they havn't come up with the Chrysler Road Runner yet.
Like the Magnum and the 300 it is a pretty nice car with good engines ect but they should have come up with a different name..
Throwing Daytona on top of everything just adds insult to injury

cudaken

God, I hope they don't butcher that name as well!  :'(

Cuda Ken
I am back

Badbob

If you don't try to compare it with the early Chargers it is about what you would expect for a new "American" car. It would look much better shortened up and with 2 doors. I looks cooler than the new GTO and has styling that stands out from many of the other new cars. With 425 HP it will outperform almost all of our muscle cars in every performance rating. I have seen many more aethetically pleasing designs for that car but many have been waiting for decades for a RWD Hemi powered midsize car from Dodge and now you have one. Looks good in bronze with the R/T package with the wing and stripe package. I would rather own this Charger than several of the earlier generations. Just my opinion and I have been around awhile.

Bob

'CUDA360

Quote from: cudaken on October 16, 2005, 10:51:53 AM
God, I hope they don't butcher that name as well!   :'(

Cuda Ken

They already did

BigBlackDodge

Should have keep the Intrepid name. :-\

The local Dodge dealer here in town had them lined up along the street for a few weeks. They were moved from the front of the lot to the back this week............used cars and trucks are sitting in front of them now! :icon_smile_big:

BBD

OldGuy

My problem with the new "Charger" is that there is no allegiance to the history of the company or the car.   Chrylser sold out to the Germans and the Germans have no concept or understanding of what went on through the muscle car era of America in the mid-60's to early 70's and what a Charger was back then and what the car and name represented.   Their only focus today is trying to find some marketing technique or spin to sell there product to the American public.   

The advantage Ford has with their Mustang is that they have kept the line going since the Mustang was first introduced in 1964 - 40 years!   Sure, they have made body and style changes - but there has always been a Mustang and they have stayed true to the basic concept of the vehicle - two-door pony car and their customer base has remained faithful.

So now with the new "Charger", we have a German owned company trying to sell their product design and style anyway they can to the American public.   Their marketing department is trying to take advantage of the resurgence of the classic and muscle car market with its name and memories and make that fit into what they think will sell the most cars to the widest spectrum of customers.

I lived through the Muscle car era - bought and owned a 1968 R/T in 1968 when I was 21 years old.   Personally, it is offensive to me to have some foreign company trying to sell me something that they know nothing about and trying to hoist it off onto the American public as some tradition that they have stayed true to.   If this company were in the business of selling pigs and they thought by calling their pigs "Ducks" so it would sell more pigs - they would do it!!
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

70charginglizard

Quote from: OldGuy on October 16, 2005, 01:00:08 PM
My problem with the new "Charger" is that there is no allegiance to the history of the company or the car.   Chrylser sold out to the Germans and the Germans have no concept or understanding of what went on through the muscle car era of America in the mid-60's to early 70's and what a Charger was back then and what the car and name represented.   Their only focus today is trying to find some marketing technique or spin to sell there product to the American public.   

The advantage Ford has with their Mustang is that they have kept the line going since the Mustang was first introduced in 1964 - 40 years!   Sure, they have made body and style changes - but there has always been a Mustang and they have stayed true to the basic concept of the vehicle - two-door pony car and their customer base has remained faithful.

So now with the new "Charger", we have a German owned company trying to sell their product design and style anyway they can to the American public.   Their marketing department is trying to take advantage of the resurgence of the classic and muscle car market with its name and memories and make that fit into what they think will sell the most cars to the widest spectrum of customers.

I lived through the Muscle car era - bought and owned a 1968 R/T in 1968 when I was 21 years old.   Personally, it is offensive to me to have some foreign company trying to sell me something that they know nothing about and trying to hoist it off onto the American public as some tradition that they have stayed true to.   If this company were in the business of selling pigs and they thought by calling their pigs "Ducks" so it would sell more pigs - they would do it!!

Whole hearted :iagree:ly
70charginglizard

Spartan

I am not a Ford person by any means.  Matter of fact, in the 80's when I was cruising with my Charger muscle car, I used to laugh at some of the Mustang people who drove those god awful 70's versions of their "classic" trying to pass them off as hot rods.... 20 years later it seems roles have reversed.  Ford has put out (in my opinion) the nicest looking retro "muscle car" vehicle I have seen.  My hope was DCX had started the trend with the Charger concept a few years ago that really got me excited.  It had some of the classic lines of our cars, the headlights and (even with four doors) looked pretty damn good.  The program turned south when the came out with the design they did.  It did not carry the classic lines and retro look they originally teased us with.  Even at the auto show this year, DCX spent more time defending it then promoting it.  The biggest dissapointment for me was the "false advertising" from concept to production they did.  It is a 300 with a Magnum front end on it.  Under a different name, we probably wouldn't be as hard on it.  The looks are ok, but not as a Charger; the 4 doors we might snicker at a bit on a "HP" car but think it was ok, but not on a charger;  the font end might not be the best looking thing in the world, but for sure its not for a charger.  Under any other name we would probably be ok with it, but its not a Charger.

If people buy the 06 because they want to, more power to them, I'm not going to snub them for it, its just not a car that I like.  If they want to talk to me about mine, I will treat them like everyone else who likes to talk about old cars.  For me, the 06 is an ok car on its own merits, like someone said earlier, the looks have grown on me, but its not something I would go out and get.  I am not a 4 door sedan person.

Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Blakcharger440

One thing alot of people need to understand....They are not marketing the "charger" for the muscle car type of buyer. THey are marketing it toward the wrinkle free, docker wearing, family clones who would buy it because it has 4drs and can talk about how cooooool it is to his buddies at the water cooler, but not at the drag strip as those days are long gone for Mopar and they aint comin back!

69bananabeast

Quote from: 360cuda on October 16, 2005, 11:49:28 AM
God, I hope they don't butcher that name as well!  :'(

Cuda Ken

They already did

Think he meant Road Runneer  ;)
1969 Charger  446
1970 Charger  318
1932 Ford Rat Rod   (under construction)

BigBlackDodge

God, I hope they don't butcher that name as well!   :'(

Cuda Ken

Well..................to quote you from another thread..............if the new RR's did all this better than the old ones...

1 0-60 MPH

2 Quater Mile ET's

3 MPG

4 Road Cores

5 Better Ride

6 Hold More People with Comfort

7 More Trunk Room

If it did all that...........had four doors.............ugly as hell.............................you'd like it then, right????

Why is it not okay to 'butcher' the Roadrunner name and it be fine to butcher the Charger name?

Maybe, perhaps......that they're people here that feel the same way about DCX's 'butchering' the Charger name.

BBD

TheGhost

I believe what he is getting at is that he, like many other people, is tired of all the bitching about the new car.  Face it, guys.  The only problem you have with it is the name.  If it wasn't named Charger, you would all be saying how good this car is, except for the looks department.  Instead, everyone gets hung up on 7 little letters, and stays blind to the car itself. :eyes:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Ghost on October 16, 2005, 04:39:47 PM
I believe what he is getting at is that he, like many other people, is tired of all the bitching about the new car.   Face it, guys.   The only problem you have with it is the name.   If it wasn't named Charger, you would all be saying how good this car is, except for the looks department.   Instead, everyone gets hung up on 7 little letters, and stays blind to the car itself. :eyes:

If it wasn't named Charger we wouldn't be talking about it at all......period..........no more than we discuss the Stratus or Neons on a 'Charger' board. But it was named Charger and we should all be able to talk about it good or bad, weather you like it or not.

The thing that bothers me the most is when people who like the car tell the ones that don't to 'shut up' and buy Chevys and calling 06' haters dicks.............whatever. ::) And they tell us to 'grow up'.......... ???

I'm not fond of the '06. obviously. But I've never resorted to making personal comments about posters who do!

BBD
Proud 'Hater' of the '06 Charger. ;D

ChargerBill

I can't stand the car...Charmagnums bite.

BTW: These threads need to stop...this site is about OLD iron...REAL Muscle cars....TRUE Chargers. We need to stop starting ANY thread regarding the '06 Creeder, I don't want to encourage those owners to come here looking for advice or discussion about a plastic pukemobile.
Life is a highway...