News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Custom dashboard or original?

Started by 69mopar, May 19, 2008, 04:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69mopar

I am resto-ing my 69 charger and I am tossing up either an original interior or a nice custom interior (including custom dash)
would the custom interior affect the value of my car?

1BAD68

yes, but if you box up all the old stuff and store it, then it wouldn't hurt the value.

Ghoste

I'm just getting too old I guess, I still think those interiors are perfect the way they came from Dodge.  :shruggy:

kab69440

Quote from: Ghoste on May 19, 2008, 07:33:45 PM
I'm just getting too old I guess, I still think those interiors are perfect the way they came from Dodge.  :shruggy:

68-70 B bodys got the LAMEST interior treatments of the period. Period.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

JimShine

+1

Ghoste

You think the interior of a 69 Charger is lamer than say, a 69 Fairlane Cobra or the GM A-bodies or an AMC Javelin?

Back N Black

I'm with you Ghoste, there are somethings that you just don't mess with. I'm all for handling and power upgrades but leave the looks and appearance the way it came off the line. I think if you got to rip the interior apart because you don't like it, maybe you bought the wrong car.  :Twocents:

kab69440

Quote from: Ghoste on May 20, 2008, 03:42:24 AM
You think the interior of a 69 Charger is lamer than say, a 69 Fairlane Cobra or the GM A-bodies or an AMC Javelin?

Everything inside the cars is just generic looking because it can be found on everthing else that rolled off the line that year. I realize the dash, doorpanels and rear seats were altered to save cost and hopefully boost sales, but c'mon...   Could it look any more like an afterthought?  I guess I just believe the 68-70 should have gotten something that screams "special" as did the 66-67. From a design standpoint, I just can't get over the fact that the halo cars of the day had so much in common with the taxi that sat next to it on the lot. Give me custom, let the Resto-Nazis drown in the Sea of Sameness (is that a word?) It's all in whatever makes you happy, I guess.
P.S. I actually do like the deep recessed gauges that Ford was using at the time. It's a nice look.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

suntech

I think you should go with a custom dash, but do it properly. Don´t just throw some aftermarket gauges in there. White face originals are also nice. :2thumbs:
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

JimShine

The Charger was more or less designed from the ground up for NASCAR. The interior reflects that to a degree. Especially the dash with its simple round, no nonsense gauges and rocker switches.

MoParMetal

i think the rally dashes are the best looking!

but since mine came with a standard dash im all for a custom/rally style dash

looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

WingCharger

Quote from: suntech on May 20, 2008, 02:12:44 PM
I think you should go with a custom dash, but do it properly. Don´t just throw some aftermarket gauges in there. White face originals are also nice. :2thumbs:
:iagree:

Foreman72

i myself have be struggling with similar ideas.  besides now audio and the few normal touch-ups...should i redo/custom-do the interior (provided i keep the old stuff) i'm not talking racing seats or anything wild but redoing the dash and maybe making it black instead of green...but i've settled that this is money i could be spending elsewhere on the car.  Who knows, i may get some aftermarket gauges someday, but i think i'm just going to bring mine back to original, save a nice steering column, ralley wheel and a B&M on the floor...thats my take...let the car keep its history, "mess" with the outside  :lol:
:Twocents:

best of luck :coolgleamA:
Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

BROCK

The 2nd gen is a flat panel - the easiest to experiment with a custom replacement there is. 
I don't for a second think of it as lame.  Purposebuilt is what I think of it!  Really, the Tic Toc
Tac is the lamest item if only because it needed a different style of dash to be seen properly.

All I'm saying is:  If the dash had a sweep to it from left to right, the tach could be viewed
headon. 

The dash is flat so the tach should've superceded the clock or at least have been designed
with the clock recessed in the middle instead.

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: BROCK on June 29, 2008, 11:04:57 PM
The 2nd gen is a flat panel - the easiest to experiment with a custom replacement there is. 
I don't for a second think of it as lame.  Purposebuilt is what I think of it!  Really, the Tic Toc
Tac is the lamest item if only because it needed a different style of dash to be seen properly.

All I'm saying is:  If the dash had a sweep to it from left to right, the tach could be viewed
headon. 

The dash is flat so the tach should've superceded the clock or at least have been designed
with the clock recessed in the middle instead.

TicTocTac went bye bye in my car.   The RBYJ.com tach looks and works great.     I wear a watch anyway. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

375instroke

Ditch those lame stock gauges and get some real gauges like a round tach, speedo, oil, temp, alt, gas, oh wait...  I went to get a temp sender for my car, and the guy behind the counter couldn't believe me that there was a gauge and not an idiot light for the temperature.  I guess he never saw anything besides a Chevy before and thought nothing could be better.  Idiot light for hot and cold.  Are you kidding me.  If you don't like Charger gauges, what do you think about Roadrunner gauges?

Corellian Corvette

My Dad is a car guy and grew up in the muscle car era, but mostly favors the GM cars of the time (I'm now the proud owner of his original '65 Oldsmobile 442).

When I told him I was getting a Charger, he had this to say about Mopars:

"Great engines. Good styling. Lousy Interiors."

LOL. I think that's a pretty fair take on things. I have to say compared to my similar years  GM cars (I have a 68 Chevelle, 66 Buick and 65 Olds), the Charger does have the flimsiest interior.

Anyway just thought I'd throw that in since we're talking about interiors.