News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting my grille-I have a run HELP!!

Started by sixpack_sid, August 22, 2011, 07:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I'm painting my 68 grille with SEM Light Titanium Metallic and I got a run in the corner. :flame: I also forgot to use the Plastic prep in my haste so in that same corner I have some of the paint not adhering to the plastic.  :brickwall:  Can I sand the paint down, use the plastic prep and repaint? I also noticed that one side of the grill was faded a lot more than the center and now when I painted it, the grill is not an even color. If I sand down all the way across the grill, could I paint it again and have it match, or do I need a primer?
Thanks!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

twodko

All is not lost, easy fix.........well it's a little work. :yesnod: I used the same materials you're using and had a similar issue. The run needs to be sanded out......carefully. Then sand the whole grille again, when you're happy with it spray the prep on it. When it's dry give the whole thing a light even coat of paint. When thats dry hit it with some 400 grit wet/dry and shoot the finish coat. Do these things and your grille and skills are going to look great!  :cheers:

I also shot two coats of satin clear to finish it.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

sixpack_sid

Thanks for the reply! I will try that and let you know how it turns out!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

twodko

You can do it Sid, I have faith in you  :cheers:

sixpack_sid

Quote from: twodko on August 24, 2011, 03:21:54 PM
You can do it Sid, I have faith in you  :cheers:
LOL!!  :laugh:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! :2thumbs: I can't get to it until the weekend, but I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll post pics as well.

Canadian1968

Just a note.

Make sure you remove the run COMPLETLY !!! If you can even feel the slightest ripple where the run was, it WILL show up when you paint it again.   It sounds like you will need to repaint the entire piece so take it down to your original surface, and feather out nice with the correct grit paper. The inconsistency in your colour could be numerous things, but since you already have sprayed it once the materail on their should act a primer and should cover well with your next attempt.   

sixpack_sid

Got the run out it looks good. Now waiting few days to paint the black.

Thanks
Sid

twodko

You da man! Pictures when it's done.........it's the law!  :smilielol: