News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rare yet not rare?

Started by Drache, May 23, 2008, 07:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drache

I was having a discussion with a few guys about Aspens and Volares after seeing my car and about how rare yet not rare these cars are. The discussion came about after me trying to explain how hard it was to find parts for these cars let alone another one even though 189,900 of these were made (aspens alone).

1976 Aspen:
Coupes - 61,917
Sedans - 63,936
Wagons - 64,047

Total - 189,900

1976 Volare:
Coupes - 85,289
Sedans - 85,031
Wagons - 84,688

Total - 255,008

I was told Canada never made any Aspens/Volares and that all of them were imported and how many no one seems to know for certain. Anyways that is a total of 147,206 Coupes that were made for just that year alone! What I can't seem to understand is why these things are so hard to find at all, let alone just a coupe. I've searched Craigslist (Across Canada and Washington State), Kijiji, and Ebay and it seems that these cars are as rare as Hen's teeth at least up here in the great white north.

I did happen to find one in my home town but its a 1980, baseline model, was in a front end collision with a truck, has a 6cyl, and the interior is totally missing. The owner wants $600 for it but its pretty much useless to me especially for that price. Ebay at least offers some parts although 99% of the parts being in the states the shipping would be severe on things like interior pieces which I need the most. And even Ebay only had one or two whole cars and once again they are in the states.

Cars-on-line.com lists only a single Aspen in Nevada and not a single Volare.

I guess my big question is where did allot of these cars go when from 1976-1980 there were almost 530,000 Coupes made....

It gets me a little worried driving my car around. I was told by one guy who owned a '78 that he when he wrecked the front end of his, he couldnt find the parts to fix it and the entire car was taken and crushed. Is this the fate for 90% of these Cars in Canada?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Drache on May 23, 2008, 07:21:01 PM
What I can't seem to understand is why these things are so hard to find at all, let alone just a coupe.

I guess my big question is where did allot of these cars go when from 1976-1980 there were almost 530,000 Coupes made....

The earliest ones were poorly designed and rusted within a couple of years. They were prone to problems, were generally not good cars and had very bad resale value due to a, deserved, bad reputation. They were utiliarian; made for just basic transportation so they were used, abused and driven hard. Most were probably junked/crushed within 10-12 years.

They were a huge disapointment to Chrysler and the public as a replacement for the successful Dart/Valiant line ups.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

bull

They were throw-away cars that will never attain the sort of following classic cars have, that's why they are hard to find and hard to find parts for (little interest). The only way you might have a collectible Aspen or Volarie is by letting a pristine one with 20k original miles sit in the garage until 2030 and then sell it on Ebay, but that can be said about virtually any car.

Drache

I dont want a collectible aspen, I just want to be able to get my hands on parts. In Spokane, there are couple cars in the same shape mine are selling in the $2000-3600 range and it greatly saddens me. Aspens are great little cars and even though they screwed up with them in the 70's, now they can easily become great little muscle cars.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TruckDriver

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 23, 2008, 07:37:32 PM
What I can't seem to understand is why these things are so hard to find at all, let alone just a coupe.

The earliest ones were poorly designed and rusted within a couple of years. They were prone to problems, were generally not good cars and had very bad resale value due to a, deserved, bad reputation.

They were a huge disapointment to Chrysler and the public as a replacement for the successful Dart/Valiant line ups.
:iagree:

The front fenders were re-called in the second year of production if I remember right. They simply rusted through the top side that fast.

Quote from: Drache on May 23, 2008, 07:49:56 PM
I just want to be able to get my hands on parts. In Spokane, there are couple cars in the same shape mine are selling in the $2000-3600 range and it greatly saddens me. Aspens are great little cars and even though they screwed up with them in the 70's, now they can easily become great little muscle cars.
Again,  :iagree:

I have known a few that had big block transplants. And, it's to bad in this case that your in Canada. I know few places where I can get parts around me. There also used to be a place in Slidell, La. that made some reproduction parts, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name anymore :-\
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69CoronetRT

I like the F body style and they do lend themselves to upgrades but you asked what happened to them...in general they were lousy cars and few survived. They rusted far too easily and quickly. They have a bad reputation among those old enough to remember them (I had a '77 Aspen....electronics were crap.) and as Bull said they are not widely desireable for those reasons and most were crushed during the 80's and 90's
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Drache

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on May 23, 2008, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 23, 2008, 07:37:32 PM

The earliest ones were poorly designed and rusted within a couple of years. They were prone to problems, were generally not good cars and had very bad resale value due to a, deserved, bad reputation.

:iagree:

The front fenders were re-called in the second year of production if I remember right. They simply rusted through the top side that fast.

Quote from: Drache on May 23, 2008, 07:49:56 PM
I just want to be able to get my hands on parts. In Spokane, there are couple cars in the same shape mine are selling in the $2000-3600 range and it greatly saddens me. Aspens are great little cars and even though they screwed up with them in the 70's, now they can easily become great little muscle cars.
Again,  :iagree:

I have known a few that had big block transplants. And, it's to bad in this case that your in Canada. I know few places where I can get parts around me. There also used to be a place in Slidell, La. that made some reproduction parts, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name anymore :-\

Yeah it was the '76 Aspens that had that problem and they were recalled. The 360 is stock in my car so says the VIN which is supposedly only an option for R/T's from what I read. Can anyone else prove or disprove this please?
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TruckDriver

The 360 (E58) was put in cop cars, Super Coupes, the kit cars, and optional for the R/T with a the automatic tranny. BUT, I have seen a S.E. with a factory 360 as well.
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Drache

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on May 23, 2008, 08:46:46 PM
The 360 (E58) was put in cop cars, Super Coupes, the kit cars, and optional for the R/T with a the automatic tranny. BUT, I have seen a S.E. with a factory 360 as well.

And sadly my fender tag is missing so I have no idea which of those my car might have been....  :brickwall:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

bordin34

I know of where six aspens/volares are within 15 minutes of me in PA, one that is driven to church every Sunday, and one in a junkyard.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

TruckDriver

You ever see this web site Kyle?

http://www.moparautos.com/index.htm

Check out the Aspen/Volare pages.
PETE

Drache

Quote from: Wi. Charger Guy on May 23, 2008, 09:47:01 PM
You ever see this web site Kyle?

http://www.moparautos.com/index.htm

Check out the Aspen/Volare pages.

Thats a good page! I usually check out allpar too for specific info. Nowhere can I find info though on how many were imported into Canada though.  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Drache on May 23, 2008, 08:36:13 PM
Can anyone else prove or disprove this please?

I'm not sure what year we're talking about but according to the 77 Dodge data book, the 360-4 was available only in coupes but it was not limited to the R/Ts.

Drache

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 23, 2008, 10:08:48 PM
Can anyone else prove or disprove this please?

I'm not sure what year we're talking about but according to the 77 Dodge data book, the 360-4 was available only in coupes but it was not limited to the R/Ts.

1976  :icon_smile_big:

QuoteThe 1976 360 engine was available with the bulletproof 727 transmission. The performance R/T package came only on the coupe and featured a 318 in³ V8 standard or an optional 360 in³ V8 with either a two- or four-barrel carburetor.

Other places Ive read state the 4bbl wasnt available in '76 and only '77...  :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69CoronetRT

Yeah it was the '76 Aspens that had that problem and they were recalled. The 360 is stock in my car so says the VIN which is supposedly only an option for R/T's from what I read. Can anyone else prove or disprove this please?

OK so are we talking J,K or L VIN?

Drache

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 23, 2008, 10:46:29 PM

NH29K6B******

The car is supposed to be a 360-2, the 4bbl manifold has a date stamp of '79....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Drache on May 23, 2008, 11:10:32 PM
Quote from: 69CoronetRT on May 23, 2008, 10:46:29 PM

NH29K6B******

The car is supposed to be a 360-2, the 4bbl manifold has a date stamp of '79....

So we're talking K code 360-2bbl which is E57. Based on the 76 Plymouth data, the 360 was available across the line. I doubt Dodge was different but don't have that particular data book.

TruckDriver

If you can find a old copy of Mopar Collectors Guide from May of 1992, get one. They featured Aspens and Volares, and everything you wanna know about them. I still have my issue. I looked in there, and the name of the place that I was trying to think of, that used to make restoration parts for those cars, is/was called R.C Auto Products out of Metairie la., phone was 504-888-6051. I say was, because I'm guessing when hurricane Katrina hit, they were take out being they were right on the coast. But maybe they have rebuilt :shruggy:
PETE

TruckDriver

The 360 is stock in my car so says the VIN which is supposedly only an option for R/T's from what I read. Can anyone else prove or disprove this please?

In 1976, the 170hp 360 2bbl was the only engine option. But the other option included the automatic transmission. Dodge didn't even offer the spoiler kit for the R/T in '76. I got this right out of the magazine.
PETE

Drache

Ok this damn near made me shit a brick... 1976-1979 Dodge Aspen shop manual, two used $221.69 and $537.20 EACH!

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/0892873116/ref=dp_olp_2/702-0099944-1691214

I did find this though, anyone know if it would be any good/helpful?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190223629788&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

TruckDriver

Get the Ebay book. I still have mine in case I get another Aspen.
PETE

Drache

Well the insurance is off the Aspen, gas his $1.50/L here and I decided that my $100 a month insurance wasn't worth driving the car only on the weekends. I did have allot of fun in the car and it drew allot of looks! The last twp pics Ive taken of the car are the two in my signature.  I've decided to keep going the "ratrod/hotrod" route and not go for restoring the car instead just as something to have fun with on the streets.

Over the winter Im hoping to change the interior color to black by paint/dying since the white just doesn't want to come clean. Trying to coax more horsepower out of the car without spending hundreds of dollars and having to rebuild it has come up bust. I was thinking of buying another 360 (they can be had locally for $400) and building one for horsepower while still being able to drive this one.

Like I said in another thread I have a line on a 360 out of a Challenger that a friend of my father's had many years ago. Seems he spent $20,000 on the engine only to total the Challenger before 5000km were on the engine. The engine was pulled and has sat for the past 10 years or so. The guy who owns is used to build racing engines and has taken very good care of this engine always wanting something to put it in. Anyways he wants $10,000 for the engine but I can't go that route. If I had that much money I'd just go buy a charger lol.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

adauto

Personally speaking , most of the around these parts (SE Wi) went to the shredder.  Seems like they were rusty by the time they were 3 years old. I'm sure we did dozens back in the day. Unfortunate , but true....  :yesnod:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

nh_mopar_fan

I might be misremembering but I am pretty sure my 77 Roadrunner was a Canadian built car.

TUFCAT

Forget all this F-body production number chatter.....  :D

The BEST part of this thread is the BEAUTIFUL HOTTIE standing next to the Super Coupe   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

...and yes, I would hit that!!!  (wifey probably wouldn't be so understanding)  :icon_smile_blackeye:    Is it just me,  or does it look like her dress is ready to fall down?  :cheers: