News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 LH exhaust hanger bracket, Are they all the same?

Started by WH23G3G, May 16, 2008, 07:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

I think I see the indentations in the floor pan for the dual exhaust hanger bracket for the LH side. I removed the lower seat cushion and it was right next to the floor plug. But the hanger I got from Year One didn't have the studs in the same area. On the floor pan it looked like the two top studs would be closer together and the bottom ones further apart. I ordered the TD6 bracket from Year One which says 68-70 B-body. But when I bought the actual muffler hanger from Year One they told me I need to get this TD6 bracket. Are the 68-70 brackets and 71-74 brackets different? Will the E-body bracket work?

Charger74SE

Here are some pics where the exhaust bracket is suppose to be located. There should be four indents on the front of the hump for the stud holes. They are about 3 inches apart, 3" x 3" . The plate is tacked to the hump at the 11 and 4 o'clock position. (see closeup pic) The plate on the back side measures 3 3/4" x 3 3/4". If the TD6 plate you have doesn't have the holes in the same place 3" x 3" then it won't be right.

Does the TD6 bracket come with the stud plate?

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE
USAF and A&P mechanic retired.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

WH23G3G

Yeah mine looks the same exact as yours. It comes with the stud plate and the outside hanger with the speed nut for the muffler hanger. So it's two pieces. Although I didn't measure the distance between the studs I found the indentations up further on the floor pan right where yours is. I put the stud place face down on the indentations and they all lined up. So I guess it's safe to drill through. They're 1/4" studs.

WH23G3G

I just drilled the holes out nice and easy and the bracket went in nice and tight. I just bolted the plate onto the studs and it's tight no play at all. Now I don't understand how the muffler hanger mounts to it. Year One gave me some weird looking muffler hanger they said was factory.

Charger74SE

Quote from: WH23G3G on May 17, 2008, 07:09:09 PM
I just drilled the holes out nice and easy and the bracket went in nice and tight. I just bolted the plate onto the studs and it's tight no play at all. Now I don't understand how the muffler hanger mounts to it. Year One gave me some weird looking muffler hanger they said was factory.

You need to drill two small holes in the stud plate at the 4 and 11 o'clock position (look at the closeup picture above) so you can tack weld that plate to the hump.

Here's some pics of the hanger that you need. This is for a 2 1/4" tail pipe. The round threaded u-clamp is not shown in the pic. It was worn out. You can use a u-clamp from a standard exhaust clamp to fix that.
I'm still looking for a reproduction of this part. Haven't located one yet.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE

WH23G3G

That hanger looks similar if not exactly the same as the one I bought from Year One. It came with the u-bolt clamp too. Thanks to your picture I see how it hangs up. So I guess I've got all the factory dual exhaust hangers there should be. I'm still waiting for the ones that go at the end of the frame for the tips. Of course I've got the floor pan plate and now I know I've got the correct muffler hanger and I've got the factory RH side hanger already mounted. So what holds the exhaust up from the mufflers to the head pipes?

Charger74SE

Quote from: WH23G3G on May 18, 2008, 11:37:26 PM
That hanger looks similar if not exactly the same as the one I bought from Year One. It came with the u-bolt clamp too. Thanks to your picture I see how it hangs up. So I guess I've got all the factory dual exhaust hangers there should be. I'm still waiting for the ones that go at the end of the frame for the tips. Of course I've got the floor pan plate and now I know I've got the correct muffler hanger and I've got the factory RH side hanger already mounted. So what holds the exhaust up from the mufflers to the head pipes?
Exhaust manifolds and nothing else.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE