News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I install the carpet on a 73?

Started by WH23G3G, May 18, 2008, 04:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I've got the floor pans cleaned, sprayed, and the hole tacked where the previous owner cut for a console shift. Now I'm ready to install the carpet kit. I put the back half of the carpet on the floor pan just to get an idea of how it fit. It sinks right into the floor pan to all the molds. There's just plenty of extra on the sides. Should I start with the rear or the front? What holds the rear carpet in place? There's some extra to go over the rear seat hump where the rear seat front is. How much of this do I take off? I don't have an old carpet to match for all the holes. So what's the best way to make sure I get the holes lined up. Is the side sills on the door all that holds the front in place besides the seat?

NHCharger

Yes the rear section goes in first. Don't trim any off the back or front edge. Install the bolts that hold the seat belts to the floor, mark where the bolts go with a piece of tape on the carpet. Always cut the smallest hole possible  (don't ask me how I know).
The only thing holding the carpet down is the door sills, seat belt anchors, rear panels, front kick panels and the seats. You may have to trim the edges a bit where they tuck under the sills. You might want to consider sound sound deadener/heat shield type material under the carpet. The floor boards on my 71 can get quite warm with the duel exhaust directly underneath.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

WH23G3G

I had a friend come and help get the front carpet in. And it looks pretty good. We got the dimmer switch all cut out and the grommet in, and the seat belt wires and bolt holes cut. I just need a few more screws that I misplaced for the kick panels. I also need the door jamb windlace to finish it off. My seat will be ready to go in Monday and that will be all I'm going to do for my interior restoration. So the front end is done, then the interior, and almost done with the rear suspension. Then the motor comes. I'm still enjoying working on it a lot, but I'm ready to get it out of the garage.