News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MANUAL DISCS???

Started by TripleBlackGator, May 13, 2008, 06:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleBlackGator

My understanding is that there is such a thing as manual disc brakes. I see INLINE TUBE lists the parts. Can anyone confirm this with details and better yet pictures?   :shruggy:
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Charger1973

My first '73 had them.  It was a WL21 (low optioned) Charger and the car had no power brakes.  In '73 front discs were standard though.

TripleBlackGator

These are non-powered right guys? What does the master look like? Any pictures?
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Goodz

I had bought them through JEGS for my 71 Charger.  It should have worked, but the idiots working on my car said it didnt have enough brake power without a booster... so I bought one.  They said it still doesnt have enough brake power.  A lot of money later, they found out it was because of holes in the vacuum lines.  It still doesnt have the brake power it should, but thats because they did a halfass job.  I will get it done right one of these days. 

Nutshell:  It should be possible.   :icon_smile_big:
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

375instroke

Are you wondering about aftermarket or stock?  I had a Dodge van with manual discs.  I've robbed a few Darts of their factory manual discs for use on other cars.  It's a common upgrade.  Use the parts from a '73 and later A-body for use on earlier A, B, and E-bodies.  You can even use the A-body spindle with the caliper adapter and larger rotor from later '70s B-bodies.  Read these:
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/tech/pages/abody.html
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/tech/pages/b-ebody.html
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/dbconversion.shtml

71charger_fan

Power brakes don't develop any more line pressure than manual brakes. You just have to push a little harder with manual. My '71 stops great with manual brakes and I would never consider changing to power.

TripleBlackGator

Quote from: 71charger_fan on May 16, 2008, 05:53:57 AM
Power brakes don't develop any more line pressure than manual brakes. You just have to push a little harder with manual. My '71 stops great with manual brakes and I would never consider changing to power.

What side of the master cylinder do the lines come off of? Driver? Passenger? Do manual discs have the proportioning valve, metering valve, and holdoff etc. like powers discs do? Again, if anyone has pictures of the master cylinder and the routing of the lines directly underneath it would be greatly appreciated.

E5 Charger

Hi TripleBlackGator, my 74 has manual front disc brakes. Here are the photos you requested, I hope they help.

TripleBlackGator

Thanks E5 Charger! Even though yours is a '74 the pictures do help answer some questions.   :2thumbs: