News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rare yet not rare?

Started by Drache, May 23, 2008, 07:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

Quote from: adauto on August 04, 2008, 08:36:00 AM
Personally speaking , most of the around these parts (SE Wi) went to the shredder.  Seems like they were rusty by the time they were 3 years old. I'm sure we did dozens back in the day. Unfortunate , but true....  :yesnod:

Especially the '76 line! They had a very bad "bug" and were actually recalled because they rusted out within the first 6 months! Sad part is that's what makes these cars really rare, especially in Canada, especially for coupes with the 360! Personally I don't think they get the notice they deserve... everyone remembers the darts right up to 1975 and then no one knows that it was the aspen that took over. These cars to me were the last link to "muscle" of the 70's! Mine came stock with a suregrip and 360 combo and so with a little work to the engine it become muslce in the time when everyone was worried about fuel emissions and gas prices and so 4 and 6 cyl's took over. At least thats how I feel. Sad part is even with them being so hard to find, they are worth practically nothing except as a "hotrod"....

Quote from: TUFCAT on August 04, 2008, 09:56:25 AM

The BEST part of this thread is the BEAUTIFUL HOTTIE standing next to the Super Coupe   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

...and yes, I would hit that!!!  (wifey probably wouldn't be so understanding)  :icon_smile_blackeye:    Is it just me,  or does it look like her dress is ready to fall down?  :cheers:

Actually that's probably why she has her arms crossed!

Can anyone tell me what was different between the Super Coupes, R/T's, and just a plain Aspen Coupe? All Engine sizes and rear ends could be ordered in the plain Aspens so besides exterior looks, what was there?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

Drache, I was working for a Dodge dealer after school in the late 70's and I remember them being in the shop all the time.  They just were not a huge success from a quality standpoint so it doesn't surprise me that there aren't more around.  I remember them getting a mechanic to come out to the truck and do a quickie inspection before they would even accept delivery of them when they were at their worst.  When I was selling cars in the early 80's, the F-body Mopars had no resale whatsoever.
It's too bad because the concept was great but when you look at everything else that was going on at Chrysler at the time I guess it shouldn't be a shock.
As for the difference between the three versions, I think it is all just appearance items.

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on August 04, 2008, 11:52:35 PM
Drache, I was working for a Dodge dealer after school in the late 70's and I remember them being in the shop all the time.  They just were not a huge success from a quality standpoint so it doesn't surprise me that there aren't more around.  I remember them getting a mechanic to come out to the truck and do a quickie inspection before they would even accept delivery of them when they were at their worst.  When I was selling cars in the early 80's, the F-body Mopars had no resale whatsoever.
It's too bad because the concept was great but when you look at everything else that was going on at Chrysler at the time I guess it shouldn't be a shock.
As for the difference between the three versions, I think it is all just appearance items.

It is sad that they became rare due to faults in design....

Even now people ask me if it's a Dart and when I say an Aspen they look at me as if they never heard of it. Out of probably the 100 people that asked only 2 knew it was an Aspen.

In reality it is just a Dart... if it was 6 years older it would be desirable.....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2008, 12:18:03 AM
Their day may yet come.

There is one in a city nor far from here where the highschool kid spent TONNES of money restoring it to the way he wanted. All new body work, fresh paint, fresh interior, fresh engine work. Last I heard he had about $15,000 into this car. He listed it for $5000 and didn't even get a single person come look at it. I listed mine for $1500 CDN and the only person I had interested lived in the next province over and wanted me to drive it to him on MY dime!  ::)

As they are the coupes are "playground" musclecars. Not good enough to be worth as much nor play with their big cousins from the '70s but good enough for kids to play "muscle" with....

Granted I have yet to see one with a 360 under the hood anywhere across Canada... it's always been the 318 or 6cyl....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

Really?  There used to be a few 360 ones around town here but I'm a long long way from BC.

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2008, 12:37:50 AM
Really?  There used to be a few 360 ones around town here but I'm a long long way from BC.

Of course I was only looking at Aspens/Volares for sale, which are few and far between, 99.9% are four doors and Wagons....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Drache on August 04, 2008, 11:23:51 AM

Can anyone tell me what was different between the Super Coupes, R/T's, and just a plain Aspen Coupe? All Engine sizes and rear ends could be ordered in the plain Aspens so besides exterior looks, what was there?

