News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

POWERTRAX LOCK RIGHT differential

Started by 73chgrSE, May 14, 2008, 09:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

Does anyone here have any feedback on this product, or use it currently. I'm looking for a sure-grip type diff to replace my open diff. POWERTRAX LOCK RIGHT #1240

firefighter3931

Quote from: 73chgrSE on May 14, 2008, 09:39:49 AM
Does anyone here have any feedback on this product, or use it currently. I'm looking for a sure-grip type diff to replace my open diff. POWERTRAX LOCK RIGHT #1240

I would use a clutch style powerlock unit instead.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

73chgrSE

What would be the advantage to that? I'm just learning about this stuff.

FLG

If i remember correctly i think the clutch style ones are rebuildable

firefighter3931

Quote from: FLG on May 15, 2008, 01:11:59 AM
If i remember correctly i think the clutch style ones are rebuildable

Yep....and stronger too !  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

NMike

Lockers are more of a race/off-road item. they work great, but their street manners are lacking. you will get some wheel chatter and locker snapping. the snaps are alot of fun, especially when merging onto the freeway. 200 meters after you merge, you get a loud snap.

Rayzor

I have one of those in my Jeep cj. Its road manners are a bit tricky. It has the tendacy to ratchet on and off in corners and makes the handling a bit tricky when it unlocks under power. slow corners like pulling into or out of a parking spot it makes this loud ticking noise and chirps the tires. On ice its a real drag to drive because it makes the jeep rear want to come around rather then track. But for max traction next to a spool this is as good as it gets. If you want quiet and good manners then go with a clutch style limited slip. just my opinion.

73charger528cid

I was looking into one of those I call Randy's rig and pinion they said it would not do well behind a high TQ motor and recomended a clutch type set up or a cone type for thier TQ handleing ability.

and believe it or not thier is away to rebuild a cone type I did it yrs ago with my 68 coronet and that section is going strong in my charger 8 yrs later.

I got the methode from a mopar mag back in the early 90s

shave .010 0r .020 off the face cones so they will bite into the case agaian take the 4 stock springs replace them with 4 clutch spings from a 727 TF .

Charger74

Has anyone ever looked at the Detroit TrueTrac posi unit???   Was wanting an opinion on this unit.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TrueTrac.shtml

73chgrSE

My friend got a complete S60(dana 60) from Strange engineering.I t's been a really nice unit. I see that they sell a suregrip(truetrak?) for $399. Here's a link to that page.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/064.html