News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rare yet not rare?

Started by Drache, May 23, 2008, 07:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WingCharger

Quote from: Drache on August 31, 2008, 10:33:26 AM
Quote from: WingCharger on August 31, 2008, 09:54:59 AM
The guy just lowered the price of the 76 volare RoadRunner to one grand! :drool5:

How should I convince my dad to drive me to look at it? He will probably say the slant six isnt worth buying. :brickwall:

Easy, the /6 isn't WORTH it but the car itself is. If it's running and driving the car is worth the money! Drive the car as is while building up a 360 (easy to find, cheap, all you need, and they came with 360's anyways so finding the parts to convert the car to V8 wouldnt be too hard) or even a 318 as Ive seen a couple really hot build ones out there. Since it's a /6 it will have a 904 tranny in it (if it's auto). If thats the case I would suggest changing to the 727 as they have been proven to be a little stronger I was told. From there you can pick up a good suregrip rear end at somepoint and you're good to go!

Aspens/Volares are nice because you can ratrod them any way you like! They aren't worth as much as Chargers and Roadrunners but they don't cost as much to work on either unless you go crazy!

So as long as the only rust is BODY rust (and hopefully not allot), no frame rust, and at least running (preferably driving as well) then yeah it's a good deal. If your dad isn't sure just show him my little F-body, with a smallblock V8 Im just at the 300hp mark and I can smoke the tires on it.

I was thinking that if I buy the Volare, I would keep the /6 and trany, and actually drive it daily, until I find a truck. I would have to put a very heavy undercoat on, and I would do some frame work to make it a better vehicle, and not rust so bad. Clifford Performance makes so many performance parts for the 225 /6, you can make them quick for not much coin.
The Volare has a T-top too. I didnt know they made those.

Drache

Yeah you can always keep the /6 in it, good for gas! T-tops or a Sunroof was the only thing I wish my car had! If you do but it look for a set of rear window louvers like on mine, gives it just that much better of a look  :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

WingCharger

Quote from: Drache on August 31, 2008, 02:51:32 PM
Yeah you can always keep the /6 in it, good for gas! T-tops or a Sunroof was the only thing I wish my car had! If you do but it look for a set of rear window louvers like on mine, gives it just that much better of a look  :icon_smile_big:

I hav been surfing for parts, and I came across a couple of places.
racepages.com has some, but not many parts
www.autorust.com has the Sate-T-Cap for frame rails, but I dont know if I should trust these

ButI cant find floor pans, or any other sheetmetal! Or the real window louvers. Know where I could find these?

Drache

Quote from: WingCharger on August 31, 2008, 03:28:59 PM
ButI cant find floor pans, or any other sheetmetal! Or the real window louvers. Know where I could find these?

Welcome to the wonderful of the RARE YET NOT RARE F-body! For any sheet metal your only option that I've found so far is a parts car plain and simple. For parts such as window louvers, interior parts, or other random parts, ebay is your best friend on the subject.

I was lucky enough to buy a car that had all the rust issues supposedly taken care of!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

68rt

Quote from: WingCharger on August 31, 2008, 03:28:59 PM
Quote from: Drache on August 31, 2008, 02:51:32 PM

I hav been surfing for parts, and I came across a couple of places.
racepages.com has some, but not many parts
www.autorust.com has the Sate-T-Cap for frame rails, but I dont know if I should trust these

OK I DONT GET THIS IS THE CAR THAT RUSTY YOU NEED TO LOOK AT FRAME CAPS I NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS CAR GO LOOK AT AND GIT PICS TELL ME WHAT YOU SEE OR I WILL RELL YOU WHAT TO LOOK FORE TTOP ARE RARE AND NO THE 6CYL STUFF IS NOT CHEAP 4 4BBL WILL NOT HELP THAT SIX

WingCharger

I am going to tell my dad that the vehicles arent family cars (as he strongly believes), and the slant six isnt as bad as he thinks. He just thinks that I am going to find a running rust free mopar in my price range. :brickwall:

There is no way I will, but he has something against project cars. :shruggy:
He is working for the next week, so the next time he gets off, I am going to try to get him to take me to look at it. I might be able to get it for $900?

WingCharger

Okay, I emailed the guy about the rust condition. He says that the floor pans are patched, and not rusty. But then he says the frame rails are rusty, but not rotten. I am definantly try to convince my dad to take me to look at it. I think it would be worth it!

Drache

Ok I got an email from the original owner who bought my Aspen new and sold it to the guy who sold it to me. He told me that it was a '76 Aspen R/T and that it originally came in a two tone paint although he can't remember the exact colors. So now I need to convert the front end and the taillights BACK to Aspen status (they were trying to clone a Volare Roadrunner).  :-\

now the rear window louvers.... I have seen some with the same as mine (which I thought were for the volare) and I have seen different ones. I was given a picture of a 1976 Aspen R/T that was just bought off the lot and it had the louvers like mine. Can anyone clear this?  :shruggy:

Also, what work would I need to do to convert the tail lights back to the Aspen type since they appear to be a different shape?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

Ok am I losing my mind?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/76-77-MoPar-Plymouth-Dodge-Volare-Aspen-REAR-SPOILER_W0QQitemZ110293809925QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110293809925&_trkparms=72%3A792|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

$520+ for the rear spoiler for an Aspen?  :o

I've seen whole parts cars down in the States go for that including the rear spoiler! Sadly, Canadian Aspens are few and far between....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire