News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Restoration IN$ANITY - has anyone ever felt this way?? Is it worth it?

Started by SanDiego70RTSE, May 07, 2008, 05:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHRGR SE

Two questions I get about my project:

What is this whole thing gonna cost? Dunno, there is no budget, just a game plan.
What gas mileage will it get? Dunno, don't care.

It's the artistry, the history and the tribute that drive my madness. Could you put a price on that?  :Twocents:

PS - the car sells when I am near death or dead.
Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.

triple_green

Here's the three things I've learned about this hobby:

You have to be in it for the love of the cars...because even if you think you are going to make money 90% of us don't. They only way you are going to make money for sure is if you buy a car that you are going to flip and you already have a buyer and have to put no money into the car to sell it. This rarely happens.

It costs virtually the same to restore a baseline charger from one of the less desirable years as it does a 69 R/T SE. So if you are trying to make money buy something that is going to be valuable when you are done.

Buy a car that is as far along on the restoration as you can. Someone else's work always costs less than work you have to do in the future. Of course the work has to be of acceptable quality.

Oh and here's a bonus: Don't ever buy a car without inspecting it in person. Pictures always make the car look better than it really is.

3X

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

squeakfinder

Yes. Your insane. And as long as you stay on this forum I think you'll be in good company. :lol:

Receipts? Yes I keep them. That way I have something to burn during the winter to keep me warm.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

MoParMetal

i feel it.

i look at all the body work i need to do and then i look at all the work its going to be swapping the 318 for a 383 in the Duster.

then i look at the photoshop DS440 did for me and a picture of a Duster with the front wheels up. :coolgleamA:

then its like shifting into high gear!  :drive:

money is a b*tch, but you only live once.
life is short. have fun.
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

0X01B8

Keeping receipts is more than keeping track of $$, which I stopped adding up a very long time ago.  Especially after 10+ years it's handy to refer to a receipt pile to figure out just what the hell kind of valve springs are in the motor ... stuff like that.

squeakfinder

Quote from: 0X01B8 on May 12, 2008, 09:04:12 AM
Keeping receipts is more than keeping track of $$, which I stopped adding up a very long time ago.  Especially after 10+ years it's handy to refer to a receipt pile to figure out just what the hell kind of valve springs are in the motor ... stuff like that.

Seriously, I keep receipts. It's handy to look back and see when I bought something. Or if an item brakes you can check to see if it's under warranty.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

41husk

You can't put a price on the feeling you get cruizing around in a Charger when its finished, and the looks you get makes you forgett about the cost and time put in.  If you are doing it for the future financial bennifit and not personal pleasure, it's probably not worth it. :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

gordo1968charger

68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

red bull

It's all relative...In 1984 I bought a '69 Coronet 500 383 for $450... Now in 2008 it's $24,500.