News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How about a food recipe thread

Started by mikepmcs, May 19, 2008, 09:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

The weekend is just about here and Saturday mornings the children always asks me to make pancakes for them.  Since I enjoy them just as much and they're very simple to make, the decision is not a difficult one.

In one bowl, mix:
1.5 cups of flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt

In another bowl mix:
1.5 cups of milk
2 eggs
3 Tbsp of unsalted butter (melted)
.5 tsp vanilla

Mix all together in a larger bowl.

Heat the griddle and melt a small amount of butter and pour some batter onto the grille. 

Now is when you can get creative.  The children like chocolate chips in their pancakes (so do I) however I have also put some crispy bacon (make sure it's cripy or the pancakes will be very greasy) and shredded cheddar cheese as well. 

When bubbles start forming around the edges, flip them over.

If it were up to the kids, they'd soak them in the maple syrup their "Papa" makes but with the extra goodies in there, just a splash will do it for them.

If you'd like to read about their Papa making maple syrup out his farm, you can do that here:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,11022.0.html

mikepmcs

Mike
That looks really good. I'll be trying the cheese and bacon style.

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

Twinkie mystery solved.  Courtesy of Todd Wilbur.(the top secret recipe dude)

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2704765/7885957

Ever wonder what is in Emeril Lagasse's "Essence"  courtesy of "the man."
well here you go.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

mikepmcs

How about a Jambalaya recipe that I concocted.  :scared: 
You can make it as hot or as mild as you want but I prefer hot! :naughty:
Better have plenty of  :cheers: as well.

1 big and deep skillet with lid
4 breasts of chicken cubed.
1 or 2 Kielbasa links(about 13 inches long each) cut in slices
1 pound of frozen, peeled, medium to large shrimp or fresh if you want(take the tails off when they thaw)
1 Pound(or more if you wish) Long Grain Enriched Rice(don't want the gooey rice for this one, that will be my fried rice recipe later on) It will work regardless but you don't want it to turn to mush(found that one out the hard way)
2 Medium onions(chopped)
3 Scallion stalks(green onions)(chopped)
3 medium to large tomatoes(chopped)
3-4 cloves of garlic(minced)
2 good sized Bell Peppers diced(i used one green and one red but you can use whatever combo you want)
Palmful of jarred Jalapeno's if you have them(the ones that are kind of pickled, Vlasic makes a pretty good one)
1 and 1/2 sticks of real butter
Olive oil twice around the skillet
1/2 cup White Wine for deglazing the skillet
1 cup chicken stock or you can use water if you want(you will need to add more as this is cooking but for now start with 1 cup)
1 tsp Dried Oregano
2 tbsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Thyme
1-2 tsp Cayenne
1 tsp Onion Powder
3 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Garlic Pepper(Sam's Club has it)
couple glugs of Tabasco Sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
couple glugs Texas Pete's Hot Sauce or any Louisiana style hot sauce(Franks, Louisiana, etc...so you get that tangy flavor)
1/2 tsp Black and Red Pepper Blend(called Hot Shot)
1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
:icon_smile_big:

start with the chicken
oil and stick of butter in the skillet add the chicken and cook thoroughly, then add the kielbasa and cook that too.  Deglaze the pan with the white wine, add the onions, scallions, tomatoes, garlic and peppers, and set to low, stir, and cover for about 10 minutes.  You want the veggies to get a head start on softening up.
Add all the other ingredients except for the shrimp, rice, 1 clove of garlic, 1/2 stick of butter and the garlic pepper and creole seasoning.
In a separate pan put the shrimp and the ingredients mentioned in the line above and saute for about 3 minutes on medium high to get them a little brown.
Once the shrimp is done put that with the other meats and add the rice(all the other ingredients should already be in there at this time)
Add the Chicken stock and cover and let simmer on low. 
Check the works every 10 to 15 minutes or so and stir
Add liquid as needed to cook the rice(just enough to cook and soften the rice because you don't want Jambalaya soup)
Once the rice is cooked the dish is done.
Enjoy and keep some Kleenex handy
Should be enough to feed a small neighborhood or just me and 3 friends. :2thumbs:
v/r
Mike

Manfred318

I cant cook for shit, though I have been told I can make one hell of a frozen pizza. (frozen pizza recipe to follow :icon_smile_big:) I thought I would share this one though. Moms recipe for her cherry yum dessert.