The coupe was just the standard two door body style. The Super Coupes were a one year only (1978) option package and the R/Ts were the 'performace' version of the coupes with the paint and stripe kits as well as the window louvers and spoiler package.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

So drivetrain was the same availability throughout?  They were all just different decor groups?

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2008, 01:04:30 AM
So drivetrain was the same availability throughout?  They were all just different decor groups?

Seems like it since the 360 could be ordered in the plain models....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Magnumcharger

A couple of cool F bodies for you to drool over.
The brown one is an actual 360 E-58 Aspen, still owned by the original owner (I went to High-School with him), and believe it or not, that's factory original paint.
The other is a much modified Roadrunner....with a shaker hood.
Both were at the Atlantic Nationals in Moncton, New Brunswick last month.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Drache

I would buy an Aspen R/T in a heart beat if one ever came up for sale around here for a decent price and in decent shape! And before anyone says there is no such then, I bought my rust free Aspen for $1200  and I bet in the US that would have been too much :icon_smile_big:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2008, 01:04:30 AM
Drivetrains were the same. The performance versions did some with beefier suspensions.

Drache

Well I had to move the Aspen to start getting it ready for it's winter slumber! The car needed a jump and a tire inflated but once the car started and that rumbling sound drowned out all other sounds (including the barking dog next door) it brought a smile on my face! I am so going to miss this car over the winter!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

68rt

i aslo have 1980 volare custom wagon i like it today

Drache

Was the Aspen/Volare the only car available in Coupe, 4 door, AND Wagon?  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Harlow

I don't think so. I know the belvedere line up had a 4 door, coupe and wagon available.

WingCharger

There is a 1979 Plymouth Volare Sedan with very little rust for $1300obo near me. I am thinkin of buying it.

Drache

Quote from: Harlow on August 30, 2008, 08:20:31 PM
I don't think so. I know the belvedere line up had a 4 door, coupe and wagon available.

Ah yes how silly of me!  :slap:

Quote from: WingCharger on August 30, 2008, 08:22:18 PM
There is a 1979 Plymouth Volare Sedan with very little rust for $1300obo near me. I am thinkin of buying it.

Personally that is too much for a Volare Sedan. If you're going to pick up an Aspen/Volare Id stick with the coupes (more musclecar-ish) unless you find a Sedan with the Cop package!
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

68rt

very little rust  :smilielol:

Drache

Quote from: 68rt on August 30, 2008, 08:25:42 PM
very little rust  :smilielol:

LOL! F-bodies either have NO rust or allot or rust!  :rofl:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

WingCharger

Says the only rust is bottom of quarter panel passenger side. There is also a 1976 Volare Road Runner for $1400. Slant six auto on floor. It is too far for my dad to drive, columbus. He really says these cars arent worth hot rodding, because they were family cars. Think the Volare RR is worth $1400? If I got, big block here i come.

68rt

the rr is worth 1400 but check the driver side front frame rail and around the a arms for rust and holes

WingCharger

The guy just lowered the price of the 76 volare RoadRunner to one grand! :drool5:

How should I convince my dad to drive me to look at it? He will probably say the slant six isnt worth buying. :brickwall:

Drache

Quote from: WingCharger on August 31, 2008, 09:54:59 AM
The guy just lowered the price of the 76 volare RoadRunner to one grand! :drool5:

How should I convince my dad to drive me to look at it? He will probably say the slant six isnt worth buying. :brickwall:

Easy, the /6 isn't WORTH it but the car itself is. If it's running and driving the car is worth the money! Drive the car as is while building up a 360 (easy to find, cheap, all you need, and they came with 360's anyways so finding the parts to convert the car to V8 wouldnt be too hard) or even a 318 as Ive seen a couple really hot build ones out there. Since it's a /6 it will have a 904 tranny in it (if it's auto). If thats the case I would suggest changing to the 727 as they have been proven to be a little stronger I was told. From there you can pick up a good suregrip rear end at somepoint and you're good to go!

Aspens/Volares are nice because you can ratrod them any way you like! They aren't worth as much as Chargers and Roadrunners but they don't cost as much to work on either unless you go crazy!

So as long as the only rust is BODY rust (and hopefully not allot), no frame rust, and at least running (preferably driving as well) then yeah it's a good deal. If your dad isn't sure just show him my little F-body, with a smallblock V8 Im just at the 300hp mark and I can smoke the tires on it.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire