News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charging system Troubles.....needle shakes but in the positive

Started by Charger-Bodie, May 22, 2008, 09:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

charging gauge shakes. Its charging and the needle stays in the positive part of the gauge but it shakes and wiggles at random. I put in a new alternator and regulator still the same problem. .....single field alt. and repro regulator with electronic inards.

Any thoughts??
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mikepmcs

Brian,
My thoughts are this.  Does the needle shake like it's worn and loose or is there a positive deflection like something is driving it?(if that makes sense)
My guess would be a bad connection or maybe a wire breaking down or worn.  Is it possible to grab a spare(aftermarket) amp gauge and see what it is doing with that one to narrow the issue.
My .02 just to get the ball rolling.
What does the battery read across the terminals with the car running?
How about that little 5 volt regulator in the instrument cluster thingy(just throwing that one out there) :shruggy:
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.  The needle acts like something is driving it.

Its almost like something is grounding out momentarily.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

mikepmcs

Back to my worn(broken down) wire theory then.  Momentary short/ground out etc.....
Does the amp gauge do it while the car is standing still at idle or is this a driving issue.(ie: vibration worsens the problem)

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Charger-Bodie

sitting still or moving. sure cant find any bad wires. :brickwall:

mikepmcs

Ok, back to my external(spare) amp gauge suggestion to narrow,  do you have that resource?

That is where I would start.  Don't piggy back though. Run some clean lines and ground.

v/r
Mike

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: mikepmcs on May 22, 2008, 10:00:14 PM
Ok, back to my external(spare) amp gauge suggestion to narrow,  do you have that resource?

That is where I would start.  Don't piggy back though. Run some clean lines and grounds.

v/r
Mike

Ill give that a try tommorow night.

1969chargerrtse

:o   Wow, I don't think I've ever seen you ask a question?  You're the one we normally run to.  :shruggy: Man that was weird.  Don't ever do that again.  :slap:   :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Charger-Bodie

I "Think" I may have figured it out.  :shruggy: I think the ignition switch may be going south. If I wiggle the key I can make it rhythmically happen. Ill post up when i try another switch.  :yesnod:

PS sorry to let you down Rob But I will NEVER claim to know everything ........Every time you learn something is a blessing.  :angel:

mikepmcs

I would've never thought of the ignition switch causing this issue other than, it might have a bunk wire in it somewhere rubbing raw, etc...
I have to say, i've depended on Brian, as well as, a myriad of others on this site.  My Charger wouldn't be what it is today(ok, what it will be again very soon) without you guys and gals!
No shame in not knowing everything. I know nothing but if I ever can even get someone in the ballpark, I'm a happy contributor. (although Brian figured this one out on his own)
Glad you may have found it out brother.  No one likes a gremlin that can't be located. :2thumbs:

v/r
Mike

Charger-Bodie

OK I put in a used switch I had lying around and Viola its not doing it any more  :yesnod: I ordered a new one and will install it as soon as it gets here. 

Thanks Guys!!!  :2thumbs:

mikepmcs

Like you said ........Every time you learn something is a blessing

I just did, thanks ! :2thumbs:

v/r
Mike

Charger-Bodie

Im guessing either something was intermitantly shorting inside of the switch or it was loosing connection ,either in the switch or possibly even at the plug-in.  :Twocents:

1969chargerrtse

Interesting result.  I was coming home tonight from a ride and every once and a while I would see the same thing, something to keep an eye out for.  I took my daughter to a book store and I noticed the alt reading negative.  Seems the voltage regulator from AZ died .  I was lucky to get it home and put back on the original one and it works fine.  My American made 40 year old part works fine, but the new part failed.  Who woulda thought.  :shruggy:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.