Cherry Yum:
Crust:
Combine:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 stick melted butter
1 cup chopped walnuts
Press into 13X9 baking dish. Bake at 350* for 15 minutes. Let cool.
Filling:
Combine:
1 Container Cool Whip
1 Large package cream cheese
3/4 cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
Spread filling onto cooled crust and top with one can Cherry pie filling. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving. Keep refrigerated.

Now for the coupe de pooper John's "hell of a frozen pizza":
Get yourself one frozen pizza. Doesnt really matter what kind. I like the Totinos crisp crust combination for a cheap one or DiGiorno Ultimate Pepperoni for a more refined taste.
Preheat oven as per instructions on the box.
Remove pizza from box and wrapper and place on your baking pan.
Add oregano, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and a pinch of salt to the pizza.
Bake until golden brown.
Let pizza stant 5 minutes before cutting.
Sit back and enjoy with a nice frosty cold beer of your choice.

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

mikepmcs

John, that Cherry deal sounds alright, almost bordering a little cheesecake taste action.  :2thumbs:

Here's another dip recipe that IMO blows any ranch dressing away.  So throw away the Hidden Valley powder and try this one.
By the way, I don't care for ranch dressing but I will eat this one(cause I made it of course :D)

1cup Mayo(Hellmann's of course, that's all I ever use for mayo)
1/2 cup quality sour cream
1/2 tsp chives(by the way I ran out the other day and chives are about $616.00 a pound :o)
1/2 tsp parsley(great all around generic spice and adds color of course)
3/4 tsp dill(awesome spice and I use it in my tuna sometimes..man what great flavor)
1/2 tsp garlic powder(granulated if you can, not the super fine stuff)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt(been using sea salt a lot lately but Morton's is always a winner)
1/4 tsp pepper(you could throw a little extra shake if you want on this one)
1/2 tsp good olive oil(olive oil helps bind everything and creates a harmony with the other ingredients...I believe congruity would be a good word here)

Stir it for a good while and put it in the fridge for a couple hours to infuse everything(don't need the 24 hours like my Bleu Cheese)
I think ya'll will like it. :cheers:

v/r
Mike

Manfred318

Quote from: mikepmcs on June 14, 2008, 06:53:12 PM
John, that Cherry deal sounds alright, almost bordering a little cheesecake taste action.  :2thumbs:
It was and still is one of my favourites. You shant be disappointed :2thumbs:
Mike, your dip sounds pretty tasty :drool5: I think Ill give it a try this weekend :yesnod:

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

mikepmcs

since ya'll are slackin'  how about some Arroz con pollo(rice with chicken)

First make the Adobo seasoning for the chicken

palmful of salt(about 2 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons garlic powder(granulated preferable)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp pepper
2 tsp tumeric(good color)
1 TBSP oregano

Sofrito(the sauce base for many dishes... in this case the rice and chicken)

1 medium to large onion(chopped)
1 red and 1 green bell pepper(chopped) you can use whatever you like here, red green yellow orange...
few cloves of garlic(minced)
1 jalapeno pepper(minced)
1 can green chile's(if they are whole chop em up)

The Chicken
couple rounds olive oil around a huge skillet(2-3 tbsp)
if you have chili oil, throw a tsp of that in there as well
lots of chicken, I buy the leg quarters(legs and thighs) usually come about 5 to a pack and they are cheap)
2 cups rice(set that aside for now)
put another round  of cumin in the dried rice
2.5 cups or more chicken stock
1 can of your favorite beer(i wouldn't suggest stouts on this one, basically a can of domestic beer)
1 can of corn(optional, but I put the can of corn in the sofrito after I drain the liquid and let that rest for now in the fridge)
you can also add peas and some ham if you wish(that is pretty common with a few recipes but I don't use it)
also some recipes call for green olives as well, I don't put those in because of the finicky crowd that comes over.(the olives actually go on after the dish is done)

chop up the sofrito mix in a big bowl and set aside for now
heat the oil on medium
season the chicken with the adobo
saute the chicken in the oil skin side down at first to get it going and cook til done
remove the chicken to a plate and rest it.
in the same skillet, put the sofrito in and saute that for around 6 minutes.
add the rice, chicken stock and beer and start cooking.  after a bit add the chicken and simmer the whole mess until the rice is done and the liquid has mostly evap'd.

serve with frijoles(refried beans) and tortillas if you wish.  How's that for some starch. :2thumbs:

enjoy

oh, if you want to make your own tortillas  here you go.

flour, salt, lard, baking powder

if you don't want to make a mess, buy MISSION brand tortillas.
don't eat them raw(out of the package) if you have a flat skillet or "comal"(tortilla skillets or warmers), brown them suckers a little, i recommend one of these though. :cheers:

mikepmcs

Ok, it's been a while so you guys get pea :nutkick: soup!
No soup for you!

No really, another request from my buddy(you know the guy  who wanted the corn chowder) so now he wanted pea and ham soup.  So what the hell, one shot and it seemed to be the right ingredients cause he and his wife and kids ate almost all of it in one sitting.  I have a 6.5 quart slow cooker BTW and it was nearly full. :o  I bet they are on the terlet today boy :icon_smile_big:

It's pretty straight forward so here goes.

- 2 packs(16oz) of cubed ham(or 2 ham steaks chopped into cubes)  I didn't use a ham bone for this one for the main reason that they belong in Navy Bean soup and nothing else. ;D
- about 3-4 cups water
- 3 cans of peas
- 1 bag dried peas
- 7 small potatoes or 3-4 medium potatoes(dice em up)
- 4 stalks celery(chopped)
- 4 good sized carrots(chopped)
- 1 medium/large onion
- celery salt- palmful
- onion powder- palmful
- garlic powder- palmful(you can use some real garlic if you want but no need in this recipe.
- thyme-tspn
- parsley- palmful
- basil- palmful
- oregano- tspn
- garlic pepper- palmful
- pepper- lots
- EVOO- tbsp or a little more
- real butter- about 1/4 stick
- a good size slow cooker/crock pot

Empty the water, 3 cans of peas with the juice, bag o' peas, ham(juice as well), potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, then add all the spices, oil, butter, on top of that mess.  Turn the cooker on high and after it gets up to temp(about 2 hours) stir it,  and then stir it once every hour.  About 9-11 hours later, you have what you want depending on your cooker.  The potatoes and the can peas are what give it the consistency it needs.(they will become really soft as time goes by and the stirring breaks them up and gives it that great coloring you are looking for)  No need to add flour or any other thickening agents.

I know some of you are gonna throw the puke sign up there, but if I blindfolded you and put it in front of you, I bet 9 out of 10 would think it was pretty good.

Shakey

QuoteI know some of you are gonna throw the puke sign up there, but if I blindfolded you and put it in front of you, I bet 9 out of 10 would think it was pretty good.

You cannot judge a book by its cover!

Here is a pot of my french Canadian Spilt Pea Soup.

On a cold winter day, it hits the spot.

moparstuart

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 19, 2009, 12:42:19 PM
Ok, it's been a while so you guys get pea :nutkick: soup!
No soup for you!

No really, another request from my buddy(you know the guy  who wanted the corn chowder) so now he wanted pea and ham soup.  So what the hell, one shot and it seemed to be the right ingredients cause he and his wife and kids ate almost all of it in one sitting.  I have a 6.5 quart slow cooker BTW and it was nearly full. :o  I bet they are on the terlet today boy :icon_smile_big:

It's pretty straight forward so here goes.

- 2 packs(16oz) of cubed ham(or 2 ham steaks chopped into cubes)  I didn't use a ham bone for this one for the main reason that they belong in Navy Bean soup and nothing else. ;D
- about 3-4 cups water
- 3 cans of peas
- 1 bag dried peas
- 7 small potatoes or 3-4 medium potatoes(dice em up)
- 4 stalks celery(chopped)
- 4 good sized carrots(chopped)
- 1 medium/large onion
- celery salt- palmful
- onion powder- palmful
- garlic powder- palmful(you can use some real garlic if you want but no need in this recipe.
- thyme-tspn
- parsley- palmful
- basil- palmful
- oregano- tspn
- garlic pepper- palmful
- pepper- lots
- EVOO- tbsp or a little more
- real butter- about 1/4 stick
- a good size slow cooker/crock pot

Empty the water, 3 cans of peas with the juice, bag o' peas, ham(juice as well), potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, then add all the spices, oil, butter, on top of that mess.  Turn the cooker on high and after it gets up to temp(about 2 hours) stir it,  and then stir it once every hour.  About 9-11 hours later, you have what you want depending on your cooker.  The potatoes and the can peas are what give it the consistency it needs.(they will become really soft as time goes by and the stirring breaks them up and gives it that great coloring you are looking for)  No need to add flour or any other thickening agents.

I know some of you are gonna throw the puke sign up there, but if I blindfolded you and put it in front of you, I bet 9 out of 10 would think it was pretty good.

ok i'm making the pea soup today , will report back later how i like it ,  The herb mixture smalls wonderful
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

mikepmcs

Awesome!!  Hope you started early this morning. :2thumbs:

The70RT

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 31, 2009, 01:41:37 PM

Looks like your one helluva cook Mike  :2thumbs: No wonder you never got married  :icon_smile_big: I used to be a chef in restaurants for 15 years but that was a long time ago, now I barely cook anything......then again neither does the wife  :P
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mikepmcs

Thanks, haven't killed anyone yet. :icon_smile_big:  After I retired, I was actually going to apply for the Art Institute(WashDC)  and try to get the voc rehab division of the veterans administration to pay for the culinary training.  They shot me down because of my back and knee problems.  Basically they said it might worsen my already existing condition.  So I went on with life but I really enjoy it.  This thread is like my own little cook book as well, I have a binder full of all sorts of crumpled paper with writing all over it for recipes i've done.  This is much friendlier.  I'll get more on here for sure but wanted to get some other ideas as well.  Already started for tomorrow's game.   :2thumbs:

I enjoy trying different things.  Challenges are a good thing for me, hence my new tattoo hobby.  I can't draw a lick, but i'll figure it out.

PS, I start working for that very same VA on Monday. :lol:

moparstuart

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 31, 2009, 01:41:37 PM
opps started at 10 am   may be eating it tomorrow

mikepmcs

keep her on high, you should be close by 8:00PM

moparstuart

it's softening up pretty good already

mikepmcs

The potatoes and carrots will tell the story.  Spuds basically have to go to mash status and the carrots really nice and soft.  Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.   :cheers:

WingCharger

mikepmcs

moparstuart

Quote from: mikepmcs on January 31, 2009, 06:25:40 PM
The potatoes and carrots will tell the story.  Spuds basically have to go to mash status and the carrots really nice and soft.  Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.   :cheers:
I think i got a little out of controll with the black pepper , I like it but i dont think my kids will eat it

mikepmcs

I have the same problem, I tend to get a little crazy with the pepper and other warm spices.  As evidenced by the million different peppers I have in my Jambalaya

bear

Last night I made some Caribbean wings for the game. I had to use a jalapeno instead of a habanero and I think I put in a bit too much fennel but they still turned out great.

*  1 habanero, seeded and chopped
    * 1/4 cup soy sauce
    * 1/4 cup honey
    * 1/4 cup brown sugar
    * 2 tablespoon sugar
    * 2 teaspoons fennel seed
    * 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    * 2 teaspoons allspice
    * 2 teaspoons dried thyme
    * 1 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 4 garlic cloves, chopped
    * 4 green onions, chopped
    * 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    * 1/4 cup lime juice
    * 1/4 cup orange juice
    * 7 pounds chicken wings

Blend everything together in a food processor until it is smooth then just pour it over the wings in a bag and let them marinate for 4-6 hours. O almost forgot save about a cup of the marinade you will reduce it down by a third or until it thickens and put it on later. Now preheat your oven to 350 degrees and put your wings on trays with some parchment. Put them in for 20 minutes. Now take them out and brush on the glaze and turn the oven up to 400 degrees and put in for another 20 minutes.   

mikepmcs