News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fire extingsher 101.

Started by BrianShaughnessy, May 11, 2008, 03:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianShaughnessy

In case somebody ever wondered why you should put an extinguisher in your car even if it didn't come from the factory that way...   I was at a cruise last niight and used mine up helping to keep some chevy pickup from blowing up or catching a strip mall on fire.    From what I heard there was a problem with the starter.

The fire dept.  eventually showed up but between mine and another guy's we managed to keep it down to just the pickup being totalled.   The pizza joint that the truck was in fire in front of wouldn't let anyone use their store extinguisher until it was too late and then it was found to be NFG anyhow  ::)

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

BrianShaughnessy

A few cruise pics anyhow.    More people came later..  I just didn't take many pics.  A local girly oldies band was playing...  the other 2 I wouldn't characterize as girls  :eek2: 

A guy I know bought the Road Runner last year for about $15K.   440 6 pack - wish I'd known about it  - I think it was pretty sweet deal.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bakerhillpins

Be careful what kind of extinguisher you keep in your vehicle. The dry chem ones, which are the most common will destroy electronics. This is why IT rooms install CO2 extinguishers.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

TUFCAT

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 11, 2008, 07:45:04 PM

Be careful what kind of extinguisher you keep in your vehicle. The dry chem ones, which are the most common will destroy electronics.

So do flames  :smilielol:

Old Moparz

I have fire extinguishers in my house, my garage, & one in my Satellite convertible. I'm sure I'm due to replace 2 or 3 since they're the one time use kind & not rechargeable. I had a small, underhood fire about 25 years ago that flashed a small flame for a second or two, & went out as fast. (my 1973 New Yorker, oil on the exhaust I think?) Scared the hell out of me & made me realize that I wouldn't have been able put the fire out at all if it didn't go out by itself. I would have lost the car back then, so I bought an extinguisher soon after.

Now I think I will get some for our daily drivers too.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Kevin68N71

In each of my cars I carry a fire extinguisher, plus one of those knives that allow you to saw through your seatbelt quickly if you should become jammed in....never had to use it though. :laugh:
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

bull

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 11, 2008, 03:07:17 PM
The pizza joint that the truck was in fire in front of wouldn't let anyone use their store extinguisher until it was too late and then it was found to be NFG anyhow  ::)

I didn't ask if I could use the fire extinguisher I had to use on a Chevy Caprice back in about '86. I borrowed the car from my boss while the lifters in my '70 Charger were being replaced and I took it to visit him in the hospital after he had an accident. When I got there there was smoke coming out from under the hood and when I opened it up to have a look at the 454 the carb burst into flames. I ran into the hospital waiting room, grabbed the nearest fire extinguisher off the wall and ran back out to douse the flames. By the time I got the fire out all the vacuum lines and wiring on top of the engine were melted. The boss wasn't mad though because he pulled the engine out and used it to replace the freakishly gutless 6.2 diesel in his '82 Chevy pickup. I don't even remember what I did with the spent fire extinguisher. I probably just took it back in to the waiting room and gave it to the person behind the desk. :shruggy: But yea, after that incident I put an extinguisher right by the front seat in my Charger.

71_deputy

This remindes me of the brother in laws- he bought a fully loaded 88 MONTE CARLO SS- was only a couple of years old- first nice car he's had- liked it!

He was driving up the 400 above Toronto when the car was bucking and stalling- had it about a week!

pulled over to the side and then flames came out of the hood- he grabbed his stuff out of the car and watched it burn

next thing happens is a trucker stops and brings his fire ext. out- he tells him to put that ***** thing away- guys looks at him like he's nuts.

brother in law says to him........" Whats good a half a car- let her burn!!!!!!!!! :popcrn:
1971 Deputy Challenger 383 4bbl-- 1 of 2 made!!
1967 Charger 440/auto
1973 Road Runner 340/4 speed
2000 1500 Ram Van

chargerboy69

Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 11, 2008, 07:45:04 PM
Be careful what kind of extinguisher you keep in your vehicle. The dry chem ones, which are the most common will destroy electronics. This is why IT rooms install CO2 extinguishers.

You are correct. If you guys need a Halon extingiusher just ask.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,42443.0.html
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Ghoste

I have a dry chemical one in my car that i've pulled the pin on once.  It was to put out an engine fire in a 70's era Camaro that was parked next to me in the piuts at a local dragstrip.  I was less trying to save his car than protect mine but he was still grateful.  I'm sure he changed his mind when he discovered what that dry chemical did as it was sucked into the no air cleaner carb.  :o

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on May 13, 2008, 08:16:41 AM
I have a dry chemical one in my car that i've pulled the pin on once.  It was to put out an engine fire in a 70's era Camaro that was parked next to me in the piuts at a local dragstrip.  I was less trying to save his car than protect mine but he was still grateful.  I'm sure he changed his mind when he discovered what that dry chemical did as it was sucked into the no air cleaner carb.  :o

Id rather rebuild an engine that rebuild an entire car or worse yet, but a new one to replace it....
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire