News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rolling Thunder's Charger Restoration Thread *PICS* *UPDATE!*

Started by Rolling_Thunder, May 21, 2008, 02:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar73

sweet :2thumbs: were you able to make the stock harness work also?  The goal for me is to make a servicable system without going broke doing it and the aftermarket controllers are a pile of money for what you get.

Rolling_Thunder

Yep - the stock Mopar wiring harness can be modified to work...    honestly it is just removing all the crap you do not need....      I have a complete harness set for a 5.7L Hemi - I'll be able to make this all work pretty easily - it just takes time.   :2thumbs:     

The aftermarket harnesses art $1000+ for use with the stock PCM....     I can not justify that much $$$ when I can make it myself...   I am still in the midst of doing this but rest assured once this car is done I will give VERY DETAILED schematics, Diagrams, and photos....     Price list and all that jazz as well....       I am just trying not to bore you guys at the moment with thousands of photos...     but rest assured when everything is finalized it will happen.   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

PocketThunder

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 20, 2009, 12:14:10 PM
Yep - the stock Mopar wiring harness can be modified to work...    honestly it is just removing all the crap you do not need....      I have a complete harness set for a 5.7L Hemi - I'll be able to make this all work pretty easily - it just takes time.   :2thumbs:     

The aftermarket harnesses art $1000+ for use with the stock PCM....     I can not justify that much $$$ when I can make it myself...   I am still in the midst of doing this but rest assured once this car is done I will give VERY DETAILED schematics, Diagrams, and photos....     Price list and all that jazz as well....       I am just trying not to bore you guys at the moment with thousands of photos...     but rest assured when everything is finalized it will happen.   :2thumbs:

Thank you for doing all this leg work for the rest of us out here that want to do something similar.  Maybe you could write a book on it and sell them.   :shruggy:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: PocketThunder on May 20, 2009, 12:40:53 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 20, 2009, 12:14:10 PM

Thank you for doing all this leg work for the rest of us out here that want to do something similar.  Maybe you could write a book on it and sell them.   :shruggy:

Nah Screw that...   just send me your cars and some $$$    hahaha    :rofl:

mopar73

again, thanks for all your ground breaking legwork for the rest of us :2thumbs: :2thumbs: I'll be waiting in anticipation for the end result. :popcrn: :popcrn:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: mopar73 on May 20, 2009, 02:08:55 PM
again, thanks for all your ground breaking legwork for the rest of us :2thumbs: :2thumbs: I'll be waiting in anticipation for the end result. :popcrn: :popcrn:

Well I want to remind all you out there that it is not just me...   Pete (Autodynamics) has helped me with a bit information wise and is a great resource as well...    I think he deserves some recognition as well...     He and I have just taken slightly different paths     :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Well guys - another update...     not much has been going on with the Charger...    June is going to be a busy week for me as it had my Birthday, the GFs Birthday, a trip to Palm Springs, a Trip to Texas to see my buddy before he deploys for a 6th time, a trip to AZ to visit my best friend, summer school, and the new job...    going to be busy so If this thread stalls no-one be alarmed    :hah:

Anyway - I have my radiator mocked up in the car to verify everything fits - I then removed it and painted it black as I hate the look of aluminum rads through the Charger's Grille...       The radiator is a little narrow for the stock 26" wide opening but it still fits...   so it works for me.  :smilielol:

Belgium R/T -68

Great project :2thumbs: When you installed your headliner please come over here and do mine, I'm getting a bad stomach only thinking
about. :eek2: You can drink as much horsemilk as you want during your stay. :rofl:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

mopar73

What oil pan did you use to work with the stock K frame?  The ones I've seen seem to be plated in gold

Rolling_Thunder

The oil pan if from Weld Tech Stainless Inc.  -  They offer their pans both natural and powder-coated silver   :2thumbs:

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

Can I go back to page 8 for a question? Did you have your K-member painted or powder coated? Is it gloss or semi?

mopar73

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 10, 2009, 02:37:45 PM
The oil pan if from Weld Tech Stainless Inc.  -  They offer their pans both natural and powder-coated silver   :2thumbs:
Do you have a link for them?  I can't seem to find them.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: bull on July 10, 2009, 08:11:00 PM
Can I go back to page 8 for a question? Did you have your K-member painted or powder coated? Is it gloss or semi?

No problem - the K-member was powder coated semi-gloss black by Verne's Chrome in Hawthorne, CA

Quote from: mopar73 on July 10, 2009, 10:29:01 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on July 10, 2009, 02:37:45 PM
Do you have a link for them?  I can't seem to find them.

http://www.weldtechstainless.com/

Rolling_Thunder

Well guys I felt that I should post something for ya'll to read...    life is getting in the way of my schedule but that is how it goes...      I am building a storage shed sometime in the next couple weeks to store all my crap...     I also got dumped by my girlfreind of 3 years so my mind has just been on other things...      Work is keeping me pretty busy as well....

Progress on the Charger...    got 90% of the PCM wiring completed...    just have to add a few relays and it will be ready to go in...       Currently making the A/C and heater lines for under the dash....     Radiator and fans are mounted in the car and the nose recieved a proper black out treatment...      I also have to find radiator hoses for this application and get my front and rear glass installed....    I am currentlyu hunting for new front bucket seats that are a little more comfortable than the stock ones...     

All in all I'm in a pretty depressed mood over everything going on but I'll get over it.

runningman

Sorry to hear about the GF, that sucks.  At least you have enough other stuff going on to keep your mind off of that situation....at times.

69*F5*SE

Yeah, sorry to hear about the GF too, I know it can be rough if not devistating.  Just take it one day at a time and move on quickly.   We're all here for you.    :2thumbs:

Rolling_Thunder

Ahhh    The GF thing I'll get over...    I got over the last 3 easy enough...        anyway - enough said about that topic....

So the plan for the Charger this weekend is get the damn A/C finished...    I have to order a few misc pieces and hose to get this ball a rolling....       and to think this whole mess started with "It'll only be apart for a month to get a quick paint job"     :rofl:

Rolling_Thunder

August....     jeez is it August already ?  whoa - time flies...     Well I go back to college in 2 days and I am no where near done...    but on the plus side I ordered a TON of stuff for the Charger...     relays, connectors, headlights, seats, AN fittings, A/C lines, window gasket, rear window stuff, Radiator Hoses, Fill port...      I finally decided how to route the heater lines - this required -10AN to 5/8 compression fittings, cutting tubes, and all that jazz...       So...       Seeing as I will be extremely busy for the next couple months - I still have hopes of driving this thing on xmas day - maybe not have it completed but at least driveable...     

I have completed the engine harness for the 6.1 Hemi finally and now just have some misc wiring to complete once the dash is in the car...   I have to wire in the battery (got a 0 gauge cable set and all the stuff needed to mount the battery in the trunk...) So I'll be doing that sooner or later...     The next major step is to get the A/C box mounted, put sound deadener on the firewall, and get the front / rear windows in the car to seal it up all nice and tight so I can install the interior...    After that it's the aformentioned wiring and a fuel system....    then she should fire and run....       all in theory.

So - I know you guys like pics so I haven't taken any recently - due to not much getting done....    haha     pics to follow

Rolling_Thunder

Alright guys - this whole not having a car to drive is getting to me - So I got my sh!t together and started working on my Charger again. Yesterday I finished up all the A/C box mounting and lines along with the heater hoses behind the dash. I installed the bulkhead connectors and wire pass through I planned on installing for a couple weeks. I got the dash assembly installed and I am amazed at how well everything fits thus far.

I installed my rear window today as well after cleaning all the old silicone off of it...    the front windshield was attempted to be installed, but it formed a crack so I ordered a new one...    I think i'll just let a pro install it - easier that way.

I ordered a fuel pump set up so I can modify my tank at a later date and button up the fuel system.

The glass guy comes Tuesday - once the windshield is in I plan on A) washing the car / waxing it     B) installing the interior.

Things remaining to do to finish the car at this point:
- Install fuel pump / lines
- Install Steering Column and Interior
- Minor Wiring under dash
- A/C lines, dryer, condenser, Compressor blocks
- Minor Wiring at headlights
- Add fluids and run
- Double check all suspension nuts / bolts

- ENJOY THE DAMN THING     :2thumbs:

Things down the Road
- Add Bigger Front Disc Brakes
- Add larger Rear Disc Brakes
- 18" wheels and Tires

I purchased a complete rear end out of a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T and will be retrofitting the rear brakes to my Charger - 12.6" rotors and an internal parking brake   :2thumbs:

I will be running PBR calipers on the front with 13" brake rotors on hubs -

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rolling_Thunder

I do have a few but I'm going to upload a ton next weekend once the glass is installed and as the interior goes in this week.   :2thumbs:

six-tee-nine

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

autodynamics

Rolling_Thunder

Not much progress today - got my Lokar dipstick installed...    mostly. FYI - Lokar does not list a 6.1L Hemi dipstick but the 5.7L Hemi dipstick works fine. I also got around to tightening up my remaining oil pan bolts - had a small seep so I snugged them down...      Pinched nerve in my back kept me from doing much - Tomorrow the Glass guy is installing my windshield - I have a job interview - but If i have time plan on installing more sound deadener and the steering column.