News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering column shear pins

Started by Charger72SE, May 12, 2008, 08:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

scott,

your inner shaft looks really different than the ones I am used to.  is that one you manufacture or what year did it come from?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

b5blue

They may have injected it with the shafts heated?  :scratchchin:

scottdidit

As some of you may know the steering columns that were collapsible were made by Saginaw Steering Gear. GM and Chrysler both used this supplier for there columns for many years. Saginaw had to keep the designs slightly different for each company so on the GM version it is done as pictured and on the Chrysler version there was a ring all the way around without a hole drilled thru the center part. I think that may be the difference you are refering to. They both perform the same.
  Im guessing the material is Nylon but it could be a polypropaleen.  I have always wondered why you could not get a plastic stick for your glue gun and use it for plastic welding.... this might be the answer to the problem. However there would still be issues getting a good fill in the joint of the shaft.

b5blue

They make a "welder" for plastic bumpers, my friend had one 20 years ago, very expensive and a pain to use as there are many "types" of plastic used.  :scratchchin: I was thinking maybe they used suction on one side also? Who knows! 

RD

well i wanted to do a test to help this and bought a NOS steering repair kit from bradsnosparts.  learning experience number one:  adhesive was not in tube, left the tube and found a new home in evaporation land, and primer that came with the kit was well.. TOAST.  so, the OE repair kit solution cannot be tested at this time.  I went with RTV black and will call it good.  erring on the side of safety since the shaft will be held at the top by a retaining clip and the bottom by the bearing and gear box coupler.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

1974dodgecharger