News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PPG windshield install

Started by charger2fast4u, May 18, 2008, 01:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger2fast4u

i got a PPG windshield installed in my 68 charger and used a year one gasket. now my windshield leaks how would i fix the problem with  the PPG windshield does PPG or anyone make a gasket for the thinner windshield? would like to find out this is all i need to figure out so i can get my project rolling again.

69*F5*SE

UFO

I think it was discussed on here before.
I'm thinking you unzip the weatherstrip,run a bead of sealer around them rezip.

471_Magnum

Who installed the glass?

Remove the bright trim. Unlock the gasket, then shoot a bead of butyl glass sealant into the gasket.

Relock it, reinstall trim and go.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Hemidog

charger2fast4u

thats a good thread with lots of information. but i'm wanting to know if they have a gasket made for the thinner PPG windshield? so i can buy that and install it. also pumping in Liquid urethane sounds like it will come out sloppy looking once your done and look at it or am i wrong? also who all sells the rear glass for a 68 charger?

bill440rt

They don't make a special gasket for the thinner windshields that I'm aware of. It's either original Chrysler, or those Precision repros.

I see two options for you:

1) Replace the windshield with a thicker one. You'll need another new gasket to do it right.

2) Have a glass installer pump liquid urethane around the edges inside your gasket like other member's here have suggested. The installer did that on mine as well, even with the thicker windshield. Yes, it oozes out. Yes, it's messy. But, it's gets cleaned off. Once completed, looking at the windshield you can't even tell it was done.

Personally, I'd go for option #2 if you want to save some $$$.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

charger2fast4u

looks like i might have to go with the Liquid urethane on it. as long as it cleans up good i'm fine with that . does anyone know where to get a rear window for my 68 charger?

suntech

Another question: What is the original thickness, and what is the thikness on repros?? (Front, sides and rear)
www.psautoglass.com   sells all the glasses, but i have no idea about quality.  XV motorsports has everything but windshield.
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

charger2fast4u

bought my last rear window from PS auto glass quality wasn't that great. i got the glass and put it in and you could see a rainbow effect on the glass. i thought it was just oils on it but i cleaned it and it was still there. also it had circle patterns all over the size of nickles not sure what that was all about but didn't ever see another window with them on.

john108

"pump liquid urethane around the edges inside your gasket "  Do you pump the urethane between the glass and gasket and/or thr gasket and frame also?